Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural Science requirement
I have 14/15 credits for Natural Science requirements, I have taken the following and passed.

Astronomy
Environment and Humanities: Race to save Planet Earth

I need 1 more credit, so 1 more class. FCP recommends these 2 courses before taking the Biology CLEP.

FCP also recommends the Biology CLEP over Physical Geology DSST, do you agree? I do prefer the 4 set multiple choice over the CLEP 5, though.

Biology is rated a 3, but I fear this exam, any input? Some positive encouragement? Any advice?

Which natural science tests have you taken? How long/how many hours of study did you put in?
I've taken Environment & Humanity (2 days of study; score: 59), Astronomy (a week of study; score: 72), Biology (~2 weeks of study?; score: 64), and Natural Sciences (a week of study; score: 62). The E&H DSST will help you a bit with biology, and both of those DSSTs will give you a bit of a head start for Natural Sciences.

The Biology vs. Geology is a tough one. I, too, prefer DSSTs to CLEPs, but there will be more study resources specifically tailored to the CLEP than the Geology test. Biology was not an easy exam (though definitely passable with a bit of work), and I did not find the REA practice tests to be very similar to the CLEP. Additionally, I had completed a highschool biology course before I took the CLEP. It was my first CLEP, too, so it's been too long for me to remember exactly how difficult it was.

You may want to take the Natural Sciences CLEP if you have not recently taken biology; it is broader, but deeper. I've heard it said that if you took up to 10th grade science, you are probably good to go for the Natural Science CLEP. I didn't have any background in physics or chemistry, and I still passed with a decent score because I had background in Biology.

Something else to consider: both Biology and Natural Sciences are 6-credit exams, so they will cover a lot more information. Since you don't need that many credits, Geology might be the way to go, as there is probably not as great of a breadth on that exam. Personally, Geology sounds really fun (I love science!), so I might go for that one since it looks interesting. Wink

Another option may be to take the "Here's to Your Health" DSST. I have not taken this exam, so I don't know how easy/difficult it is, but it may be something to look into if that topic sounds interesting to you. Smile

That was a lot of completely random thoughts, but I hope some of them were a bit helpful. Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Lady Grace of Pemberley Wrote:I've taken Environment & Humanity (2 days of study; score: 59), Astronomy (a week of study; score: 72), Biology (~2 weeks of study?; score: 64), and Natural Sciences (a week of study; score: 62). The E&H DSST will help you a bit with biology, and both of those DSSTs will give you a bit of a head start for Natural Sciences.

The Biology vs. Geology is a tough one. I, too, prefer DSSTs to CLEPs, but there will be more study resources specifically tailored to the CLEP than the Geology test. Biology was not an easy exam (though definitely passable with a bit of work), and I did not find the REA practice tests to be very similar to the CLEP. Additionally, I had completed a highschool biology course before I took the CLEP. It was my first CLEP, too, so it's been too long for me to remember exactly how difficult it was.

You may want to take the Natural Sciences CLEP if you have not recently taken biology; it is broader, but deeper. I've heard it said that if you took up to 10th grade science, you are probably good to go for the Natural Science CLEP. I didn't have any background in physics or chemistry, and I still passed with a decent score because I had background in Biology.

Something else to consider: both Biology and Natural Sciences are 6-credit exams, so they will cover a lot more information. Since you don't need that many credits, Geology might be the way to go, as there is probably not as great of a breadth on that exam. Personally, Geology sounds really fun (I love science!), so I might go for that one since it looks interesting. Wink

Another option may be to take the "Here's to Your Health" DSST. I have not taken this exam, so I don't know how easy/difficult it is, but it may be something to look into if that topic sounds interesting to you. Smile

That was a lot of completely random thoughts, but I hope some of them were a bit helpful. Smile

I appreciate the reply. I already have the CliffsAP Biology book and also the REA Biology book, so I might just study for 2-3 weeks and hope for the best.
robe4658 Wrote:I appreciate the reply. I already have the CliffsAP Biology book and also the REA Biology book, so I might just study for 2-3 weeks and hope for the best.

Sounds good. Smile Also, see if you can get the Official CLEP Study Guide practice test; although I didn't take it, I think it would be more accurate than the REA guide practice tests from my prior experience. Also, here is the link to the free Peterson's practice tests for military members and their families (i.e. nephews, cousins, grandchildren, etc.): CLEP Prep

Let us know how it goes! Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
I need 3 more "Bio and Phys Science General Ed." credits, does the Environment and Humanity DSST usually count for that requirement? I have an email in to my advisor at UMUC and the local community college, but since it's the holidays I probably won't hear back for a while.
jd50 Wrote:I need 3 more "Bio and Phys Science General Ed." credits, does the Environment and Humanity DSST usually count for that requirement? I have an email in to my advisor at UMUC and the local community college, but since it's the holidays I probably won't hear back for a while.

Yes, I would think so -- I took Environment & Humanity: The Race to Save the Planet, and it is under my "Natural Sciences/Math" section. Hope that helps. Smile

EDIT: I'm now a Knight/Dame!
CLEPs:

DSSTs:

Other Courses:

120/120 - DONE!!!
Lady Grace of Pemberley Wrote:Yes, I would think so -- I took Environment & Humanity: The Race to Save the Planet, and it is under my "Natural Sciences/Math" section. Hope that helps. Smile

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with my community college and they said it would only count as a science elective, but I need the science GER credits Sad
jd50 Wrote:Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with my community college and they said it would only count as a science elective, but I need the science GER credits Sad

Did they give you a list of choices? Policies are so different among schools that it makes it hard for us to help you without knowing exactly which options you actually have. You may be able to find a written policy on their website.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Just from what I've seen, Environment & Humanity is not a widely accepted test because it rarely aligns with a course offered by colleges. As NAP said, you have to find the written policy. Schools often have a list of acceptable tests and their equivalencies.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
NAP Wrote:Did they give you a list of choices? Policies are so different among schools that it makes it hard for us to help you without knowing exactly which options you actually have. You may be able to find a written policy on their website.

They said that they put a heavy emphasis on the science courses, so they will not award science GER credits for CLEP or DSST exams, only science elective credits. They require you to actually take a course for it to apply towards the GER credits. They said that straighterline Physices of Intro to Environmental Science would transfer in as 3 science GER credits. I'm trying to decide which one to take. I started a thread on that subject but I'm still waiting for moderator approval...

This is for my community college, I'm also taking classes at University of Maryland University College and they will accept CLEP or DSST exams for the GER credits. My problem is that UMUC does not offer an AA degree, so I'm trying to get that through my community college while also pursing a computer science degree at UMUC. These are the last 3 credits that I will need for my AA degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CBE program for data analysis or data science? FreeAgnes 3 422 08-22-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 532 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 563 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 507 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 2,059 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 989 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 633 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,711 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 5,110 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 21,986 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts