Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management planning/Advice help.
Hello all I am interested in gaining a BABA with a concentration in Supply Chain Management from UMPI, I have 71 credits from more than a decade ago of Regionally Accredited Public university. I took three 1-credit courses from Sophia in 2019, have the Google IT Support Certificate from april 2022 and attended WGU and got 3 credits from attending for a six month term and I am on a term break there. 

I am currently enrolled at WGU but on a term break, I chose WGU because I had been thinking about completing my degree through a competency based school for years. I chose a tech degree simply for the Bachelor of science name, but I have no interest in setting up or maintaining computers. I know WGU launched (April 2023) a Supply Chain degree but that was the push I needed to look more closely into UMPI. WGU only accepted 30 of my credits (for the tech degree) and due to housing situation and not being able to test well I am more interested in UMPIs Finals than WGU online at home proctored exams. I can't keep my concentration for more than 40 minutes max to take a test ( always been a problem since I was young) and have always skated by in school through essays. I know I should try to switch majors with WGU but I a am looking at all my options and I think since UMPI's program is already mature and WGU is new it will have less hiccups.

Degree I want: BABA Supply Chain Management from UMPI

CUNY: 71 credits
ENGL 110 Fresman composition  3
ENGR 101 Engr Design Wkshp    1
ECO 100 Prin Microeconomics     3
ENGL 210007 Writing for Engineers   3
MATH 195 Pre-calculus    3
FREN 441 Literature outside France   3
PSC 104 World Politics     3
WHUM 102 World Humanities    3
FREN 451 French Civilization     3
HIST 412 Industrial Revolution  3
MUS 101 Introduction Music      3
WCIV 102 1400 AD to Present   3
SPCH 111 Speech Foundations   3
EAS 106 Earth Systems Science   4
PHIL 300 The Rational Animal   3
BIO 101 Foundations of Biology   4
BIO 102 Foundations of Biology II   4
ECO 225 Macroeconomics   3
ECO 290 Principle of Statistics   4
ECO 340 Principles of Management  3
USSO 101 Development of US & people    3
ECO B8200 Public Finance economic development    3
ECO 360 Accounting 1      3

SOPHIA : 3 credits
Developing Effective Teams    1
Student Success       1
The Essentials of Managing Conflict      1

Coursera
Google IT Support Certification

Budget: I was able to get financial aid to cover most of my tuition at WGU(the rest was through a Scholarship) and hope I will be able to do the same with UMPI. Term break might complicate things I don't know?
Commitments: I have no kids or significant other I work full time overnight and have the day free.
Dedicated time to study: 20 hours a week 
Timeline : I would like to finish as quickly as possible
Tuition assistance: None 

Thanks in advance for your help.
Unfortunately, UMPI isn't going to be a LOT better about accepting your credits just because they're fairly picky on their GEC, and you didn't take "normal" courses like Intro to Psych and American Gov - so it may be that they won't take as many as you'd like. And they don't have much space for free electives, of which you have a lot. One good thing is that you have some UL completed, so that will be nice not to have to take as many of those.

I would apply to UMPI to see where they bring all of this in. Some will be easy - English Comp I, Speech, Intro to Music, Precalc, Stats, Bio I & II, Earth Science, Western Civ, Accounting I, Macro & Microecon - those all work in the degree. But once they come back with your eval, that's your time to appeal if you can (I mean, French Civilization SHOULD count as Diverse World Views, The Rational Animal MAY HAVE covered ethics). And then, to go ahead and sign up with Sophia to take all of your remaining GEC and major courses.

If you are fluent in French, you might want to take the CLEP - or the OPIc exam (and if you can read it well, or understand it, then you could do those exams instead) - rather than do the Spanish course at Sophia.

I think you could probably finish what you need to in a month or two at the most, and then enroll at UMPI for Summer and be done in 2-3 terms (since it will be covered by Financial Aid, there's no huge rush to finish in 2 terms which is the norm, plus you have more than the average with this major).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I do believe that you'll need at least one exam at UMPI, unless they change it again. MAT140 is needed for a BABA and has been an exam. I think you have a couple of hours and it's not proctored, so you could possibly Pomodoro it: 15 minutes of exam, 5 minutes of break, etc. Other classes may also have exams where you could use this technique. But UMPI will definitely be mostly papers/projects.

Have you looked at the current UMPI Supply Chain Management degree plan on the wiki? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@psychcs, Welcome to the board... I also would recommend looking at the wiki plan Rachel83AZ linked you above. You should create a spreadsheet of the requirements, copy/paste your file into your google or one drive, make it viewable (not editable) and link us to it with a reply to this thread. If you're not sure a course you've taken will hit those requirements, you can note that on the side and we'll provide you comments or follow up instructions...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-21-2023, 04:34 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I do believe that you'll need at least one exam at UMPI, unless they change it again. MAT140 is needed for a BABA and has been an exam. I think you have a couple of hours and it's not proctored, so you could possibly Pomodoro it: 15 minutes of exam, 5 minutes of break, etc. Other classes may also have exams where you could use this technique. But UMPI will definitely be mostly papers/projects.

Have you looked at the current UMPI Supply Chain Management degree plan on the wiki? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

Hello thank you for the reply.

Yes I did look at that page, even printed it out and have been looking at trying to figure out what will be accepted but as it says in the wiki the GEC is complicated. I have done what bjcheung suggested and made a google drive with what I think are the classes that will transfer into UMPI. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Also I am completely confused about the transfer evaluation process after you apply to UMPI, is it like WGU where you can't bring any classes after you see what classes they will accept or can I apply this week, see what I am missing and complete those at Sophia and then transfer those credits to UMPI before my start date.

Link to google drive : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Thanks in advance.
What happened to make you want to leave CUNY? Were you a butt-in-seat traditional student or online? You did a lot of credits there already.

The CUNY School of Professional Studies allows for 105 out of 120 credits to transfer in. The cost is $305 a credit for NY residents.

All programs
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergraduate

BS Business
https://sps.catalog.cuny.edu/programs/BUS-BS

As far as I know, CUNY will take credit from Alt credit sources such as Sophia or Study.com
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-22-2023, 02:49 PM)LevelUP Wrote: What happened to make you want to leave CUNY? Were you a butt-in-seat traditional student or online? You did a lot of credits there already.

The CUNY School of Professional Studies allows for 105 out of 120 credits to transfer in. The cost is $305 a credit for NY residents.

All programs
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/undergraduate

BS Business
https://sps.catalog.cuny.edu/programs/BUS-BS

As far as I know, CUNY will take credit from Alt credit sources such as Sophia or Study.com

I left CUNY more than a decade ago and as good as I did in some classes, I also failed a lot. I won't go into details since they are personal just that the 70 credits were the ones I got a C and above in, I also took many classes that I failed, I had no direction and simply went to school because it's what I was supposed to do. I went there full time and later part time for 5 years but never had a major, I burned through money that was left to me for school to pay for it back then. I felt that if I spent the money on classes then I was doing what I was supposed to do. I don't want to go back to CUNY, its a sore spot for me. 

I now have an interest in becoming a supply chain analyst eventually and it is why I want the UMPI degree. I have been for the last two years in inventory, receiving and delivery and find that I like it. I want to merge my interest in excel analytics ( Something I picked up from playing around with an excel sheet of my degree plan from years ago ironically) with a career in supply chain analysis. I like the idea of finding solutions through data. It is the first time I have found something I am truly interested in and from what I am seeing the UMPI course fits my needs and can work with my learning limitations (I suck at tests and can't focus for a proctored exam).

Thanks for the suggestion, while I don't want it ( if it becomes my best option I will consider going back to CUNY and just getting a business degree).
You can bring in more classes at UMPI after enrolling, but you need permission to do so. I haven't heard anyone be denied permission, but it's theoretically a possibility. You can also apply and then defer enrollment once you have your initial evaluation. Then go back in and transfer whatever you are missing.

You should, at the very least, try to make sure the GEC is filled out as much as possible. The rest is more or less optional.

Do you already have an Associate? I know you want a Bachelor's degree, but if you don't have an Associate yet, you might be interested in Pierpont's FREE BOG AAS degree. You should have everything needed. The only cost would be sending your transcript to Pierpont. Sometimes, having an Associate degree can really boost one's confidence to show that they can do this.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-23-2023, 03:13 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can bring in more classes at UMPI after enrolling, but you need permission to do so. I haven't heard anyone be denied permission, but it's theoretically a possibility. You can also apply and then defer enrollment once you have your initial evaluation. Then go back in and transfer whatever you are missing.

You should, at the very least, try to make sure the GEC is filled out as much as possible. The rest is more or less optional.

Do you already have an Associate? I know you want a Bachelor's degree, but if you don't have an Associate yet, you might be interested in Pierpont's FREE BOG AAS degree. You should have everything needed. The only cost would be sending your transcript to Pierpont. Sometimes, having an Associate degree can really boost one's confidence to show that they can do this.

Thanks for explaining UMPI transfer policy post application to me, wow every reply is introducing me to something new. I never heard of Pierpont before and it's interesting especially the information system concentration since I have the google it support certification. If I went that route, it would take months though compared to if I only have to knock out some Sophia courses no?

Would having the Associate mean I only have to deal with the BABA and Supply Chain concentration requirement without having to worry about the GEC and Free Electives (would they be covered by the Pierpont degree?).

Wouldn't it take months for Pierpont to process my info and credits to confer the degree. How fast is it? I get that graduation and the diploma take time, but how long after submitting my application and CUNY + Coursera/Credly transcripts would I be able to tell UMPI hey I have an associates let me in to get a bachelors.

Thanks for this new info, it's amazing all the hidden gems I am learning about from this thread alone.

BTW did you check out my google sheets plan for UMPI supply Chain would appreciate your input.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
(05-23-2023, 10:57 AM)psychcs Wrote:  Would having the Associate mean I only have to deal with the BABA and Supply Chain concentration requirement without having to worry about the GEC and Free Electives (would they be covered by the Pierpont degree?).

No. The AAS has nothing to do with the degree requirements at UMPI. You will need to complete the GEC, electives, and the major and Concentration requirements. You won't be waived from any degree requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbiw Advice - Direction - Reality Check OchoNombres 1 91 04-26-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 112 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 172 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 111 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,620 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 137 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 231 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 485 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 648 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,245 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM