Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
(05-07-2018, 06:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I agree, but over 20 courses some will be fast and some slow and they will average out, unless cheating or just a rocket scientist. Big Grin

Just twenty, not a class more.  I'm neither a cheater nor a rocket scientist but I do play a mean game of Trivial Pursuit.  Big Grin
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(05-07-2018, 06:55 PM)MSK9 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 06:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I agree, but over 20 courses some will be fast and some slow and they will average out, unless cheating or just a rocket scientist. Big Grin

Just twenty, not a class more.  I'm neither a cheater nor a rocket scientist but I do play a mean game of Trivial Pursuit.  Big Grin

You win!  I am bad at card and board games. Big Grin   I do not have the answer.  I was just pointing out that college credits do have an accredited expected time frame.  There are always exceptions.  TESU could also just be over jealous?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • MSK9
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I don't get what the big deal is about completing a course quickly? You can take a CLEP or TECEP in a couple of hours. If you had them stacked back to back, you could rack up some serious credit hours. No one is questioning the validity of a CLEP.
Amy
BA in English at TESU - 2022
[-] The following 4 users Like originalamyj's post:
  • leland.kirk, Life Long Learning, Muldoon, sarg123
(05-07-2018, 10:54 PM)originalamyj Wrote: Not to beat a dead horse here, but I don't get what the big deal is about completing a course quickly? You can take a CLEP or TECEP in a couple of hours. If you had them stacked back to back, you could rack up some serious credit hours. No one is questioning the validity of a CLEP.

BUT, they are proctored, so they know that it's actually you taking those exams.

Since this is the first time something like this has happened in the 7+ years I've been on here, I'm guessing that there were SO many credits in such a short amount of time that they thought there is no possible way one person could take all of those courses - there's not enough hours in the day to do them all.

Just my guess, I could be wrong.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • leland.kirk, Life Long Learning, Muldoon
(05-07-2018, 06:36 PM)MSK9 Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 06:28 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.

If one worked Shooph 12 hours a day (3 SH = 48-hours minimum) it would take 80+ straight days.  8-10 hours a day would be 96-120 days with no days off.  I have done 16-hour days, but never for 80+ days.   I did the Excelsior College (1 SH = 16 hours) INL102 course in two days. I work so no way could I do 80-120+ days straight.

The only problem I see is that your math doesn't factor in variables such as learning / material interpretation speeds (which have no standard of measurement that I'm aware of) and reading rates.

I did Bible as Literature mostly without reading it, since I am familiar with the Bible, and it still took 3 hours. It takes a minimum amount of time just to flip through the tests. Bible as Lit is one of the shorter ones too, some of them are over twice as long as that one

Not saying it takes 48 hours a course, because I don't think it does, but some of those courses you absolutely need a fair bit of time for. So it probably depends on which ones he's thinking of
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

I think my longest courses took four days, but these were less common.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
I'm curious now what they saw as a surprising number of courses in a given time frame, because I was thinking the same as Amy -- if you already know (or mostly know) the material, blowing through a course is not dissimilar to taking a CLEP. If *one* person did that and set off their alarm bells, I don't understand why they're looking into Shmoop as opposed to the individual student.

My exams aren't proctored in my "normal" online courses, either. Theoretically, you could probably Google your way through them. But it's a violation of the academic honesty policy to cheat (duh), and if a student is found cheating, the logical course of action is to discipline the student, not decide the course is broken.

It still just seems like a bit of an overreaction, to me, to suddenly change the rules overnight. (And that's the part that bothers me. They can accept or not accept whatever they want, but they're not acting in good faith with students when they change the rules on things without warning.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 4 users Like a2jc4life's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, MSK9, Muldoon, sarg123
(05-08-2018, 09:36 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: ... It still just seems like a bit of an overreaction, to me, to suddenly change the rules overnight.  (And that's the part that bothers me.  They can accept or not accept whatever they want, but they're not acting in good faith with students when they change the rules on things without warning.)

It makes me wonder if Shmoop is telling the whole story (it was just a quick note). I would think that TESU would have either needed to see a bigger pattern of problem transfers, or be unhappy with Shmoop's response to their questions to take such drastic action.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
(05-08-2018, 09:36 AM)a2jc4life Wrote: I'm curious now what they saw as a surprising number of courses in a given time frame, because I was thinking the same as Amy -- if you already know (or mostly know) the material, blowing through a course is not dissimilar to taking a CLEP.  If *one* person did that and set off their alarm bells, I don't understand why they're looking into Shmoop as opposed to the individual student.

My exams aren't proctored in my "normal" online courses, either.  Theoretically, you could probably Google your way through them.  But it's a violation of the academic honesty policy to cheat (duh), and if a student is found cheating, the logical course of action is to discipline the student, not decide the course is broken.

It still just seems like a bit of an overreaction, to me, to suddenly change the rules overnight.  (And that's the part that bothers me.  They can accept or not accept whatever they want, but they're not acting in good faith with students when they change the rules on things without warning.)

I would be willing to bet that its something ridiculous, like 20 courses in a weekend or something

and as others have said, yes Cleps are fast but they're proctored as well. at a certain volume of completion, you would start to wonder if more than 1 person were taking unproctored tests on the same account

not to mention that none of the Clep test sites near me will let you take more than 2 a day anyway
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Shoomp bills itself as a college COURSE, not an exam (CLEP, DSST, UExcel etc.).

I just registered for one Summer Community College online class (3 SH) and on the registration, it says 54 Instruction hours.
20 Courses x 54 Hours = 135 straight days (8-hours/day) as a CC online course.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 178 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,734 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 371 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,169 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42