Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits
Hello Everyone, this is a very helpful forum with some great people providing invaluable advice. I plan to share my journey as well to help others. Looking for the most efficient way to complete the degree listed below. Feel free to email or PM if you like. Thank you!

Your Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Your Age: 38

What kind of degree do you want?: UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree (open to other suggestions), then MAOL Degree

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 

Sheridan College, Brampton, Ontario, Canada

ECON 15269G Micro Economics, 3.00, B
HRMT 16127 Human Resource Mgmt. 1, 3.00, A+
MKTG 19439 Marketing 1, 3.00, B+ 
FINA 11079 Finance, 3.00, B 
LAWS 70001 Law for Business Managers, 3.00, B+ 
MATH 16269 Business Mathematics 1, 3.00, C 
ECOM 15616 Introduction to E-commerce, 3.00, B 
MKTG 31445 Supply Chain Management, 3.00, A+ 
COMM 12423 Business Communication, 3.00, A 
COMM 28883 Reports and Presentations, 3.00, B+ 
OMDP 70024 Dealing with Difficult People, 2.00, A

Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BES 700 Building Systems: Overview, 3.00, A+ (https://apps.senecapolytechnic.ca/ssos/f...current/ce)
BES 710 Energy Efficiency - Large Buildings, 3.00, A (https://apps.senecapolytechnic.ca/ssos/f...current/ce)

York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SOSC 1910 Third World Countries and Underdevelopment, 6.00, C+

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia

Introduction to Ethics, 3.00
Project Management, 3.00
Visual Communications, 3.00

Any certifications or military experience?

Canadian Certified Psychological Health and Safety Advisor, Canadian Mental Health Association
Aquaculture Fundamentals Certificate, Fleming College (I have been asking the institution if I gained any credit for this, it was a work related professional Development course, but they are not responding). 

Other Information

Budget: I have $8K CAD saved up for this. I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  

Commitments: I have an extremely demanding job with 2 hour commute per day, and a high maintenance home. Other than that, kids, spouse, pets, chores, errands, exercising etc. 

Personal Limitations: I have major anxiety/depression and trouble concentrating and retaining information, trying to keep a regular exercise, diet and sleep routine. I am typically back home by 6:30pm on average, and go to bed by 10pm. 

Dedicated time to study: I only really have about 1 to 2 hours in the evenings, and can do 6 to 8 hours on weekends, but would like time to do some hobbies, socialize etc for my mental health. 

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1 year, then start the MAOL program. I would like to find a job with regular hours. I work in Operations Management currently in Facility Management with experience in Logistics. 

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: N/A
You want to maximize the credits that you transfer in, as you have close to 40 more credits that you could transfer in.
You can use Sophia to fill in a lot more general education & BABA requirements and then follow up the plan for your 10 required classes at UMPI:

General Education
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap

BABA M&L
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

Even at 3-4 classes per session (recognizing your indicated time constraints), you can do the BABA in 3-4 sessions for $4.5K to $6K USD.

You could take the following UMPI classes in undergrad to replace 3 graduate classes in your MAOL, making the degree timeline shorter for your MAOL as well (9 classes instead of 12 for the MAOL):

OLS 550 Team Leadership and Collaboration is subbed by BUS 335 Organizational Behavior
OLS 610 Leadership and Business Operations is subbed by BUS 440 Business Analytics
OLS 620 Strategic Communications is subbed by BUS 469 Strategic Professional Communication
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • chrsghs
Thanks a lot!

Any insight on what my current credits would be equivalent to at UMPI?

Also wondering if someone can explain the UMPI General Education Requirements Roadmap regarding the 1A, 2B coding. Or point me to a thread that explains this. 

Thanks Smile
I'd defer to others to help you with mapping your Canadian credits, as it is driven by how they are evaluated. You may want to call admissions how to submit your Canadian credits, since UMPI admissions works a little different for Canadian students:
https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/admissions-requirements/

Similar thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nadian-BSc

You'll want to let admissions know that you are applying to the YourPace program. They are only open during normal business hours in the Eastern time zone.

UMPI Admissions
181 Main St
Presque Isle ME 04769
Fax: 207-768-9777
Email: umpi-admissions@maine.edu

For the general education requirements, 1 class can fulfill multiple requirements. For example, your class "Intro to Ethics" from Sophia will fill in requirements 2A and 2B. Read through the "How the General Education Curriculum Works" section as it lists this.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
@chrsghs, Welcome to the board, great intro post with additional updates and questions! You should continue with Sophia.org to get as many general education classes completed that you know will not duplicate the ones you currently have. Once done, apply, send all transcripts from your Canadian studies and Sophia.org classes through ACE/Credly to UMPI and see where your credits stand.

I highly recommend creating a spreadsheet once you get your evaluation back, you should also update us with the academic evaluation with the highlighted classes that are missing. Don't worry about the multiple requirements and double dipping classes, you need to make sure to hit all the requirements and get over 120+ credits. Here are the equivalents, https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for all your advice thus far @bjcheung77 and @jg_nuy !

bjcheung77 - I know you mentioned not to worry about multiple requirements and double dipping classes, but I am a bit confused as I don't know where my existing credits will land, and I want to make the best use of my time on Sophia as well. 

Should I wait for the evaluation from UMPI? 

I've been communicating with someone there, I'm not sure what their role is, but they are not an Advisor. They've been walking me through the submission of documents. I've asked them when I can anticipate an evaluation and they said "Your transfer credit report will be completed in the order it has been received by our registrars office. First your application will need to be reviewed."

Considering that response, I'd still like to make the best use of my free time until I receive that report by doing more courses on Sophia but a bit confused as to what I should pursue right now. The three Sophia courses I listed were completed just this weekend Smile

Thanks again!
(02-11-2024, 04:31 PM)chrsghs Wrote: Sheridan College, Brampton, Ontario, Canada

ECON 15269G Micro Economics, 3.00, B
HRMT 16127 Human Resource Mgmt. 1, 3.00, A+
MKTG 19439 Marketing 1, 3.00, B+ 
FINA 11079 Finance, 3.00, B 
LAWS 70001 Law for Business Managers, 3.00, B+ 
MATH 16269 Business Mathematics 1, 3.00, C 
ECOM 15616 Introduction to E-commerce, 3.00, B 
MKTG 31445 Supply Chain Management, 3.00, A+ 
COMM 12423 Business Communication, 3.00, A 
COMM 28883 Reports and Presentations, 3.00, B+ 
OMDP 70024 Dealing with Difficult People, 2.00, A

Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BES 700 Building Systems: Overview, 3.00, A+ (https://apps.senecapolytechnic.ca/ssos/f...current/ce)
BES 710 Energy Efficiency - Large Buildings, 3.00, A (https://apps.senecapolytechnic.ca/ssos/f...current/ce)

York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SOSC 1910 Third World Countries and Underdevelopment, 6.00, C+

I just looked at UMPI's transfer database and some of your courses are in there. The transfer database lists how courses have transferred in the past and isn't always accurate, but it can give you a rough idea of where you stand. The courses below are in the transfer database. The others aren't. The have accepted courses from all 3 colleges in the past. 

HRMT 16127 
Human Resource Management 1 3.00 BUS 321 Human Resource Management 3.00
[b]
FINA 11079 
Finance 3.00 BUS 100 Personal Finance 3.00

[/b]
MATH 16269 Business Mathematics 1 3.00 MAT 140 Mathematics for Business 3.00 GLO3:LOA,B

[b]ECOM 15616 E-Commerce, Introduction to 3.00 ECO 1XX Economics Elective 3.00

[/b]
COMM 12423 Business Communication 3.00 BUS 210 Organizational Communication 3.00 GLO1:LOC
@ss20ts thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's very helpful!
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrsghs's post:
  • ss20ts
Since you're got some Sophia.org classes under your belt, continue with them while you're waiting for your application to UMPI to go through. Just take classes you know you're missing and are showing from the WIKI links above for the general education, major, and equivalency links. I wouldn't stall while you wait, you can get a few more Sophia.org classes under your belt until they get back with you on your acceptance at UMPI.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-12-2024, 06:02 PM)chrsghs Wrote: @ss20ts thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's very helpful!

You're welcome! Sorry more weren't on the list. UMPI will still accept them, but some may be general electives. You can transfer in 2000 credits. Only 90 will apply as everyone is required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. UMPI has a big program for students from Canada. Nothing says you completed your degree online either. They also have a physical campus and are a state university. Online degrees can be problematic for some people in the job search for whatever reason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Which Degree Program Would You Choose??? colonelcamp 18 460 Yesterday, 12:25 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Help with degree plan. System360 1 44 Yesterday, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb Community College credits to BS? TPierce89 4 271 05-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 11 394 05-13-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Member looking to plan out Bachelors in finance Thelifenfc 8 276 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM
  IT degree with A levels & 7 years of work experience Sherwood 77 5,162 05-13-2024, 03:20 PM
  Degree Completion Plan 2 Adam54321 8 758 05-10-2024, 04:12 PM
  Military Degree Plan - Help Xrogus 2 116 05-10-2024, 09:37 AM
  Newbie looking for efficient path to bachelors degree Santi 2 179 05-09-2024, 09:24 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 9 502 05-08-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: tdat314