Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA.
Hi there,

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days and I really appreciate all of the information you have on here. Several years ago, I took several classes at a state college, got incredibly depressed, and ended up dropping out with a 1.4 gpa. Recently, I took dozens of classes on Sophia Learning, and passes all of them, which transferred a ton of credits to the community college I'm now studying at. I just have one problem: I need at least a 2.5 GPA or higher to get into the University I want to attend after graduating with my associates degree. I may be able to achieve this, and I have very good grades right now, but I only need three more classes to graduate, and there's a chance that I might not get an A in one of them next semester, trapping me with a lower GPA and a lost chance at attending a higher level university.

Are there any cheap classes that are quick and easy to complete that are graded? I am not afraid of hard work, I am swamped with work and classes, providing for myself, so I would prefer something that isn't too difficult to complete that would easily transfer to a community college in Florida so I can increase my Cumulative GPA?
ASU learner has a few Gen Ed classes like English 2 that might be accepted by Florida universities. You just pay 25 usd sign up fee, do the course and if you don't like the score you got, you can withdraw without penalty and nothing gets registered on the transcript. That might be an option for you.
(07-27-2024, 04:23 PM)Treach Wrote: Hi there,

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days and I really appreciate all of the information you have on here. Several years ago, I took several classes at a state college, got incredibly depressed, and ended up dropping out with a 1.4 gpa. Recently, I took dozens of classes on Sophia Learning, and passes all of them, which transferred a ton of credits to the community college I'm now studying at. I just have one problem: I need at least a 2.5 GPA or higher to get into the University I want to attend after graduating with my associates degree. I may be able to achieve this, and I have very good grades right now, but I only need three more classes to graduate, and there's a chance that I might not get an A in one of them next semester, trapping me with a lower GPA and a lost chance at attending a higher level university.

Are there any cheap classes that are quick and easy to complete that are graded? I am not afraid of hard work, I am swamped with work and classes, providing for myself, so I would prefer something that isn't too difficult to complete that would easily transfer to a community college in Florida so I can increase my Cumulative GPA?

The only way to really fix your GPA is to repeat the courses with poor grades at the college you took them at. That's the only way your GPA there will really improve. I had to do this years ago. My college kept the Fs and Ds on my transcripts but replaced them in my GPA when I repeated them. So the As and Bs were factored into my GPA instead. Yes, taking more classes can help raise your GPA but it will never be awesome with those poor grades in there which really sucks.
@Treach, Great intro post, but there's really not enough info to go by with your inquiry as the info on the addendum and template is missing. You need to decide on the pathway with best results, any advice you get is only secondary as we don't decide for you, but provide you avenues that should work, you'll be swayed in all directions. Update us with the info requested for in the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Side Note: Swamped with college and work indicates an obstacle to getting more classes completed at the same time... It depends on the classes and grades you've taken prior, if you have anything lower than a C-, you should take it from the college or university you attended before. Also you need to ask if that institution provides an option to disregard failed grades after X years, as some institutions have a policy for that! Provide more details and we'll be investigating options for you...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
St Louis Community College

The rate for STLCC online courses is $122.00 per credit hour for residents and $125 an hour for out-of-district, Midwest Student Exchange, and out-of-state students.

https://stlcc.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees/
Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. It’s awesome that you’ve turned things around with Sophia Learning, and you’re so close to reaching your goal! It sucks when a few past grades drag down your GPA, especially when you're already doing so much to improve.

If you’re looking for some easier, graded classes that could boost your GPA, you might want to consider options like StraighterLine or Study.com. Both of these platforms offer courses that are usually pretty manageable, and they’re designed to transfer to a lot of colleges, including community colleges in Florida. Some of the general education courses like Intro to Sociology, Communications, or even some business courses tend to be on the lighter side in terms of workload. Just make sure you pick classes that will transfer over without any issues.

Also, don’t stress too much about getting a perfect A in every class—though I know it’s easier said than done. Focus on what’s within your control, and if you do happen to fall short in one class, those extra credits from StraighterLine or Study.com could be the buffer you need.
Study dot com and StraighterLine come in the same way as Sophia - they are also ACE credits and do not affect GPA.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Not to rain on your parade, but if your current GPA is 1.4, it's going to take a *lot* of credits to raise it to a 2.5.

Many schools now have an "academic amnesty" program where, if you can demonstrate a current GPA that is higher (often 3.0 or greater), they will erase your prior bad grades. You might inquire at your original institution and see if they have such a program. That would be *much* easier than trying to raise your GPA by taking a bunch more courses.

The other thing to consider is reaching out to the admissions or registrar's office of the school you are considering, explaining the situation, and seeing if they have an exception process. At some schools, if current grades are strong, and it is older credits at the beginning of a college career that are pulling down the GPA, they will give you probationary admission provided you maintain a GPA of 3.0.
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • davewill, ss20ts
Another thing to check. Minimum GPA requirements are sometimes different between freshman admissions and transfer students. Make sure that minimum GPA you're looking at will actually apply to you. Definitely worth talking to an admissions advisor at the university before jumping through a lot of hoops.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The cheapest option would be just taking more classes through your community college until you raise your cumulative GPA before you get an Associates. This would delay your transfer but it would be the cheapest, since you can't beat in-state community college prices generally. All you'd need to do would be to take additional non-related classes while saving the necessary classes to get the Associates for your last term.

If you're talking about "fastest", then ASU Universal Learning, or extension schools like Berkeley offer anytime self-paced options (generally those self-paced do have a time limit of a certain amount of months) which you can take immediately, however those are far more expensive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,942 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,144 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Quick, Cheap, Easy Academic Certificate kevinmane 11 3,457 09-10-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 937 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 519 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 242 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 1,044 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 22 3,234 05-15-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Travellifter
  Any leads on cheap-ish studio art classes? RachelB 6 634 05-13-2024, 07:30 PM
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,178 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter