Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Healthcare Management
Hello!
Posting on behalf of my brother who is interested in healthcare admin. Would love any advice that you may have! He just graduated and is starting fresh. Would love help finding which courses to take and advice on Pierce College since that is what was recommended on the wiki page.

He is also looking at double majoring in computer sci/ history at one of the big three. Im not sure if thats an option. 

We are absolute newbies. Appreciate all of everyones help.

Your Location:
Honolulu USA

Your Age:19
What kind of degree do you want?: Healthcare Management (willing to go all the way to masters but wanting bachelors)
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

School Name Total Credits: 0
Class Name, Credits, Grade - Just graduated HS

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 0

Provider Total Credits: 0
Please use the full template from https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works so we better know how to assist. You've left out important info like budget, time, etc.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Definitely follow rachel83az's advice above as the folks here are awesome at helping others reach their educational goals in the quickest and most cost-effective ways possible. I'd like to offer my experience as a healthcare professional with nearly 20 years in the field. Honestly, a bachelor's won't get you very far in healthcare administration unless you have an extensive background and track record of success already. I started out with my ADN, then received my BSN. I was a director of nursing (DON) for several years before completing my MHA in May. I now work as an administrator in my regional hospital. Everyone else with my job title in our hospital system, including our CEO, holds either an MBA or MHA. Personally, I'd get the quickest undergrad degree possible (business admin is what I would recommend) and move on to the MHA or MBA in order to be competitive. Some experience in the healthcare field would also be of great benefit.
Peirce is not a good option with this degree, because you can't get the majority of it done via alt-credit. Between a few Sophia options and the Study.com partnership, there are only 69cr available to bring in. They say on their website that you can bring in 90cr for that degree and finish there for $20k. But I don't know where you'd find another 21cr to fit into their plan.

WGU has a BSB in Healthcare Management; you could bring in 76cr from alt-credit providers, leaving 44cr to take there (37cr are non-transferable and then 7cr can't be found elsewhere). I think that it would take a minimum of 2 if not 3 or 4 terms for an 18yo to complete that many credits.

TESU has a BSBA in Healthcare Management that can almost be done via alt-credit; there are 2 courses in the AoS that can't be done through Study.com, so he'd have to take those at TESU (prob using TESU's 16cr term which you can find info on here somewhere).

Out of the 3, TESU would probably be the cheapest/best, since there's plenty of time to get the credits you need before doing that last 16cr term at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would recommend the brother joining the forum so he could ask questions. I would also recommend a business bachelor's degree and then get a master's in healthcare admin. This way if he decides healthcare isn't for him, his bachelor's degree will be useful in other industries. He's not pigeonholed into healthcare with a bachelor's in business.
@KristyAnn4793, How's it going with your family? Hubby is currently with you or has he been deployed? Lastly, and the little one doing alright?  I understand this thread is for your brother, but before you can assist someone, you need to be "fit" mentally and physically before you can provide any advice for him.  My suggestion is the same as Rachel83AZ in post #2, fill in the template details from the last post addendum, as the more details, the better we can help him with...

To answer his inquiry, since he's into multiple subjects and wanting to double major, etc.  As mentioned, TESU would be a very good option for him.  He can get a BSBA CIS & Healthcare Management, along with a BA Computer Science & History.  It'll be two degrees and two different plans, but he can graduate both at the same time, he can take 16 credits for residency instead of paying the residency waiver fee...

Now back to you, I read your previous posts, have you started on your degree yet?  With a little child, it's hard to start, but since you have a younger brother who is starting off with his degree, the two of you can work together (and yes, along with the hubby if he hasn't been deployed yet).  You need 30 RA credits, 16 will come from TESU, 15 can come from any other college/university or through exams from TESU, their own TECEPS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi! I can relate to your brother's situation. I'm still in the process of figuring things out, but I'll share what I know so far. I think Pierce College is a good option.
I think Pierce College is a good option,but he may also want to look into other schools that offer healthcare management degrees or related programs. As for double majoring, I'm not sure if that's possible, but it might be worth looking into.I completely agree with the previous poster about getting some experience in the healthcare field. Also, if your brother is interested in healthcare management, I suggest he covers some info on insurance too. This source can be helpful: https://ibgportland.com/individual-health-insurance.
(08-19-2022, 12:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I would recommend the brother joining the forum so he could ask questions. I would also recommend a business bachelor's degree and then get a master's in healthcare admin. This way if he decides healthcare isn't for him, his bachelor's degree will be useful in other industries. He's not pigeonholed into healthcare with a bachelor's in business.
If this is the logic, which by the way makes perfectly good sense to me, then why not just get the MBA if both masters are equally accepted in the industry ?
(03-24-2023, 09:18 AM)OllieSpence Wrote: I think Pierce College is a good option,but he may also want to look into other schools that offer healthcare management degrees or related programs. As for double majoring, I'm not sure if that's possible, but it might be worth looking into.I completely agree with the previous poster about getting some experience in the healthcare field. Also, if your brother is interested in healthcare management, I suggest he covers some info on insurance too. This source can be helpful: https://ibgportland.com/individual-health-insurance.

You haven't said why you think Pierce College is a good option - it's roughly a $30k degree.  There are MUCH cheaper options on here.  So why is it a good option?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,426 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Fish and Wildlife Management options Daniel14 13 480 04-04-2024, 07:50 AM
Last Post: RJ77
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 564 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 939 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,724 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  Planning help for Bachelors in Healthcare Administration Danyr09 9 520 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Danyr09
  UMPI BABA of Management & Leadership Help Needed OldPMP 3 452 10-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI Degree Plan BABA – Management & Leadership w/ 2 minors DJNikonn 5 1,005 07-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management planning/Advice help. psychcs 13 1,129 05-23-2023, 05:16 PM
  Seeking advice on Engineering Management, BSE at ASU (ONLINE) probablystupid 11 972 04-30-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: probablystupid