Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree
So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree
https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-bu...bs-2023-10
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Arizona State has a conceptually related online MS in Complex Systems Science.
(10-05-2023, 04:25 PM)LevelUP Wrote: So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree
https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-bu...bs-2023-10

Why not making a Liberal Arts degree with a minor on $_INSERT_THING_HERE instead of creating a whole Major out of it.

Creating courses is expensive, teaching them only once to a few students is even more, customized degrees seem like an easy way to make college even more expensive.
So the example in the story took classes he made up himself. I would love to make up my own curriculum. How do I do that?
(10-06-2023, 10:29 AM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: So the example in the story took classes he made up himself. I would love to make up my own curriculum. How do I do that?

Goddard College, bachelor's and master's programs
Antioch University MA in Humanities, Self-Designed
Antioch University MA in Social Sciences, Self-Designed
Prescott College MA in Interdisciplinary Studies
Kairos University, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs might be playing in this category, with distinctives including its Christian focus.
I believe South Harmon Institute of Technology started an experimental student designed curriculum some years ago but I haven't seen follow-up on that for a while.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • BadSquirrelBeta, DeanLewis
(10-06-2023, 11:43 AM)MNomadic Wrote: I believe South Harmon Institute of Technology started an experimental student designed curriculum some years ago but I haven't seen follow-up on that for a while.

As the Dean of South Harmon, I'm here to mention that we are still kicking! Albeit, our provisional accreditation from the State Board of Education has never been realized as a settled matter,  at S.H.I.T., your future is in your hands, dream big!

https://www.southharmoninstituteoftechno...academics/
[-] The following 2 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • BadSquirrelBeta, MNomadic
Why be limited to one major? Students can decide what they want to study in and have double majors or several minors, maybe different concentrations, etc. It's great that students have the option to choose a specific path, then ladder or pivot when they need to after the associates, or bachelors, even up to the masters level. Some colleges or universities already have MALS with a 'design your own studies' emphasis, such as TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-06-2023, 12:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Why be limited to one major? Students can decide what they want to study in and have double majors or several minors, maybe different concentrations, etc.  It's great that students have the option to choose a specific path, then ladder or pivot when they need to after the associates, or bachelors, even up to the masters level.  Some colleges or universities already have MALS with a 'design your own studies' emphasis, such as TESU.

Perhaps a Bachelor's in LPCD - laddering, pivoting and credential design studies?
(10-05-2023, 04:50 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Arizona State has a conceptually related online MS in Complex Systems Science.

And then you continue with the PhD in Complexity Sciences from ISCTE - Portugal

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-Portugal

But in the old days (1972), there was a PhD program in operational research and social systems science at Wharton. I guess they could study related things, but of course, Lorenz article came out in 1972.

Reference:
Lorenz, E. (1972). Predictability: Does the flap of a butterfly's wing in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?. https://mathsciencehistory.com/wp-conten...effect.pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,967 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 145 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 712 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 298 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 685 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 297 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 235 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,234 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,609 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 610 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar