Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) (/Thread-Hodges-to-stop-offering-uPower-degrees-self-paced)

Pages: 1 2

Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - posabsolute - 01-17-2018

In my quest to find a self-paced master in software engineering, I started asking universities that do have degrees in this format if there was any plan for that kind of degree in the future.

Here the response I got from Hodges:

"Unfortunately, Hodges University will no longer be offering classes in the UPOWER format starting in February 2018. All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks. The cost structure is also different as you would be paying per credit hour."

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - jsd - 01-17-2018

We saw some hints from an email that dfrecore posted that there would be changes, but I'm pretty shocked that they're ending that program altogether. Very disappointing, odd that they're discontinuing it as similar models are being considered at other schools.

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - RANSOMSOUL - 01-17-2018

The actual reason would still be up for pure speculation but one would imagine it's either from Low Enrollment (why bother), the cost of the programs are not producing the revenue to fund the programs properly or it's costing the school useful dollars that would be better served for other programs.

Really feel for those that enrolled primarily in this being a self-paced program. Even if you leave with credit, it is hard to not feel like time had been wasted. If you don't leave, now you are signed up for a completely different education structure. Hmmmm - that sounds sad as well Wink

Glass Half Full - You hated the Self-Paced format but couldn't get out and now you are overjoyed for this new opportunity!!! Smile

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - jsd - 01-17-2018

(01-17-2018, 03:04 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote: Really feel for those that enrolled primarily in this being a self-paced program. Even if you leave with credit, it is hard to not feel like time had been wasted. If you don't leave, now you are signed up for a completely different education structure. Hmmmm - that sounds sad as well Wink

Glass Half Full - You hated the Self-Paced format but couldn't get out and now you are overjoyed for this new opportunity!!! Smile

The email that dfrecore shared implied that as long as you signed up for UPower prior to Feb 1st, your program isn't changing.

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - dfrecore - 01-17-2018

Yes, anyone currently in the program can continue on it, and anyone who signs up by Feb 1 can also do it. So if I was in the program currently, I wouldn't panic, but I'd be very motivated to get through it, and the sooner the better.

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - RANSOMSOUL - 01-17-2018

(01-17-2018, 01:04 PM)posabsolute Wrote: In my quest to find a self-paced master in software engineering, I started asking universities that do have degrees in this format if there was any plan for that kind of degree in the future.

Here the response I got from Hodges:

"Unfortunately, Hodges University will no longer be offering classes in the UPOWER format starting in February 2018. All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks. The cost structure is also different as you would be paying per credit hour."

(01-17-2018, 05:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, anyone currently in the program can continue on it, and anyone who signs up by Feb 1 can also do it.  So if I was in the program currently, I wouldn't panic, but I'd be very motivated to get through it, and the sooner the better.

I was running with the above response from Hodges saying that:

"All the programs that are currently offered in the UPOWER format will transition into the traditional format where each course meets on campus or online for the duration of either 7-1/2 weeks or 15 weeks."

The key word is 'Program' and not 'Students'. That's good to hear all will remain the same for current and new students through to Feb 1st.

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - allvia - 01-17-2018

Well there goes my MPA Sad  I won't be done with my bachelors until later this year.

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - posabsolute - 01-17-2018

Sorry I created another thread, completely missed it!

I also asked why they were closing uPower, the response:
"The UPOWER format was very costly to the institution and not very beneficial for the student. We had to take a step back to reevaluate the programs that were offered in the Self-Paced Format. Unfortunately, at this time we do not know if we are going to reactivate the programs again."

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - quigongene - 01-17-2018

(01-17-2018, 10:27 PM)posabsolute Wrote: "The UPOWER format was very costly to the institution and not very beneficial for the student. We had to take a step back to reevaluate the programs that were offered in the Self-Paced Format. Unfortunately, at this time we do not know if we are going to reactivate the programs again."

Translated: "We tried to take on WGU and failed miserably..."

RE: Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) - bjcheung77 - 01-18-2018

quigongene Wrote:Translated: "We tried to take on WGU and failed miserably..."

Haha, I think that's exactly or something similar that happened.
Oh wells, there goes my initial plan... Back to plan B...