Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with finding a home for my college credits~
clep3705 Wrote:Accelerated nursing programs for people with previous degrees have horrible attrition rates. The 12 month programs were seeing 50% attrition rates, which is why so many schools have done away with them. The 15 month programs are better, but still flunk out 5-10% and have 20% graduate a semester or two late. Nursing school attrition rates are a dirty little secret.

I'm sure, fwiw, all college attrition is terrible. The CC in my own town has a 10% graduation rate! Pathetic. That said, I think most nursing school talk is just that. Without disrespecting the OP, I can't count the number of people who told me they wanted to go to nursing school,but I CAN count the number who did. On one hand. I suggested it only because it seems like the OP has more pressing goals at the moment.
Thanks for everyones input! ^_^

The reason I'm not very interested in testing out is for 2 reasons.
#1. I do better in a class like environment with structure. The "have to" feel of going to class (online or in a classroom) and having required deadlines gives me the needed "motivation". Especially for uninteresting topics.
#2. I never do well with big tests. It's almost like stage fright. In a regular situation I could know a topic really well, but put me in a room with a graded test and I won't do well at all. :/

Unfortunately, I'm only fluent in English at the moment. I've studied a ton of languages, but am just barely conversational in a few. Currently on my free time I study Mandarin and Korean.

Yesterday I registered for two 8 week classes at New Mexico Junior College. Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs & Child Psychology. I wanted to go with different classes but to have my transcript sent would take too long and I would miss the opportunity to register, so I just picked classes that sound interesting without needing prereqs.
Let's see how far I can go~
Racher Bunny,

Seems like you are in a hurry to get yourself a degree. There's nothing wrong with that but having a degree to teach overseas, should be something that will be useful to you outside of the short time you will be able to stay overseas unless you are a citizen of another jurisdiction. You should ask a few questions, will my future employers want to see my transcript or just the actual physical degree.
If they want to see the transcript is your GPA going to come into the equation. GPA is calculated on the course you take at the college issuing the degree (mostly) since CLEP tests are pass/fail you get a P on your transcript. I'm enrolled at Excelsior and most of my courses there are 8 weeks long. I'm glad to be able to test out of classes that I may not need in the future. The CLEP test isn't as terrifying as other tests I've had to do in an exam hall with hundreds of other students as I was so anxious about my first one that once I began it the anxiety went away. I was thinking too much about the questions to be anxious. CLEP and DSST test help you fill in the classes in your General Education that you already know. If you attended an American High school you already know a lot about U.S History so with a bit of effort you can get 3 credits by preparing through Instantcert or other resources sometimes in as quick as two weeks preparation. It took me 4 weeks but I did it and I'm not an American, by birth or education. Its around $95 and if you fail you can resit the test or take the class later (six months to resit the test) your fail grade doesn't go on your transcript. The Excelsior tests last about 3 hours so there fairly difficult in my opinion but worth considering too. Before you enroll at a college make sure you detail the exact costs of your degree.

In many peoples opinion on this forum getting an Associates degree is a use of valuable resources that could be directed at your B.A if you can teach overseas with an associates that's one thing but if the goal is to get the BA to teach then you shouldn't use time and resources getting the Associates particularly if you have to pay for capstone classes in both Associates and on the BA. You can enroll at Excelsior College under a partnership program and this will cut enrollment cost if you want to take classes there as you need to have 12 credits in house before you graduate in order to cut the price for enrollment and graduation.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,984 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,774 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 875 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,048 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 755 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 441 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,352 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 625 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 448 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM