Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
Applying to COSC doesn't mean you have to send your AP scores immediately. The AP credits are relatively predictable, so no need to get them sent in if the reason for applying is mainly to see where your existing credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-21-2018, 01:54 PM)davewill Wrote: Applying to COSC doesn't mean you have to send your AP scores immediately. The AP credits are relatively predictable, so no need to get them sent in if the reason for applying is mainly to see where your existing credit.

That's a good point. Guess I should just bite the bullet!  Big Grin
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
Curiosity has set in on me. Has anyone had contact with TESU since Shmoop started proctoring? What are they doing now?
(07-04-2018, 08:48 AM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: Curiosity has set in on me. Has anyone had contact with TESU since Shmoop started proctoring? What are they doing now?

I guess this is from before they started proctoring, but I heard from them on the June 25th. I get the impression from the message they sent that the reason they don't accept the credits isn't because of a lack of proctoring. Here's what they said:

Unfortunately, our institution no longer accepts Schmoop credits for transfer. That did start a few months ago. It has to do with their accreditation.

We will accept up to 80 credits from Regionally accredited two year schools or Community Colleges and up to 117 from four year schools and Universities.

We will also accept up to 90 credits from ACE. 
----------------
Are they saying that they lost their ACE credit recommendation a few months ago? I know that isn't the case, but is that what they're telling me? They say in the bottom line they accept up to 90 ACE credits, and Shmoop is ACE accredited.
I suspect they haven't rationalized their reason yet.

"We will also accept up to 90 credits from ACE. "

Is this correct? Isn't this normally stated as "from any one school?"
(07-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Argo Wrote: Unfortunately, our institution no longer accepts Schmoop credits for transfer. That did start a few months ago. It has to do with their accreditation.

We will accept up to 80 credits from Regionally accredited two year schools or Community Colleges and up to 117 from four year schools and Universities.

We will also accept up to 90 credits from ACE. 
----------------
Are they saying that they lost their ACE credit recommendation a few months ago? I know that isn't the case, but is that what they're telling me? They say in the bottom line they accept up to 90 ACE credits, and Shmoop is ACE accredited.

Unfortunately, the person who wrote you this email is confused.

First, course providers aren't "accredited", so if this was the case, then they wouldn't accept ANY ACE courses.  That's just silly.

Second, they accept up to 90cr from any single course provider, but you can certainly have more than 90cr of ACE overall.  Many people on this forum have brought in 117cr, all from ACE, but different providers.  Many.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
(07-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Argo Wrote: Are they saying that they lost their ACE credit recommendation a few months ago? I know that isn't the case, but is that what they're telling me? They say in the bottom line they accept up to 90 ACE credits, and Shmoop is ACE accredited.

TESU takes most ACE. Shmoop is still ACE, but TESU decided to stop taking them. They can choose. They don't have to take all ACE. TESU might start taking them again since they added proctoring, but we are waiting to hear.

(07-04-2018, 10:52 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(07-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Argo Wrote: Are they saying that they lost their ACE credit recommendation a few months ago? I know that isn't the case, but is that what they're telling me? They say in the bottom line they accept up to 90 ACE credits, and Shmoop is ACE accredited.

TESU takes most ACE. Shmoop is still ACE, but TESU decided to stop taking them. They can choose. They don't have to take all ACE. TESU might start taking them again since they added proctoring, but we are waiting to hear.

Yes, obviously they can choose.  But saying they don't take them due to accreditation is not correct.  None of the ACE providers is accredited, because they aren't schools (I guess PF would be an exception, since they are a NA school, but have specific courses ACE-recommended).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ideas
[quote pid='264125' dateline='1530762723']

[/quote]

TESU apparently doesn't know why they don't accept Shmoop courses.  I suspect it had to do with the high level of success of students enrolled there.  I did over 10 courses in a month but it was a full time job.  I completed each Shakespeare course in a few days by watching the plays on DVD where possible or online.  I can't stay awake reading that stuff.

I did a lot of courses cold and would pass 2/3 of the sections and then go back and read the sections I flunked to repeat the exam.  I totally bombed several courses, running out of exams.  I also passed several on first try as I knew the subject matter well.  These were the 3 history courses and the Biblical Literature.

My goal was to achieve a minimum score that rounded up to 70%.  I think the highest mark might have been 73%.  I simply treated the courses as challenge exams with retries and I'm sure many thousands of people did the same.  As a source of credits, it is simply too cheap and popular - nothing more and nothing less and that irked TESU.
(07-05-2018, 12:05 PM)Old Guy Wrote: I simply treated the courses as challenge exams with retries and I'm sure many thousands of people did the same.  As a source of credits, it is simply too cheap and popular - nothing more and nothing less and that irked TESU.

I don't think TESU was "irked" because of these reasons.  They don't get money whether you take courses from SL, Study.com, CLEP exams, or whatever.  It's all the same to them financially.

I think there were other issues, and TESU thought it was too easy to cheat and get a ton of credits, and they won't take the courses until they're proctored, if at all.  Maybe someone from their school went through a couple of courses and determined that there were other issues, who knows.  And yes, TEEX and ALEKS are unproctored - but there are only a few credits you can earn there, so it's not as much of an issue.

But to say that TESU cares about how much we pay for credits outside of them is nuts.  CLEP's are free through Modern States.  ALEKS is $20/mo.  TEEX is free.  Study.com had 6 free courses for a lot of people.  Those were all accepted without fail from TESU.  So money cannot be the issue.
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, leland.kirk, Sapientes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 179 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,734 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 372 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,169 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42