Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introductory data science courses
I'm looking to take an introductory data science course -- something you'd expect from a course titled "Introduction to Data Science" or thereabouts -- and was hoping some of you might have some recommendations. 

I'm looking for a course from a RA community college, college or university, so unfortunately alternative credit sources like Coursera, Study.com, CLEP, etc. are out. The faster and cheaper the course the better, though, so a school with ~8-week sessions or self-paced, and a cost of ~$300 or less per credit, would be ideal.

In terms of course content, it'd be best if it were geared towards business students (though this isn't strictly necessary) and explicitly mentions that it touches upon data science, analytics, and intelligent automation. But feel free to post any Intro to Data Science courses you're aware of, even if they don't tick all these boxes. Thanks!
Some of the classes in the ASU Business Data Analytics Certificate program are close though they're more data analytics focused as opposed to data science. The price is good for a single 3 credit course only being $425.

https://ea.asu.edu/certificates/abda/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • jch
Did I read that correctly? 300/credit, so a class for 3 credits would be 900? Is that your budget for each class? Most Data Science are a mix of Comp Sci and Math, Data Analytics, etc, all in one... My suggestion is getting something similar to what MNomadic mentioned or going through the NMJC and other New Mexico community colleges (and others mentioned on the WIKI) to see if there are similar classes for cheaper, self paced, and so on.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks to you both for the responses. Unfortunately, I don't think any of those ASU courses by themselves would be likely be considered equivalent to an Intro to DS course, even if altogether they would.

bj, yeah, $900 per course was what I meant. Of course, the cheaper the better! Funny you mention NMJC; I'm actually taking a course with them now (and another at a different NM CC). Their prices truly can't be beat -- well, perhaps they can, by Dine College or Tohono O'odham CC -- but sadly none of these colleges offer a DS class.
UC San Diego extension has 2 data science courses one using R or one using SAS for $725

https://extendedstudies.ucsd.edu/courses...-using-sas
https://extendedstudies.ucsd.edu/courses...nce-with-r

UCLA Extension also has a number of alternatives for $1095
https://www.uclaextension.edu/digital-te...sci-x-4501
https://www.uclaextension.edu/digital-te...ci-x-45000

UC Berkeley extension $995
https://extension.berkeley.edu/search/pu...d=49693169
(02-06-2024, 03:47 PM)inor Wrote: I'm looking to take an introductory data science course -- something you'd expect from a course titled "Introduction to Data Science" or thereabouts -- and was hoping some of you might have some recommendations. 

I'm looking for a course from a RA community college, college or university, so unfortunately alternative credit sources like Coursera, Study.com, CLEP, etc. are out. The faster and cheaper the course the better, though, so a school with ~8-week sessions or self-paced, and a cost of ~$300 or less per credit, would be ideal.

In terms of course content, it'd be best if it were geared towards business students (though this isn't strictly necessary) and explicitly mentions that it touches upon data science, analytics, and intelligent automation. But feel free to post any Intro to Data Science courses you're aware of, even if they don't tick all these boxes. Thanks!

What state are you in? This will likely make a difference in your price point options. For example: Florida Polytechnic University has just what you're looking for 'COP 2073 - Introduction to Data Science' for $105 per credit (IF you're in FL), that jumps to over $500 per credit out of state.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-06-2024, 03:47 PM)inor Wrote: I'm looking to take an introductory data science course -- something you'd expect from a course titled "Introduction to Data Science" or thereabouts -- and was hoping some of you might have some recommendations. 

Oakton CC

CSC 208 Data Science
CSC 180 Intro to Artificial Intelligence

Online classes $136.25/cr

I've not taken any of these classes but did take CSC 242 Python Data Structures from Oakton. Solid class, great professor with his own notes and assignments. Don't we all hate some online instructors who just assign readings and assignments from the textbook and nothing else?

I took a look at the course description and both classes checked all the boxes you need for an introduction to basic DS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 1 66 Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,165 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 296 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,841 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 235 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 754 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 793 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,342 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 698 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 309 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM