Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBE program for data analysis or data science?
My husband is looking into getting into data science but wants a degree instead of being self-taught and prefers a CBE program. I know about WGU but am trying to find other programs to consider. He wants a bachelors and then ultimately move on to a master's. I've seen a lot of self-paced, but they aren't really CBE that i can tell (they seem to be used interchangeably but dont really seem comparable?). I've gone cross-eyed at this point researching and am looking for y'all's help. I'm essentially looking for a list of programs instead of degree plans, but can fill out the template if needed.
Purdue University Global (ExcelTrack) and UMass Global have subscription-priced CBE bachelor’s with major or specialization in data analytics.
Yes, I would suggest those to institutions for CBE... If you wanted to see the list we've got on the WIKI, it's here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

Having said that, I still recommend a balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience... It's best to fill in the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

An example, Pierpont BOG AAS with an Info Systems emphasis, UMPI BAS with a minor or two plus the 3 classes that go towards the MAOL, then the extra Coursera ACE credits (for 40+ technical credits, also used for minors), last but not least, add to that the EdX HarvardX Data Science cert (freebie).
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hey, I totally get the confusion—CBE (Competency-Based Education) programs can be tricky to track down, especially when you’re trying to differentiate them from just self-paced programs. WGU is definitely one of the most well-known for CBE, but there are a few other options you might want to look into.

Here are a couple of programs that offer CBE or similar flexible learning options in data science or data analysis:

Purdue University Global: They offer a Bachelor of Science in Analytics that’s designed to be flexible and allows you to move through the material as you demonstrate your competency.

Capella University: Capella has a FlexPath option, which is competency-based and allows students to move through courses at their own pace. They offer both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in data-related fields.

Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU): They have some online programs that are pretty flexible, and while they may not be pure CBE, they do offer self-paced options where you can advance quickly if you already know the material.

University of Wisconsin Extended Campus: They have a Bachelor of Science in Data Science that offers a more flexible, online format. It’s not purely CBE but could be worth a look.

Northern Arizona University: They offer a Personalized Learning program that’s competency-based and self-paced. It’s more general, but you can tailor it toward data-related fields.

It’s true that the terms “self-paced” and “CBE” often get mixed up, but CBE is more about proving you’ve mastered the material and then moving on, regardless of how long it takes. Self-paced is more about going as fast or as slow as you like, but not necessarily proving competency before moving forward.

If your husband is set on a CBE approach, I’d definitely dig into the specific details of each program to make sure it aligns with that model. Good luck with the search! It’s awesome that you’re helping him find the right path.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 670 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 500 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 1 381 04-26-2024, 09:42 AM
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 553 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 488 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 2,012 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 964 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 623 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,664 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Software Engineer vs Data Engineer nomaduser 5 681 10-14-2023, 02:35 PM