Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico
Member Wrote:Hello AsianStew,

I hope you are doing well.

Since you are very active in the sister forum that is more dedicated to completing undergrad degrees, I would like to share the Universidad Virtual del Estado de Guanajuato. It is an official online university from the state of Guanajuato in Mexico that provides a lot of degrees at a very affordable price. For example, you can study a Bachelor in Computer Systems Engineering for 18 dollars per course. Based on the information provided by them, you take one course at a time and it takes one month to complete.

If a person speaks Spanish, it might be a great place to earn a degree.

I hope the forum finds it useful.

Have a great day!

Virtual University of the State of Guanajuato Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/
Computer Systems Engineering Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/info-isc

Got PM from a member of DegreeInfo providing details on a virtual university in Mexico.
So, anyone want to dig deeper into this? Seems like an interesting offering for the price...
I went online and did a quick glance on this particular program, there are 41 courses.
First 5 courses you have to do 1/month, all subsequent courses can be double-downed.
That means you can finish in exactly 23 months the entire program from 0 to 41.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I could check this out. Might find a course that interests me.
Okay, I have taken a look. The masters and PhD require a Mexican CURP, so while foreigners could sign up for those degrees, without a CURP, it won't be possible.

They seem to state their open self paced language courses are awaiting genuine SEP accreditation, so it seems to be a take it under your own risk. But for the modest cost of 9 USD, you have nothing to lose. In a worst case scenario, the course might be good enough to pass an ACTFL exam. My Japanese is very rusty, so I think I'll give that course a shot.

I am also interested in the free Spanish grammar & spelling course. Only worth 60 hours, but maybe I will be lucky and it could be worth 1 or even 2 credits.

The masters degree is very affordable. Seems to be priced the exact same cost as a brick & mortar StateU university. The fact the university issues license numbers for masters free of charge is a very good sign the courses are legit.

A masters degree for 1000 USD seems like a real bargain. You can get it in only 18 months. The PhD seems to be a jack of all trades degree that accepts masters degree holders of a plethora of fields, seems to be a mix between entrepeurship and investigation oriented. I wouldn't exactly know how this works doing research in your house online. PhD costs around 7000 usd and takes 3 years.

(08-10-2023, 09:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Member Wrote:Hello AsianStew,

I hope you are doing well.

Since you are very active in the sister forum that is more dedicated to completing undergrad degrees, I would like to share the Universidad Virtual del Estado de Guanajuato. It is an official online university from the state of Guanajuato in Mexico that provides a lot of degrees at a very affordable price. For example, you can study a Bachelor in Computer Systems Engineering for 18 dollars per course. Based on the information provided by them, you take one course at a time and it takes one month to complete.

If a person speaks Spanish, it might be a great place to earn a degree.

I hope the forum finds it useful.

Have a great day!

Virtual University of the State of Guanajuato Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/
Computer Systems Engineering Link: https://uveg.edu.mx/index.php/es/info-isc

Got PM from a member of DegreeInfo providing details on a virtual university in Mexico.
So, anyone want to dig deeper into this? Seems like an interesting offering for the price...
I went online and did a quick glance on this particular program, there are 41 courses.
First 5 courses you have to do 1/month, all subsequent courses can be double-downed.
That means you can finish in exactly 23 months the entire program from 0 to 41.
You need a Mexican CURP number to sign up, which could be real tricky for foreigners. The social service is obligatory. Most likely you need to travel to Mexico and do some sort of menial office work like an unpaid internship for 2-3 months. Maybe for this specific degree it could be done online as a remote 6 hour a day unpaid internship. Length of this social service would not be longer than 6 months. So I guess it could be doable for foreigners if they can convince the university to do a remote internship. The curp will be the bigger hurdle.
To go to the UVEG I STRONGLY recommend you to be at least C1 in Spanish.
You have to do papers and examinations (with blocked screen and any detected attempt of going out is an automatic 0) in Spanish. The command of the language needs to be high. If not the most probable outcome is that you fail the test (at least the written one). Also There are a several papers, exams and even some videos you have to make in some subjects. Each course has at least 5 evaluations. Some of them composed, like the one you have to make a contribution to a forum, answer 2 others persons, and then write a paper about the thematic. The teaching is a mix of presentations and videos which you cannot text select for the translator in most cases.
The university itself is good, well paced ( 1 or 2 subjects) each lasting 3 and half weeks. You will feel the pressure if you cannot keep up since each week is one or 2 evaluations to present. If you do not present them on time your mark is penalized.
Not all months you can do 2 courses. Sometimes only 1. The first month you do not 5 courses. You can do 2 or 3 placement examinations (like TECEPS) and only in the beginning. Only if you want, you can do them as initial traditional subjects also. Subjects usually are Math, spanish and informatics. The initials months you only do one subject until you prove you can handle it and later on you can do 2 most of time.
You have a tutor to help you plus the usual teacher. Each has different attributions. Teacher for the subject at hand and changes with each new course, tutor for all your studies.
Is necessary to put time in these courses, they are not quick going. They require time (I stress that).
WES recognizes the University and each course are 3 credits. You have to be inscribed in a study degree and the Mexican government is notified and all your documentation presented to them. The study has a chronological order divided in blocs of subjects. Each term you can only do the subjects of that term. You cannot cherry pick the course you need.
To get in you need to make some paperwork with the mexican goverment an have you high school degree officially accredited by the Mexican government, either at state level (state of Guanajuato) or Federal Government. This is called "revalidacion de estudios". The university will help you with that (for a fee). You also need an official ID of the government (like a state or federal ID, not driving license as far as I know) that they accept and a CURP or certificate of where you life (which have to be done by the government). In Mexico you have to inscribe yourself to an official registry of where you reside and get a paper that declares that (this is the CURP and also comes with a code that identifies you).
The passing mark at licentiate (bachelor) level is 70%.
To get the degree you need to do the "servicio social" or social service. While it has a minimum of 340 hours or so in reality is a minimum of 6 months (if nothing changed). It has to be related to your studies and done in Mexico in benefit of Mexico... Is not a practicum per see but works like one, gives no credits and you need to do a memoir of what you did, learnt and contribute to the country. If you area broad you can ask to do it in the embassy or consulate of Mexico (if they accept you and in Spanish language). They may be other ways to do it. But first arrive there(is done the last 6 month of your studies).
It makes from time to time projects with American universities and from other countries. There are conferences for the students (for free) regularly (no credits awarded).
Lastly, the university is a faceless bureaucratic machine, be ready to handle that. It work sending tickets and waiting for an answer... which as you guessed many times produces the expected less desired result. They have telephone service but............ (hope you understand that). All in Spanish as far as I know.
The university is consonantly evolving and making itself better. A lot of change and opportunities to learn. IS a good place to learn, not to speed run or go to make some courses unless they are outside formal studies (Then yes, because they are structured different).
If you want to go to masters or PhD all your previous studies that grant you the access have to be accredited by the Mexican government, state or federal level plus all the prior.

I recommend it. Specially for the price. There is nice people and teachers and some less nice. You will need years to finish and a very good command of Spanish. It is work, but it will help you learn.The worst is the social service and the nightmare that is bureaucracy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • RachelB
Thanks for this thoughtful reply, Kabs. I have started the Spanish grammar course and wow, this is definitely not a course for Spanish beginners. You better be at least a B2. They ask grammatical questions in exercises that native Spanish speakers will have a really hard time guessing.

Very glad to know WES gives the thumbs up for this school. Really hoping to finish my Grammar course and hope it might be worth 3 credits. (Fingers crossed)
Kab Wrote:I recommend it. Specially for the price. There is nice people and teachers and some less nice. You will need years to finish and a very good command of Spanish. It is work, but it will help you learn. The worst is the social service and the nightmare that is bureaucracy.

Good to know. Thanks for the info! Wow, what detail... Same, I am interested in it due to the price as well, it would only work for me if my Spanish was better, I did French Immersion back in the day from grade 4 up to grade 12.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I finished the Spanish grammar course. Course can be finished in 4 hours. Some exercises require a computer. If you read through the text material and attempt the ungraded exercises, you should do well on the mini exams. The final is a 500 word essay about any topic you like. It must contain 5 interjections (like Ugh! Oh!, 5 analogies (such as her eyes glared at me like ice beams) and 5 metaphors which will be pretty easy since Spanish has so many of them.
Then, you must locate every noun in the text, and put them in a table. Write some synonyms and antonyms. Finally, you do the same for adjectives.

The final isn't difficult, but it will take you 2-3 hours assembling the tables. The format they give is very bareback, so it took me a while to get it organized. You finally upload it and grade yourself. You can mention if you feel it was a perfect assignment and if you learned something from the course. They then give you a digital form to pay 300 pesos in two specific banks so that the university processes the grade.

There are other open courses that seem to be in a similar format. A lot of tech courses like social media marketing. I would believe those courses could be done with deepL, there are no obligatory videos.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • RachelB
Could you transfer any of these courses for credits back to US?
(08-13-2023, 03:36 PM)Kab Wrote: Could you transfer any of these courses for credits back to US?

Not sure. But this is a State University. Just like the US, Mexico has StateU in most states in the country. So at least the regular degrees should be treated as RAs in the US. I will just have to pay the fee to get my course transcribed and later on get it translated to English.
The regular degrees are not a problem. I mean the courses that you can take as standalone. Outside a degree, if they are Given credits for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 4 1,010 08-31-2024, 10:40 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 512 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 554 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 1,936 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 1,077 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 493 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 1,628 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 1,192 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 1,272 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 4,363 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden