Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes
I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstances?
You'll most likely be done with UMPI before you can even start an internship. I'd say go, finish at UMPI, and just get a real job asap. Smile
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. 

Your previous GPA is not "wiped" whatever that means.  At your previous school(s), they still show your GPA - that won't go away.  Another school might not care, and probably won't compute it into your GPA at that school, but each school still has your GPA from any courses you took there, and that's permanent.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:
jarrett312 Wrote:I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. 

Your previous GPA is not "wiped" whatever that means.  At your previous school(s), they still show your GPA - that won't go away.  Another school might not care, and probably won't compute it into your GPA at that school, but each school still has your GPA from any courses you took there, and that's permanent.

Generally this, it really depends on the school you plan on going to. If it's one of the common providers we recommend here, they're not as competitive, and you shouldn't need to worry about the GPA. Having said that, if you're going for some semi-competitive ones, they'll usually look at your final year or two GPA. The lower GPA you had at the community college level may/may not affect your entry as much as you think.

rachel83az Wrote:You'll most likely be done with UMPI before you can even start an internship. I'd say go, finish at UMPI, and just get a real job asap. Smile

This is what I would recommend as well, you're so close to getting the UMPI degree, finish that first and then go for the job right after.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: ... I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. ...

I wouldn't. Technically, you can calculate your GPA that way, but there's too much risk of an employer considering that a misrepresentation.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstances?

Your previous grades aren't wiped. Neither is your GPA. Do you have a plan on how to get an internship? I haven't seen them available to YourPace students. I inquired about them, but was told we couldn't do one. Wondering if that has since changed.
(04-30-2023, 04:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: jarrett312I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstance
Your previous grades aren't wiped. Neither is your GPA. Do you have a plan on how to get an internship? I haven't seen them available to YourPace students. I inquired about them, but was told we couldn't do one. Wondering if that has since changed.
Are you telling me I need permission from the university to participate in an internship? I have had opportunities extended to me from local connections for a buyer role in a small aerospace manufacturing company and another learning warehouse operations. Worse comes to worse I’ll just do one of those. But I also have family in Orlando and Chicago I can stay with and have applied to internships there. I’ve identified an internship for a buyer agent for luxury home builder in Orlando. I have my real estate agent and appraiser license and I feel a lot of the skills I learned would transfer to that role and provide a lot of value. I’ve applied for numerous other internships I hope I haven’t been tailoring my resume several times and creating cover letters for the university to tell me I can’t do an internship.
I never said you needed permission to do an internship. I asked if you inquired about it at UMPI. Your post read like you were trying to do it through your degree. There's a massive difference between an aerospace company and working for a realtor. You don't need an internship to work in real estate. If you already have your real estate license, an internship would be wasting your time.
For the GPA, I would put the expected GPA you will receive from UMPI, which should be a 3.5-3.75 GPA.  All you need is technically one grade from UMPI, and you wouldn't be lying.  Since all they give is A's or B's, you should get a high GPA and graduate with honors.

An internship is a good way to get some experience in the field you want to work in.

The downside is that working full-time may slow down your UMPI progress. If you can start a job in late May at the earliest, that would give you time to get most of your UMPI work done beforehand.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-30-2023, 10:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I never said you needed permission to do an internship. I asked if you inquired about it at UMPI. Your post read like you were trying to do it through your degree. There's a massive difference between an aerospace company and working for a realtor. You don't need an internship to work in real estate. If you already have your real estate license, an internship would be wasting your time.
I wouldn’t be working for a realtor I said I’d be working as a buyer agent for a luxury home builder. I’d have the same responsibilities in both roles

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 8 501 Yesterday, 10:44 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 33 10,441 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 201 10-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,600 10-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 311 10-17-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,795 10-16-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Enrollment and transfer evaluation process AverageAlien 18 823 10-15-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 97,014 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,267 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  BBA PM & IS timeline 16 classes seven9781 3 352 10-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: seven9781