Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
speed has been a factor here for decades. The OG website that helped me find this forum was BAin4weeks - granted he used COSC, but he *literally* earned his BA in 4 weeks. People here are fast, there has to be something in that specific application that was a flag.
I know it’s probably already been discussed but I’m my opinion shmoop really makes you work hard to pass a course compared to other ace outlets. I spent a lot more time on shmoop courses than I ever did with SL. I actually had to look up the material and study and many classes took upwards of 20hrs to complete for me. The content of the courses is questionable because it’s so “shmoopy” but I feel like I still got a lot out of the courses and learned a lot about writing and literature. I hope it returns because it’s a great outlet for students who need a lot of lit/eng classes and has fun options for gen ed’s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paramedic12's post:
  • Ideas
(05-17-2018, 08:10 AM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I know it’s probably already been discussed but I’m my opinion shmoop really makes you work hard to pass a course compared to other ace outlets. I spent a lot more time on shmoop courses than I ever did with SL. I actually had to look up the material and study and many classes took upwards of 20hrs to complete for me. The content of the courses is questionable because it’s so “shmoopy” but I feel like I still got a lot out of the courses and learned a lot about writing and literature. I hope it returns because it’s a great outlet for students who need a lot of lit/eng classes and has fun options for gen ed’s.
Same. I did not find them easy or fast.
Amy
BA in English at TESU - 2022
I'm still holding my breath! I reaallly wanted to go to TESU with my husband and it's not looking good! I submitted a 3rd transcript which had 7 or 8 of my Shmoop courses to be reviewed the first few days of April and I contacted them 2 days before the mass email about Shmoop acceptance issue, asking them why my transcripts haven't been reviewed and that's when I learned about only 2 transcripts would be reviewed. You'd think they'd go by the date of submission or added to ACE-- to at least honor the Shmoop courses that've already been completed! I had them ok the 3rd transcript but they still won't accept the Shmoop courses!

As other said, these courses were harder and longer than most of my Straighterline courses! I'm pretty sure I actually cried and screamed thru a course or two. LOL
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
I had a friend test out of freshman year in 2 days. All with Clep. Natural science, English comp, humanities, math and Social science n history. All worth 6 credits each.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
[-] The following 2 users Like alleycat's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas
Testing out with Clep or DSST is different, because they're proctored. I would bet money someone got greedy and did 20 Shmoop courses in a week or something like that, and you can't even schedule Clep tests that often.

The flag is going to be the fact that unproctored exams were being blown through 5 a day or whatever and that's obviously impossible if you're actually doing the work. I would expect Shmoop to either add proctoring or else at the very least, force you to record your sessions ala Study.com
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • sarg123, Yenisei
Got my 2 shmoop courses approval today Finally .... !!
[-] The following 4 users Like mvk's post:
  • Ideas, MNomadic, mudball, Yenisei
This bites. I literally just heard about them a few days ago and was going to start this week!
(05-31-2018, 04:50 PM)sony732 Wrote: This bites. I literally just heard about them a few days ago and was going to start this week!

Since you aren't tied to TESU, you could do Shmoop and go to COSC or EC instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I think I am at a dead end getting the 21 credits approved. Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 154 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,485 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 362 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 456 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,140 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,331 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,319 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,472 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42