Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management
Your Location: New South Wales, Australia
Your Age: 40
What kind of degree do you want?: UMPI BA in Project Management
Current Regional Accredited Credits: None - my highest level of education is a High School Certificate (HSC) which is the equivalent to a UK A-Levels / USA High School Diploma

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None

Any certifications or military experience? None

I have done a whole load of research on this site and I have found a lot of the information overwhelming but I've done my best to make a degree plan using the template created by Ashkir and the most recent UMPI BABA Project Management Degree Plan on Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...n_at_UMPI)

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Colour code definitions below:
  • Green - exists in Askhir's template and the Wiki degree plan
  • Yellow - was not in Ashkir's template and added from the Wiki degree plan
Questions:
  1. Do I have a sufficient number of credits in the plan across the different categories?
  2. How do I determine the predecessor courses as it was laid out in Ashkir's plan?
  3. For those who have enrolled at UMPI to study online, what is the eligibility criteria for the university (I had poor markes in High School, i.e. my HSC score was 65%)? 
  4. What documentation do we need to provide to enroll at UMPI?
Grateful for any and all help/feedback!
Basically, continue with your Sophia.org/Coursera until you've got them done, did you also use the WIKI for reference? There's a plan for the UMPI BABA PM&IS already that you linked earlier. You want to review that and also check/compare your template with that to make sure all the requirements are hit...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It's possible that your A-level equivalent is worth university credit. https://usm.maine.edu/credit-prior-learn...as-levels/ This is for the USM site and not UMPI, but the University of Maine is one big system and policies like this should apply to all campuses. It's worth checking out, at least.

1. No, you need 40 GEC credits. You're maybe missing 6. Also, I know what ashkir's plan says, but you almost certainly want to take English Comp I & II at UMPI. There may be other issues, but I find your spreadsheet kind of confusing.

2. I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

3. You need to have graduated HS or HS equivalent. That's it.

4. Proof of HS graduation. Prior university credit or university-equivalent credit (Sophia, Study.com, Google certificates).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-13-2023, 01:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, continue with your Sophia.org/Coursera until you've got them done, did you also use the WIKI for reference? There's a plan for the UMPI BABA PM&IS already that you linked earlier.  You want to review that and also check/compare your template with that to make sure all the requirements are hit...

Yep, I lifted the plan straight out the Wiki (refer to the Wiki Plan worksheet).

(11-13-2023, 05:28 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's possible that your A-level equivalent is worth university credit. https://usm.maine.edu/credit-prior-learn...as-levels/ This is for the USM site and not UMPI, but the University of Maine is one big system and policies like this should apply to all campuses. It's worth checking out, at least.

1. No, you need 40 GEC credits. You're maybe missing 6. Also, I know what ashkir's plan says, but you almost certainly want to take English Comp I & II at UMPI. There may be other issues, but I find your spreadsheet kind of confusing.

4. Proof of HS graduation. Prior university credit or university-equivalent credit (Sophia, Study.com, Google certificates).

Thanks for your response, super helpful! Smile ll look into getting a credit for my A-levels. 

With respect to your point about English Comp I & II at UMPI, is that because its understood that its quite easy/easier than Sophia?

On the point about 40 GEC credits, I don't understand the roadmap (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap), specifically, 'Learning Objective Required' and 'Learning Objective Filled' columns so I don't know which courses I should choose to hit 40 credits. Are you able to suggest which other courses I can take that satisfy the learning objective columns and also give the additional 6 credits? And let me know which parts of the spreadsheet is confusing and I'll do my best to clean it up so its easier to read and understand.

On the point about predecessors, Askhirs template included a 'Predecessor' column which, as I understand it, denotes which courses have to be completed first before you can move on to subsequent/higher level courses. I was trying to get an understanding of how I can map in the predecessors so I know which order I have to complete the courses.
You missed the addendum, but most of the info is already in your post... You don't need to worry about prerequisites when you've got the Sophia.org classes done. I would apply, send all transcripts including all the ones you've completed with Sophia.org as that alone should hit many requirements. When all your HS/Sophia.org has been evaluated, you'll have to complete the UMPI classes. That's the short of it...

(11-13-2023, 11:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You missed the addendum, but most of the info is already in your post... You don't need to worry about prerequisites when you've got the Sophia.org classes done.  I would apply, send all transcripts including all the ones you've completed with Sophia.org as that alone should hit many requirements.  When all your HS/Sophia.org has been evaluated, you'll have to complete the UMPI classes.  That's the short of it...

Good point. I should just start the work instead of planning everything. Thanks!
(11-13-2023, 06:39 AM)FM1 Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 01:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, continue with your Sophia.org/Coursera until you've got them done, did you also use the WIKI for reference? There's a plan for the UMPI BABA PM&IS already that you linked earlier.  You want to review that and also check/compare your template with that to make sure all the requirements are hit...

Yep, I lifted the plan straight out the Wiki (refer to the Wiki Plan worksheet).

(11-13-2023, 05:28 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's possible that your A-level equivalent is worth university credit. https://usm.maine.edu/credit-prior-learn...as-levels/ This is for the USM site and not UMPI, but the University of Maine is one big system and policies like this should apply to all campuses. It's worth checking out, at least.

Thanks for your response, super helpful! Smile ll look into getting a credit for my A-levels. 

With respect to your point about English Comp I & II at UMPI, is that because its understood that its quite easy/easier than Sophia?

On the point about 40 GEC credits, I don't understand the roadmap (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap), specifically, 'Learning Objective Required' and 'Learning Objective Filled' columns so I don't know which courses I should choose to hit 40 credits. Are you able to suggest which other courses I can take that satisfy the learning objective columns and also give the additional 6 credits? And let me know which parts of the spreadsheet is confusing and I'll do my best to clean it up so its easier to read and understand.

I also find that part of the wiki kind of confusing. I suggest referencing https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quirements instead. I think those make more sense. (Of course, I wrote them, so I would think so... Wink )

Each course can be used to fill multiple GEC requirements/learning objectives, but each learning objective/GEC requirement can only be filled with one course. Let's take objective 2A as an example. Perhaps you fill it with Intro to Ethics. 2B can also be filled with Intro to Ethics, but students who need more credits can take Intro to Sociology or Ancient Greek Philosophers to also fill that slot.

(11-13-2023, 06:39 AM)FM1 Wrote: On the point about predecessors, Askhirs template included a 'Predecessor' column which, as I understand it, denotes which courses have to be completed first before you can move on to subsequent/higher level courses. I was trying to get an understanding of how I can map in the predecessors so I know which order I have to complete the courses.

Ah! Well, ashkir's plan might or might not be fully accurate in that regard now. And it's not super important anyway. When he completed his degree, most classes were only offered every other session. So (for instance) a student could not complete Accounting 1 and Accounting 2 in the same session. All degrees took a minimum of 2 sessions; a couple of them had a 3-session minimum due to prerequisites. These days, all classes are offered every session. You don't exactly have to worry about taking things "out of order" and not being able to finish in a timely manner.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davewill, FM1, origamishuttle
(11-14-2023, 08:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-13-2023, 06:39 AM)FM1 Wrote:

I also find that part of the wiki kind of confusing. I suggest referencing https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents and https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quirements instead. I think those make more sense. (Of course, I wrote them, so I would think so... Wink )

Each course can be used to fill multiple GEC requirements/learning objectives, but each learning objective/GEC requirement can only be filled with one course. Let's take objective 2A as an example. Perhaps you fill it with Intro to Ethics. 2B can also be filled with Intro to Ethics, but students who need more credits can take Intro to Sociology or Ancient Greek Philosophers to also fill that slot.

(11-13-2023, 06:39 AM)FM1 Wrote: On the point about predecessors, Askhirs template included a 'Predecessor' column which, as I understand it, denotes which courses have to be completed first before you can move on to subsequent/higher level courses. I was trying to get an understanding of how I can map in the predecessors so I know which order I have to complete the courses.

Ah! Well, ashkir's plan might or might not be fully accurate in that regard now. And it's not super important anyway. When he completed his degree, most classes were only offered every other session. So (for instance) a student could not complete Accounting 1 and Accounting 2 in the same session. All degrees took a minimum of 2 sessions; a couple of them had a 3-session minimum due to prerequisites. These days, all classes are offered every session. You don't exactly have to worry about taking things "out of order" and not being able to finish in a timely manner.

Amazing, thanks for the GEC roadmap. That makes a lot more sense. As an FYI, Introduction to Sociology has 3 touchstones now - I didn't want to update the Wiki directly but thought I should let you know. I've removed it from my plan.

Updated version: Degree Plan.xlsx

Grateful if you could take a look and let me know if it makes more sense and if I have the correct GEC courses to fulfil learning objectives. Thanks!
Unfortunately, Intro to Sociology is needed for requirement 5A. There is no other Sophia course that has been reported to work for that requirement. You can take whatever the UMPI class happens to be, but it may be even longer than the Sophia class. It depends on the exact Touchstone requirements for Sophia. I, unfortunately, cannot see them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FM1
Complete as much as you can through Sophia.org and transfer them in, wait for your evaluation and send us an update notification with a PDF or screenshot of that evaluation, make it viewable/not editable within your google or one drive. We can review the evaluation and provide recommendations...

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • FM1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 8 190 10 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 112 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 187 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 172 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,877 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 231 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,620 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 584 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 231 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 485 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az