Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced)
In my quest to find a self-paced master in software engineering, I started asking universities that do have degrees in this format if there was any plan for that kind of degree in the future.

Here the response I got from Hodges:

"Unfortunately, Hodges University will no longer be offering classes in the UPOWER format starting in February 2018. All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks. The cost structure is also different as you would be paying per credit hour."
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
We saw some hints from an email that dfrecore posted that there would be changes, but I'm pretty shocked that they're ending that program altogether. Very disappointing, odd that they're discontinuing it as similar models are being considered at other schools.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The actual reason would still be up for pure speculation but one would imagine it's either from Low Enrollment (why bother), the cost of the programs are not producing the revenue to fund the programs properly or it's costing the school useful dollars that would be better served for other programs.

Really feel for those that enrolled primarily in this being a self-paced program. Even if you leave with credit, it is hard to not feel like time had been wasted. If you don't leave, now you are signed up for a completely different education structure. Hmmmm - that sounds sad as well Wink

Glass Half Full - You hated the Self-Paced format but couldn't get out and now you are overjoyed for this new opportunity!!! Smile
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(01-17-2018, 03:04 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Really feel for those that enrolled primarily in this being a self-paced program. Even if you leave with credit, it is hard to not feel like time had been wasted. If you don't leave, now you are signed up for a completely different education structure. Hmmmm - that sounds sad as well Wink

Glass Half Full - You hated the Self-Paced format but couldn't get out and now you are overjoyed for this new opportunity!!! Smile

The email that dfrecore shared implied that as long as you signed up for UPower prior to Feb 1st, your program isn't changing.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Yenisei
Yes, anyone currently in the program can continue on it, and anyone who signs up by Feb 1 can also do it. So if I was in the program currently, I wouldn't panic, but I'd be very motivated to get through it, and the sooner the better.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Yenisei
(01-17-2018, 01:04 PM)posabsolute Wrote: In my quest to find a self-paced master in software engineering, I started asking universities that do have degrees in this format if there was any plan for that kind of degree in the future.

Here the response I got from Hodges:

"Unfortunately, Hodges University will no longer be offering classes in the UPOWER format starting in February 2018. All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks. The cost structure is also different as you would be paying per credit hour."

(01-17-2018, 05:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, anyone currently in the program can continue on it, and anyone who signs up by Feb 1 can also do it.  So if I was in the program currently, I wouldn't panic, but I'd be very motivated to get through it, and the sooner the better.

I was running with the above response from Hodges saying that:

"All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks."

The key word is 'Program' and not 'Students'. That's good to hear all will remain the same for current and new students through to Feb 1st.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Well there goes my MPA Sad  I won't be done with my bachelors until later this year.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Sorry I created another thread, completely missed it!

I also asked why they were closing uPower, the response:
"The UPOWER format was very costly to the institution and not very beneficial for the student. We had to take a step back to reevaluate the programs that were offered in the Self-Paced Format. Unfortunately, at this time we do not know if we are going to reactivate the programs again."
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(01-17-2018, 10:27 PM)posabsolute Wrote: "The UPOWER format was very costly to the institution and not very beneficial for the student. We had to take a step back to reevaluate the programs that were offered in the Self-Paced Format. Unfortunately, at this time we do not know if we are going to reactivate the programs again."

Translated: "We tried to take on WGU and failed miserably..."
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • jsd, Yenisei
quigongene Wrote:Translated: "We tried to take on WGU and failed miserably..."

Haha, I think that's exactly or something similar that happened.
Oh wells, there goes my initial plan... Back to plan B...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 7 1,440 09-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 131 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,934 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,037 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 568 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 611 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 1,108 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 533 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 14 3,500 05-20-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Protesters Are Fighting to Stop AI, but They’re Split on How to Do It LevelUP 3 232 05-15-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy