Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes (/Thread-Getting-an-internship-with-UMPI-enrollment-90-credits-but-no-UMPI-classes)

Pages: 1 2

Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - jarrett312 - 04-30-2023

I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstances?

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - rachel83az - 04-30-2023

You'll most likely be done with UMPI before you can even start an internship. I'd say go, finish at UMPI, and just get a real job asap. Smile

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - dfrecore - 04-30-2023

(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. 

Your previous GPA is not "wiped" whatever that means.  At your previous school(s), they still show your GPA - that won't go away.  Another school might not care, and probably won't compute it into your GPA at that school, but each school still has your GPA from any courses you took there, and that's permanent.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - bjcheung77 - 04-30-2023

dfrecore Wrote:
jarrett312 Wrote:I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. 

Your previous GPA is not "wiped" whatever that means.  At your previous school(s), they still show your GPA - that won't go away.  Another school might not care, and probably won't compute it into your GPA at that school, but each school still has your GPA from any courses you took there, and that's permanent.

Generally this, it really depends on the school you plan on going to. If it's one of the common providers we recommend here, they're not as competitive, and you shouldn't need to worry about the GPA. Having said that, if you're going for some semi-competitive ones, they'll usually look at your final year or two GPA. The lower GPA you had at the community college level may/may not affect your entry as much as you think.

rachel83az Wrote:You'll most likely be done with UMPI before you can even start an internship. I'd say go, finish at UMPI, and just get a real job asap. Smile

This is what I would recommend as well, you're so close to getting the UMPI degree, finish that first and then go for the job right after.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - davewill - 04-30-2023

(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: ... I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. ...

I wouldn't. Technically, you can calculate your GPA that way, but there's too much risk of an employer considering that a misrepresentation.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - ss20ts - 04-30-2023

(04-30-2023, 06:08 AM)jarrett312 Wrote: I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstances?

Your previous grades aren't wiped. Neither is your GPA. Do you have a plan on how to get an internship? I haven't seen them available to YourPace students. I inquired about them, but was told we couldn't do one. Wondering if that has since changed.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - jarrett312 - 04-30-2023

(04-30-2023, 04:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: jarrett312I got a credit evaluation and I need 10 more classes and I’ll be done with UMPI. 18 credits transferred in from a community college. 72 came from Sophia,Study, and an IBM certificate. Obviously now is not an ideal time to apply for internships but I just recently got serious about finishing college have amassed these credits in February and March. I start classes may 8th at UMPI for supply chain management. When they request transcripts and there is no UMPI classes on it yet (assuming the process moves that fast) surely that will seriously impact a decision right ? I had a low GPA in community college but averaged across Sophia, study, and CC I have 3.16 which academically wouldn’t matter as they’re P/F credits. But can I put it on an application? I know my gpa previously is wiped and whatever grades I get at UMPI will appear as my GPA. Should I just finish that with the best grades I can get and forgo the idea of getting an internship right now given my circumstance
Your previous grades aren't wiped. Neither is your GPA. Do you have a plan on how to get an internship? I haven't seen them available to YourPace students. I inquired about them, but was told we couldn't do one. Wondering if that has since changed.
Are you telling me I need permission from the university to participate in an internship? I have had opportunities extended to me from local connections for a buyer role in a small aerospace manufacturing company and another learning warehouse operations. Worse comes to worse I’ll just do one of those. But I also have family in Orlando and Chicago I can stay with and have applied to internships there. I’ve identified an internship for a buyer agent for luxury home builder in Orlando. I have my real estate agent and appraiser license and I feel a lot of the skills I learned would transfer to that role and provide a lot of value. I’ve applied for numerous other internships I hope I haven’t been tailoring my resume several times and creating cover letters for the university to tell me I can’t do an internship.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - ss20ts - 04-30-2023

I never said you needed permission to do an internship. I asked if you inquired about it at UMPI. Your post read like you were trying to do it through your degree. There's a massive difference between an aerospace company and working for a realtor. You don't need an internship to work in real estate. If you already have your real estate license, an internship would be wasting your time.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - LevelUP - 05-01-2023

For the GPA, I would put the expected GPA you will receive from UMPI, which should be a 3.5-3.75 GPA.  All you need is technically one grade from UMPI, and you wouldn't be lying.  Since all they give is A's or B's, you should get a high GPA and graduate with honors.

An internship is a good way to get some experience in the field you want to work in.

The downside is that working full-time may slow down your UMPI progress. If you can start a job in late May at the earliest, that would give you time to get most of your UMPI work done beforehand.

RE: Getting an internship with UMPI enrollment & 90 credits but no UMPI classes - jarrett312 - 05-01-2023

(04-30-2023, 10:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I never said you needed permission to do an internship. I asked if you inquired about it at UMPI. Your post read like you were trying to do it through your degree. There's a massive difference between an aerospace company and working for a realtor. You don't need an internship to work in real estate. If you already have your real estate license, an internship would be wasting your time.
I wouldn’t be working for a realtor I said I’d be working as a buyer agent for a luxury home builder. I’d have the same responsibilities in both roles