Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me figure out if my plan to transfer into UMPI makes sense
(08-19-2022, 02:56 PM)catlady Wrote: I wouldn't have enough Pell eligibility left to do a second degree

No one with a bachelor's degree is eligible to receive Pell Grants for a second degree.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 03:44 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 02:56 PM)catlady Wrote: I wouldn't have enough Pell eligibility left to do a second degree

No one with a bachelor's degree is eligible to receive Pell Grants for a second degree.

That's why I was thinking I could pick up electives I wanted for the first degree and transfer them over.
Truthfully I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get a second BA degree.
(08-19-2022, 02:56 PM)catlady Wrote: I did see that but would need 12 credits to have the full grant, which is why I found 4 courses I actually wanted. I wouldn't have enough Pell eligibility left to do a second degree, which is why in my mind I thought take the stuff I want that I could transfer, finish TESU, then do UMPI as I could afford. But I gather the plan doesn't make sense from the reaction here, which is why I asked if it did LOL

You need 12 credits over the entire semester not a session. You have to enroll as a full time student at UMPI. You can't get Pell for a second bachelor's degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • catlady
You should have enough communications credits that you can take some other upper-level humanities classes (in the additional area of study electives section) if you don't want to go with Study.com and that seems more interesting.

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 04:12 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 02:56 PM)catlady Wrote: I did see that but would need 12 credits to have the full grant, which is why I found 4 courses I actually wanted. I wouldn't have enough Pell eligibility left to do a second degree, which is why in my mind I thought take the stuff I want that I could transfer, finish TESU, then do UMPI as I could afford. But I gather the plan doesn't make sense from the reaction here, which is why I asked if it did LOL

You need 12 credits over the entire semester not a session. You have to enroll as a full time student at UMPI. You can't get Pell for a second bachelor's degree.

Yes in my head it made sense to enroll in one single full time session for 4 courses at UMPI.
I understand about the Pell. Would have been for 1 term at UMPI. TESU is in NJ so there's a program here that pays for a first Bachelors.
So in my head it would have been one term at UMPI then back to TESU for one term for the BA.
I gather from the reply here today that what made sense in my head apparently doesn't make sense so I'm not pursuing it.

(08-19-2022, 04:15 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: You should have enough communications credits that you can take some other upper-level humanities classes (in the additional area of study electives section) if you don't want to go with Study.com and that seems more interesting.

Did not see the courses I was interested in there unfortunately
@catlady, Welcome to the board, you have the bulk of the info from the template but it's missing info from the addendum or last post, the more details you provide us, the better.  So, you're a NJ resident?  What subjects interest you?  What was your associates in?  What's your budget, commitments, timeline you want to finish, tuition assistance or reimbursement maximum? Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

What you're trying to do is a degree from one place and transferring in similar credits to the degree from the second institution, it's repetitive work if you get two degrees with so many overlapping courses.  It should work if you apply to UMPI for the degree and only take those 4 courses for credit, transfer the credits to TESU, and withdraw from the program at UMPI, but I would not suggest it at all.  I don't see the point when you can do the following...

You have enough RA and residency credits at TESU already, if I guess correctly, your Associates was in Business.  Depending on your answers to my questions above...  What you can do is ladder up the credits you currently have and finish a BSBA in any AOS such as Entrepreneurship and CIS.  You can take Management Comm, Marketing Comm, and other "business/communications" courses towards the Entrepreneurship AOS.  The CIS would be a great addition for you.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • catlady
(08-19-2022, 07:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @catlady, Welcome to the board, you have the bulk of the info from the template but it's missing info from the addendum or last post, the more details you provide us, the better.  So, you're a NJ resident?  What subjects interest you?  What was your associates in?  What's your budget, commitments, timeline you want to finish, tuition assistance or reimbursement maximum? Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

What you're trying to do is a degree from one place and transferring in similar credits to the degree from the second institution, it's repetitive work if you get two degrees with so many overlapping courses.  It should work if you apply to UMPI for the degree and only take those 4 courses for credit, transfer the credits to TESU, and withdraw from the program at UMPI, but I would not suggest it at all.  I don't see the point when you can do the following...

You have enough RA and residency credits at TESU already, if I guess correctly, your Associates was in Business.  Depending on your answers to my questions above...  What you can do is ladder up the credits you currently have and finish a BSBA in any AOS such as Entrepreneurship and CIS.  You can take Management Comm, Marketing Comm, and other "business/communications" courses towards the Entrepreneurship AOS.  The CIS would be a great addition for you.

I have an Associates in Science. I am a NJ resident.
I have enough Pell left to finish my BA Comm at TESU. TESU is a NJ school, which also means I qualify for a resident program for people pursuing their first BA. I thought I could manage to grab the 12 elective credits from UMPO on my Pell money then transfer them into TESU and finish using the resident grant for BA degrees.
Yes I had considered just taking the 4 courses at UMPI and transferring them to TESU then withdrawing from UMPI.
My goal was and is a BA in Comm. I was just trying to get come courses I thought were interesting.
Yes I do have enough residency credits at TESU.
Money is very tight. I have done everything on Pell grant money. I have been out of work (which is why I went back this year, while I recovered from surgery). There is no cash to do it on my own at present, maybe one day down the line.
There's no hurry but with 16 to go I sort of want to finish it.
I'm not ruling out ever pursuing another degree but right now I want to finish this BA and take a little break. 
I have to look at a CIS, I'm not sure what it entails.
Thank you for the questions :-)
@catlady, you may want to copy/paste a screenshot of your BSBA General Management "What if I change my program" academic evaluation. You may be very close to finishing that degree as well, if you still have financial aid, I would use up all the grant you can get for both degrees instead of switching schools to get the credit and transferring back. Again, do a "what if" and remove any personal details, but do provide everything including the "other courses" and notes at the bottom of the evaluation.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • catlady
(08-20-2022, 12:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @catlady, you may want to copy/paste a screenshot of your BSBA General Management "What if I change my program" academic evaluation.  You may be very close to finishing that degree as well, if you still have financial aid, I would use up all the grant you can get for both degrees instead of switching schools to get the credit and transferring back.  Again, do a "what if" and remove any personal details, but do provide everything including the "other courses" and notes at the bottom of the evaluation.

An interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Thank you for that!
I'm very close to the BA Liberal Studies General Management (also the BA Liberal Studies Humanities). 
So if I took what I needed for for the BA Liberal Studies General Management, can you get 2 different BAs at the same time from TESU?
(08-20-2022, 08:45 AM)catlady Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 12:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @catlady, you may want to copy/paste a screenshot of your BSBA General Management "What if I change my program" academic evaluation.  You may be very close to finishing that degree as well, if you still have financial aid, I would use up all the grant you can get for both degrees instead of switching schools to get the credit and transferring back.  Again, do a "what if" and remove any personal details, but do provide everything including the "other courses" and notes at the bottom of the evaluation.

An interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Thank you for that!
I'm very close to the BA Liberal Studies General Management (also the BA Liberal Studies Humanities). 
So if I took what I needed for for the BA Liberal Studies General Management, can you get 2 different BAs at the same time from TESU?

You can get up to two different degrees (e.g., BA and BS) with two areas of study each. I think bjcheung77 was referring to the BSBA in General Management (not the BALS in General Management).

• catlady

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 8 509 Yesterday, 10:44 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 33 10,452 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 205 10-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,603 10-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 312 10-17-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,798 10-16-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Enrollment and transfer evaluation process AverageAlien 18 825 10-15-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 97,033 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress wkshasta 16 748 10-12-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klone
Question Transfer Credit Questions SierraAZ1395 10 569 10-10-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77