Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits
(03-16-2024, 10:42 PM)theredwallflower Wrote: I am following the same plan. Will Sophia’s conflict resolution transfer to UMPI as BUS 210? On their website, UMPI shows it’ll transfer in as an elective.
No it will not. Sophia Workplace Communication transfers in as BUS/COM 210. https://app.sophia.org/online-courses/wo...nication-2

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
(03-17-2024, 12:31 AM)Darknigh7 Wrote:
(03-16-2024, 10:42 PM)theredwallflower Wrote: I am following the same plan. Will Sophia’s conflict resolution transfer to UMPI as BUS 210? On their website, UMPI shows it’ll transfer in as an elective.
No it will not. Sophia Workplace Communication transfers in as BUS/COM 210. https://app.sophia.org/online-courses/wo...nication-2

Thank you for the information! Do you know the deadline for turning in credits? I’m hoping to start at UMPI in May.
(03-17-2024, 09:15 AM)theredwallflower Wrote:

Thank you for the information! Do you know the deadline for turning in credits? I’m hoping to start at UMPI in May.

Just right before your first post, I answered your question here in post #29: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid413608
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-17-2024, 12:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(03-17-2024, 09:15 AM)theredwallflower Wrote:

Just right before your first post, I answered your question here in post #29: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid413608
Wow! I don’t know how I missed that one. Undecided  Thank you for the confirmation.  Big Grin
(02-18-2024, 08:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's too late for Spring 2... You're good to apply after your Sophia.org classes are all complete.  I would focus on getting them all done, then apply by the end of March.  Application deadline is April 2, 2024 and the document deadline is April 5, 2024.  I would apply the last week of March, send all transcripts by the end of March as the confirmation deadline to start is April 12, 2024.  You want to confirm that start date no later than April 5, give yourself a week buffer time for all dates... While waiting for start of session which is May 6, you can complete all the Coursera first and then Study.com (if needed).

From this it sounds like you need to finish all of Sophia and transfer credits before applying - but Study.com you can do anytime before the start of session?

Do you know what the difference is between those? I'm familiar with WGU, where once you start you can't transfer. Is UMPI different?
UMPI is different than WGU, you can transfer more credits later on anytime you want... Basically, you can apply, send your current transcripts for evaluation. If you started your session, you can still add classes to have them added/transferred later. My suggestion is to get as many ACE credits through Coursera/Sophia.org classes as possible for transfer credit, up to 90 credits. Minimize the use of Study.com unless necessary.

(03-17-2024, 07:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: UMPI is different than WGU, you can transfer more credits later on anytime you want... Basically, you can apply, send your current transcripts for evaluation.  If you started your session, you can still add classes to have them added/transferred later.   My suggestion is to get as many ACE credits through Coursera/Sophia.org classes as possible for transfer credit, up to 90 credits.  Minimize the use of Study.com unless necessary.

For most people, Study.com is a distant second choice and only done because Sophia doesn't have the class that transfers. In this case, are you thinking that it would be better to take the classes at UMPI than Study.com?

In my spreadsheet I have the following planned for Study:
English 105: College Composition II (This is because of horror stories I read about English Comp II at Sophia)
Business Math (Note: This is required for BA Business Admin majors)
Accounting 301: Applied Managerial Accounting
Business 303: Management Information Systems
Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising

I could certainly do those at UMPI instead of Study, I just assumed it would be smart to maximize how much I do before starting.

Thanks so much for your advice, you're super helpful on these forums.
Basically, It really depends on the class and what the requirements are for the degree of choice, here's an example, for those going the BAS/BLS option, you can max the transfers with Sophia.org, all 90+ credits. You can skip the Study.com subscription altogether and take the 30 credits at UMPI to finish the degree. This is cheaper, faster, and also off-sets the Pierpont $130+ cost of transcripts for those going the BAS route, you also get cheap/free Coursera ACE credits that add Certs/Experience to the mix...

Having said that, for those going the BA, BABA, there are some classes that are not available at Sophia.org, thus you will need to take them at Study.com as there are a few classes you need/want, there are the occasional ones that may be easier/faster with UMPI, such as the English 105: College Comp II you referenced, at UMPI I think it's just 1 written assignment, it's easier/faster than Study.com, you should decide what the 10 classes at UMPI are, I generally recommend ones that can't be transferred in.

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • layermonkey
Quick update here, I completed all my external credits. I decided to do no Study.com classes and transfer in everything else from Sophia and Coursera. The coursera certs were less work than expected, but I decided to do the shorter IBM cert, as I don't need the class the longer one transfers in. The Google PM cert was a lot of fun, the IBM Data Analytics was ok and very fast. Google Data Analytics however took forever and was a bit exhausting, especially the R programming part. Anyway, now I am waiting for my highschool diploma evaluation from WES.org. I highly recommend against them, they advertise 3 days processing time and I'm at over two months now. My highschool diploma is straightforward and nothing exotic. I heard Scholaro was faster, so next time I would take that.
(03-18-2024, 03:54 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, It really depends on the class and what the requirements are for the degree of choice, here's an example, for those going the BAS/BLS option, you can max the transfers with Sophia.org, all 90+ credits.  You can skip the Study.com subscription altogether and take the 30 credits at UMPI to finish the degree.  This is cheaper, faster, and also off-sets the Pierpont $130+ cost of transcripts for those going the BAS route, you also get cheap/free Coursera ACE credits that add Certs/Experience to the mix...

Having said that, for those going the BA, BABA, there are some classes that are not available at Sophia.org, thus you will need to take them at Study.com as there are a few classes you need/want, there are the occasional ones that may be easier/faster with UMPI, such as the English 105: College Comp II you referenced, at UMPI I think it's just 1 written assignment, it's easier/faster than Study.com, you should decide what the 10 classes at UMPI are, I generally recommend ones that can't be transferred in.

FWIW, I've been on SDC for a few weeks now and I think it's pretty good. It's certainly more expensive than Sophia, but reasonable. I also find that I retain what I'm learning better on SDC, probably because there's a greater emphasis on assignments AND those assignments generally get turned around right away. I certainly liked the English class on SDC and am very glad I didn't do it at Sophia. I don't like that it takes a week or more for my proctored final to be laminated, however.

So this leaves me with 10 classes I can't take at Sophia, SDC, and Coursera, which to me is optimal:

BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 325: Financial Management
BUS 440: Business Analytics
BUS 469: Strategic Professional Communication
BUS 219: Product Development
BUS 261: Marketing Research and Analysis
BUS 307: Fundamentals Consumer Behavior
BUS 334: Advertising, Public Relations
BUS 337: Integrated Marketing Communications
BUS 430: Global Marketing

FWIW, the English class at SDC really prepared me to write papers in MLA format with proper citations. I sort of mailed those in previously but I feel like I have a better handle on it now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 8 193 11 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 222 04-25-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 113 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 172 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 137 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 486 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,245 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 561 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 638 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,113 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB