Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan.
Your Location: Florida.
Your Age: 21.
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelor's in Psychology.
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 8 and 21 international.

WGU (8cr) 
• SCIE C683 Natural Science Lab (3)
• COMM D339 Technical Communication (3)
• ITSW D279 User Interface Design (3)

International (21cr)
• ANALYTICAL DRAWING I (4) Grade: A
• ANALYSIS OF DISCURSIVE TEXTS (Spanish) (4) Grade: B
• COMPUTARIZED DESIGN I (3) Grade: B 
• ANALYTICAL DRAWING II (4) Grade: A
• REDACTION OF DISCURSIVE TEXTS I (Spanish) (3) Grade: A
• INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY (3) Grade: A
• INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY (3) Grade: B 

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 6
WGU Academy (6cr) 
• Introduction to Communication and
• Reflective Development (3)
English Composition 1 (3)

Any certifications or military experience?: No, but I'm open to getting some certifications if necessary.
Budget: $2-3k over FAFSA coverage.
Commitments: Not many at the moment. Benefits of getting laid off, I guess. Hopefully, I'll have a part-time job by January.
Dedicated time to study: 30hrs/week or more.
Timeline: I'm hoping I can enroll in a Master's program by their Fall 2025 deadline, which is the beginning of October.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Max. FAFSA Pell Grant. 

Hi there! I've been checking out this forum for the past few days after I decided to attend UMPI Spring 2025 Session 1, and it's been so helpful. Unfortunately, the school takes a little while to respond and I haven't had much luck getting all my concerns answered, so I was wondering if you could give me a hand.

First, I'd like to give you some background: I'm originally from the Dominican Republic, born and raised there. I finished highschool and one year of college before moving to the United States, so most of my education is based internationally. Earlier last year I started taking classes with WGU Academy to gain admission to WGU without having to take an English test or submit extra documents as I didn't have access to them, and I ended up enrolling for the June 2024 Start Date. Long story short, WGU isn't for me lol. So, now I'm a little indecisive about what the best course of action is in my case: 

1. Getting my highschool transcripts wouldn't be very easy and fairly expensive with the translation work + evaluation. So, since I have 29 credits from higher-ed and 8 of those are from an institution in the US, would I be able to complete the 60cr waiver with Sophia classes? Or maybe, should I do the BOG AAS with Pierpont?

2. Also, if I do the AAS with Pierpont, would that waive the English test requirement? I'm trying to find the most straightforward and least expensive way to go about meeting the admission requirements. I was just thinking that by completing the AAS I could save some money and time, without having to jump through platforms and institutions trying to get my highschool transcripts, translating them, evaluating them, taking Sophia classes for gen-eds, taking an English test, etc.

Thank you! I know this is a lot, and I appreciate it so much.

The Pierpont AAS really isn't an option now. The program underwent big changes on October 4th.

You'll probably need your high school transcripts. You can take the Duolingo exam for English. UMPI accepts that no problem.

If you want your international credits to transfer then you'll need to have them evaluated by an agency such as WES. UMPI has a list of acceptable evaluators on their website. Info about the English requirements are on the website as well.

https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/yourpace-students/
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Hackingat40
(Today, 10:26 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The Pierpont AAS really isn't an option now. The program underwent big changes on October 4th.

You'll probably need your high school transcripts. You can take the Duolingo exam for English. UMPI accepts that no problem.

If you want your international credits to transfer then you'll need to have them evaluated by an agency such as WES. UMPI has a list of acceptable evaluators on their website. Info about the English requirements are on the website as well.

https://www.umpi.edu/admissions/yourpace-students/

Thanks for the response! Yes, I am aware of all this. Just wanted to see if there was a way around it in the specific situation I described. If you don't mind me asking, what happened to the Pierpont AAS? Why is it not an option anymore?
There's threads on the changes at Pierpont. You now need to take classes at Pierpont which cost a few grand.
Welcome to the board, in short, with the budget you have, I would just do the UMPI AALS (freebie), BA Psych, and take 4 classes towards the MAOL. You can use your Pell Grant/Fin Aid for everything towards your undergraduate studies, with the $2-3K, you can try to finish the 9 classes for the MAOL and be done with the Bachelors/Masters combo! Even though the MAOL is more similar to a Business degree, I think it has a few classes similar to a MA/MS Psych with an I/O concentration or component, just the number of classes in those subjects are different...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(8 hours ago)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, in short, with the budget you have, I would just do the UMPI AALS (freebie), BA Psych, and take 4 classes towards the MAOL.  You can use your Pell Grant/Fin Aid for everything towards your undergraduate studies, with the $2-3K, you can try to finish the 9 classes for the MAOL and be done with the Bachelors/Masters combo!  Even though the MAOL is more similar to a Business degree, I think it has a few classes similar to a MA/MS Psych with an I/O concentration or component, just the number of classes in those subjects are different...
Thanks for answering! I was looking into the UMPI AALS program, and it sounds like a good deal. Are you recommending I add the AALS to the BA Psych and then “forget about it”? Would that be so all my art-related credits count towards my electives or what exactly is the benefit of adding this program? I'm a little confused with all the info I've read. If my Pell Grant covers everything, I might use the money to do a postbacc and get some research experience before applying for my master's, but thanks for the MAOL suggestion!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,520 10 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 273 Today, 09:31 AM
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,744 Yesterday, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 96,822 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress wkshasta 16 658 10-12-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klone
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,234 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 464 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 430 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,275 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,228 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM