Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRE Subject Exam feedback
Sunshine Wrote:MaieJaie- Thanks!! What a great post. Alissa, count me in! I think the study group is a great idea! Since the two of you have completed, or nearly completed a GRE, can you tell me how much study time you spent per week studying for it? I know it will all pay off, but I'm wondering if there's enough time to also keep pursuing other exams. I want to keep the momentum going...would 5 hours a week be reasonable for the April exam date?

Terry- congrats on your pass- that's an awesome score! Big Grin

Sunshine-Thanks for the well wishes. Regarding pursuing other exams while preparing for the GRE, I've been on the test per week schedule. I wouldn't recommend that pace and am only doing so to meet a deadline. After November and the Psychology GRE, I'm going to slow it down to a couple of exams monthly until I get past the English Lit GRE in April. Of course, everyone is unique (just like everyone else Smile ) Like most of our fellow forum members I have a demanding full time job and family responsibilities. I think the key is to try and set a pace that allows you to succeed while enjoying the process. (If that makes any sense.) Best of luck to you!

Alissa-Did you hear back from your advisor yet regarding duplication of exams with the English Lit GRE? I'm hoping A&I Lit isn't on the list. Also, are you still planning on taking the Substance Abuse and the Organizational Behavior exams?
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
Alissa asked:

Quote: Hello! I have registered for the GRE Literature in English Subject test next April and I was hoping to find out which CLEP and DSST exams would be duplicated by this test? Also, is it considered as Pass/Fail grades for GPA? Thank you very much for your time and consideration in this matter.

But my answer wasn't specific about GPA or transcripts or anything, but it was fast! Here's my reply:

Gretchen A. Nortz--Senior Academic Adviser:
Quote: Thank you for your inquiry.The following CLEP exams duplicate for the GRE subject exam in Literature in English :

CLEP General: Humanities (duplicates 3 credits of this 6 credit exam)
CLEP Subject: American Literature & English Literature

None of the DSST exams duplicate for the GRE Subject test in Literature in English.

Please feel free to respond to this message or call if you have any further questions or concerns.

Plus, she didn't say, but I bet this probably will duplicate 3 of my AP English credits. I'm really surprised that she didn't say A & I Literature was duplicated. Maybe I should send another email with a specific list?

Yes, I am still planning on DSST Substance Abuse and Org Behavior, among a million other things, but I don't think I will get to those until late Nov/Early Dec. But send me an email with any tips!

Also, there's a site: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5187/gre.html with a recommended reading list for the GRE Literature in English. But what's really interesting about it is the list of how many times each book/poem has appeared on past exams. This will really help to narrow my focus a little. Or a lot! Props to all these cool litgeeks for sharing so much. Makes me a happy, happy girl.

More stuff:
Reed College GRE English study guide: English Literature GRE Study Guide

pdf--GRE English test from 1997: http://www.washjeff.edu/users/ltroost/li...nglish.pdf

pdf 2001 practice test(the most current one out there): http://ftp.ets.org/pub/gre/007626.pdf
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Hi! I'm a newbie! I found this thread searching the terms: Psychology GRE. I have only one Pysch class which I took in the 80s. I'm starting out new, basically. I'm planning to take the Psych GRE in April. I haven't signed up yet. It was a toss up b/w Psych and English. I like Literature better but I read very slowly. I also have to read things several times before in sinks in. I didn't think I could read all of the books listed on the link above. So, you've helped me make my decision about which GRE to take. I've read several of the Psych GRE threads and have several more to read. Hopefully I'll gain some more truly beneficial knowledge. Thank you!
I sent another email to find out for sure about whether or not A&I Literature is duplicated by the GRE Literature, also about what duplicates AP English credits. I highlighted her responses regarding the GRE. Here's what we said:

Previous Message:
Hello, I am considering taking the CLEP English Composition and also CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature this month.

(1)I was wondering if these exams will duplicate any of my AP English credits.
(2)I also need to know which version of the English Composition is recommended, with or without essay.
(3)I also just want to make sure that these two exams are not duplicated by the Literature in English GRE, which I am registered to take in April 2009.
(4) Does the GRE Literature in English duplicate any of my AP English credits?
(5) If possible, I would like to pursue a major in Literature in English, but Liberal Studies is certainly acceptable, too. Any suggestions or helpful hints to complete either one would be greatly appreciated. All the advice I have received thus far has been very helpful. Thank you very much for all your hard work.

Sincerely,

Alissa

Greetings, Alissa -

1)Please do NOT take the CLEP "English Composition" exam because you will not net any credits and it will not apply to your degree. The CLEP "Analysis & Interpreting Literature" exam will not duplicate your AP credit.

2) Neither - please do not take the CLEP "Engl. Comp." exam.

3) The GRE "Literature in English" will not duplicate the CLEP "Analysis & Interpreting Lit." score nor your AP credits.

4) It is certainly your choice whether you pursue a Literature in English major or the Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies (BSL) degree, but if you score a 630 or higher on your Lit. Engl. GRE exam, you will have earned enough credit for that major.

I hope this is helpful, but please let us know if you have additional questions.

Best wishes! Tamara R. Garrison, Academic Adviser

I found it interesting that she gave me a number score to shoot for, not just a percentile, and although I am pleased that A&I Literature is not duplicated, it is surprising, I figured it would be. I expected her to tell me not to take either exam until after the GRE. Does anyone else think it's strange that I wouldn't net any credit for English Comp, since this exam supposedly does not fulfill the WER, but AP English does? It implies the two exams are different, but this email says opposite. Huh. Also, if I pass A&I Lit and the English GRE, theoretically I could have forty two credits in English Literature and Composition. Right on. Well, I hope this clears it all up for anyone considering the English GRE.

Also, does everyone else get a response from a different adviser every time?Smile
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Reviving this old thread for updates and additional feedback...

I find myself repeatedly drawn to the English GRE. I love this subject, but fear this rather intimidating exam. I'm currently studying with my older boys because it's just easier if we study the same exams, but I think I'd really like to study for this GRE bc the subject appeals to me. I pretty much shelves the notion as impractical when i heard EC likely wouldnt give credit for it, but that isnt set in stone. Still seems a bit much to chew off on my first bite of CBE though.

Anyone care to update with more current feedback on how to study for this exam? Anyone know how to find a place that does subject exams? I called the colleges listed, but they only do the general exam they say.

TIA
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

MomOfMany Wrote:Anyone know how to find a place that does subject exams? I called the colleges listed, but they only do the general exam they say.

TIA
The GRE Subject exams are given 3 times a year: April, October and November.

The list of test centers & dates for them are at GRE Subject Tests: Centers Dates
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Hi MomOfMany!

I am glad to see that you are looking at this again.

Have you read Ruddigore's feedback already? He took this exam less than a year ago.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post80916

He had a very successful experience!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thank you! I remembered something like that but couldn't remember the author or thread title and the blasted search feature kept discarding "GRE" - subscribed to it so I won't loose it again!
M.
Mom of 11

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

MomOfMany Wrote:Thank you! I remembered something like that but couldn't remember the author or thread title and the blasted search feature kept discarding "GRE" - subscribed to it so I won't loose it again!

Oh good!

For short words like GRE, try the "Google Site Search" in the box above the regular (not advanced) Search Forums box. It took me a long time to find this and it is helpful to know about.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Oh good!

For short words like GRE, try the "Google Site Search" in the box above the regular (not advanced) Search Forums box. It took me a long time to find this and it is helpful to know about.

Oh thanks again then! I did go to google and do an advanced search for this site, but that brought up this old thread and a ton of other stuff to filter through.
M.
Mom of 11

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,809 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 916 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 1,114 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 822 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 1,069 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  The World's Hardest Exam Alpha 4 1,624 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 2,057 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,131 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,747 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666