Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRE Subject Exam feedback
Congratulations on at least having this particular exam behind you. I'm sure you did well. You certainly scored better than I would have. Those GRE Subject Exams are definitely not for the feignt of heart. I look forward to you finding out your score.

Good job.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Yep, and I just got off of the ets website. I registered for the Literature in English GRE coming up next April, so you guys will get to hear all about that for the next six months! Hopefully it will be easier to study for that one in between all my CLEP and DSSTs over a few months time, rather than a mad dash to the finish line, like I did the Psych GRE. Well, I'm off to order books and start cracking on the Uexcel Political Science exam! Thanks everybody!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Way to go! Congrats on completing a very tough exam! Your hard work will pay off! Awesome job!!
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sunshine Wrote:Way to go! Congrats on completing a very tough exam! Your hard work will pay off! Awesome job!!

Sunshine,

Are you still considering the Literature in English GRE? One of the greatest things about my whole GRE experience was that I met a couple folks also studying, and I had my own little "GRE Psych Support Group" and we exchanged sample questions, websites, and I got reassured when I was on the verge of a meltdown. (Shout out to Terry and Hank, you guys rock!), so if you decide on this GRE, PM me anytime you want to talk about it!
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
alissaroot Wrote:Sunshine,

Are you still considering the Literature in English GRE? One of the greatest things about my whole GRE experience was that I met a couple folks also studying, and I had my own little "GRE Psych Support Group" and we exchanged sample questions, websites, and I got reassured when I was on the verge of a meltdown. (Shout out to Terry and Hank, you guys rock!), so if you decide on this GRE, PM me anytime you want to talk about it!

Thanks for the shout out Alissa. I also just signed up for the GRE Engish Lit in April. Looks like we have a study group.

Just returned this evening after passing Organizational Behavior with a 54 (A). While I was taking the test, I thought I had bombed it! Feeling pretty darn good this evening! Smile

-Terry
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
alissaroot Wrote:Sunshine,

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking I will take it, but I haven't really started any preparations (not even sure about the deadline for signing up yet). I have a ton of questions about the test and how it effects transcripts, grades, and degree requirements. All in all, $140 for up to 30 credits seems like a wise investment.
I've been browsing the Vade Mecum site and just got the Idiots Guide to American Lit from the library. Smile
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sunshine Wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking I will take it, but I haven't really started any preparations (not even sure about the deadline for signing up yet). I have a ton of questions about the test and how it effects transcripts, grades, and degree requirements. All in all, $140 for up to 30 credits seems like a wise investment.
I've been browsing the Vade Mecum site and just got the Idiots Guide to American Lit from the library. Smile

I'm taking the GRE Lit next month; I'll let you know how it goes. Registration due dates vary by testing center and special circumstances, but all registration due dates for the April 2009 subject tests fall in February 2009. Subject Test Dates

The Vade Mecum is probably the best GRE Lit prep out there (in my less-than-humble opinion, anyhow). With more information than any of the test prep books out there, it covers pretty much everything. Oh, and the site would also be helpful--though perhaps overkill--for anyone studying for the literature CLEP's, as well. That being said, some of the information are verbatim quotes, uncited, from the Wikipedia articles on English Literature, English poetry, and related topics. Oh, and I caught one (minor, very minor) error: Richard Lovelace is generally considered a Cavalier poet, not a Metaphysical poet.Vade Mecum: A GRE for Literature in English Study Guide

This is another helpful site: Literary Resources: Criticism, Research, and GRE Study Aids

I recommend the Princeton Review prep book. It has received good reviews--especially in contrast to REA's prep book--and it's generally the least expensive prep book available. Plus, the REA book reportedly has multiple instances of incorrect answers for its practice exams, so be careful trusting it. I only got the Princeton Review book, and I'm feeling very comfortable with just using it.

If I can be of any help, whatsoever, to those prepping for this test, please just let me know.
MaieJaie Wrote:I'm taking the GRE Lit next month; I'll let you know how it goes. Registration due dates vary by testing center and special circumstances, but all registration due dates for the April 2009 subject tests fall in February 2009. Subject Test Dates

The Vade Mecum is probably the best GRE Lit prep out there (in my less-than-humble opinion, anyhow). With more information than any of the test prep books out there, it covers pretty much everything. Oh, and the site would also be helpful--though perhaps overkill--for anyone studying for the literature CLEP's, as well. That being said, some of the information are verbatim quotes, uncited, from the Wikipedia articles on English Literature, English poetry, and related topics. Oh, and I caught one (minor, very minor) error: Richard Lovelace is generally considered a Cavalier poet, not a Metaphysical poet.Vade Mecum: A GRE for Literature in English Study Guide

This is another helpful site: Literary Resources: Criticism, Research, and GRE Study Aids

I recommend the Princeton Review prep book. It has received good reviews--especially in contrast to REA's prep book--and it's generally the least expensive prep book available. Plus, the REA book reportedly has multiple instances of incorrect answers for its practice exams, so be careful trusting it. I only got the Princeton Review book, and I'm feeling very comfortable with just using it.

If I can be of any help, whatsoever, to those prepping for this test, please just let me know.

Awesome! Looks like we have a group. As soon as we get Sunshine on board--and anyone else out there! And a fearless leader to help us! Hooray! I am in particular curious about how much 'Bible as Literature' you find to be on this exam. I am very nervous about interpreting a lot of Bible passages as Literature. I am unfamiliar with the Bible, I'm sorry to say. Did you get a copy of Paradise lost[I]?[/I]
All I've ordered so far is a Norton Introduction to Literature and some Cliffs notes for Shakespeare, but I am wondering if Shakespeare will be wholly avoided just because he's rather obvious, and I expect to see more obscure passages.

I am so excited about this one! I also have a writer's companion book so I can go over grammatical terminology --what have you been studying for terms and linguistics? I need help in that area...Is the PR book enough for that? I'll be buying it regardless, because you know I'm like that. :p

Also, I just sent my adviser an email asking which CLEPs and DSSTs are duplicated by this test, and how it affects GPA. I will report back as soon as I get a reply!

Way to go Terry on the Org. Behavior!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
MaieJaie- Thanks!! What a great post. Alissa, count me in! I think the study group is a great idea! Since the two of you have completed, or nearly completed a GRE, can you tell me how much study time you spent per week studying for it? I know it will all pay off, but I'm wondering if there's enough time to also keep pursuing other exams. I want to keep the momentum going...would 5 hours a week be reasonable for the April exam date?

Terry- congrats on your pass- that's an awesome score! Big Grin
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sweet. Let's kick this sucka! That GRE won't know what hit it. I sent you a PM with my email. I'm hoping about five or six hours a week will do it for me too. I really love literature though, I know you do too, so it won't be as much of a struggle for me as psychology. And I planned to leave the whole month of April open for this, so I can flat out study and hit trouble spots harder than I did for psychology. I don't want to compare man hours on the two of them, but if we start this week, five hours a week for 25 weeks=125 hours. I may do more than that though by squeezing in literature classics dvds--I don't have cable or satellite so I watch dvds. Loads of Jane Austen has been made in to very popular movies. That'll give me more time for poems.

Gosh, that Vade Mecum site is pretty good...I may have to make up these as flashcards to carry around with me. I didn't have time to check it out this thoroughly before when I was GRE Psych obsessed. I plan to buy some anthologies too., so I can have a prayer at recognizing prose. Does anyone have a preference of Norton or Longman? Which is better?
This site: GRE in Literature Test Preparation recommends Longman but says Norton's okay.
And I'm checking this out: litgre - Community Info right now...just following all the good links from the Vade Mecum site is enough to help come up with a pretty good study plan. Man, I wish there was this much stuff for the Psych GRE! I wouldn't have freaked so much. Well, I still would've freaked, just less...
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,808 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 916 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 1,113 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 822 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 1,069 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  The World's Hardest Exam Alpha 4 1,624 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 2,057 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Torah College's A Social History of Jewish Food -- ISO feedback sammeecat 9 2,131 08-24-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,746 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666