Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which College?: New and Overwhelmed.
socsci Wrote:Although you are just starting out on the way to teaching abroad, it might be a good idea to consider beyond programs like JET and what you are going to do after. With a degree and no teaching license you will be able to teach English in many places, but it will be in language schools/ESL setting. While this is fun to travel around and get experience, and a career can be made of it, the jobs often pay quite low and it will take dedication and a masters later to move up in a very crowded field.
There are better opportunities for rewarding careers in international schools but they require teaching licenses and often degrees in subjects, if you want to teach science or math etc. There are also many 2nd and 3rd tier schools around the world that don't have as strict recruiting policies as the big international schools but will still require experience and some education related courses/professional development.
Just something to think about as you start to build courses for your bachelors, including some education related courses and some extra English courses will look good on your transcript and will open up other options in the future if you decide to move away from ESL work.

You could even add in a associate degree with a concentration in English from Excelsior with all the courses shmoop now offers Smile
Looking at your credits, it seems like a BA in Liberal Studies would be a good fit for you.
Your first step should be to go to ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires. Search the forum for efficient ways to complete Intermediate Algebra, and be extremely careful as you take the placement exam, because you will get your credits with no further work if you get 70% on the placement test.

After that, apply for the Study.com scholarship:
Get Free Access to Study.com's College Accelerator Sponsored by Guardian | Study.com

Then take Personal Finance (required first course) and use it as a free elective.

After that, use those five remaining classes for your upper level courses, among which:
Business 113: Business Communication/ TESU Business 113: Business Communication 3UL
Psychology 104: Social Psychology/ TESU PSY-370 : Social Psychology 3UL
Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology/ TESU PSY-322 : Research in Exp Psych 3UL
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology/ TESU PSY-350 : Abnormal Psychology 3UL
History 108: History of the Vietnam War/ TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War 3UL
Biology 103: Microbiology/ TESU BIO-351 : Microbiology 3UL
Biology 106: Pathophysiology/ TESU BIO-316 : Pathophysiology 3UL
Or get approval for
Business 107: Organizational Behavior/ as TESU PSY-361 Organizational Behavior 3UL

Study.com also has a lot of education courses, and you could take those along with the Shmoop literature classes to make yourself a good candidate for English teaching jobs. Unfortunately they only count as free electives at TESU.

While you are waiting for your scholarship approval, go ahead and take English Composition II through Straighterline. You will also need to take Straighterline’s Intro to Communication (COM-108). In addition, you could take a science course through SL, or go to Saylor for the cost of a $25 proctor fee.

After those, you could take the free Ethics class from The Institutes.

Shmoop would be a good source for a lot of other general ed and liberal studies credits. You could take their three history classes and lots of literature (and math) courses for $90/ month.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Looking at your credits, it seems like a BA in Liberal Studies would be a good fit for you.
Your first step should be to go to ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires. Search the forum for efficient ways to complete Intermediate Algebra, and be extremely careful as you take the placement exam, because you will get your credits with no further work if you get 70% on the placement test.

Get Free Access to Study.com's College Accelerator Sponsored by Guardian | Study.com

Then take Personal Finance (required first course) and use it as a free elective.

After that, use those five remaining classes for your upper level courses, among which:
Business 113: Business Communication/ TESU Business 113: Business Communication 3UL
Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology/ TESU PSY-322 : Research in Exp Psych 3UL
History 108: History of the Vietnam War/ TESU HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War 3UL
Or get approval for
Business 107: Organizational Behavior/ as TESU PSY-361 Organizational Behavior 3UL

Study.com also has a lot of education courses, and you could take those along with the Shmoop literature classes to make yourself a good candidate for English teaching jobs. Unfortunately they only count as free electives at TESU.

While you are waiting for your scholarship approval, go ahead and take English Composition II through Straighterline. You will also need to take Straighterline’s Intro to Communication (COM-108). In addition, you could take a science course through SL, or go to Saylor for the cost of a $25 proctor fee.

Shmoop would be a good source for a lot of other general ed and liberal studies credits. You could take their three history classes and lots of literature (and math) courses for $90/ month.

Kay it looks like you've laid out a solid plan with very good suggestions! You are great at that!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
KayV Wrote:Looking at your credits, it seems like a BA in Liberal Studies would be a good fit for you.

Or get approval for

I love you.

Can you help me understand the part about "ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires"
I'm still trying to understand exactly what ACE is. Is ALEKS about to lose accreditation for some reason? Or is it an annually renewing thing?"
SaebScholar Wrote:I love you.

Can you help me understand the part about "ALEKS and get your Intermediate Algebra class completed before ALEKS ACE accreditation expires"
I'm still trying to understand exactly what ACE is. Is ALEKS about to lose accreditation for some reason? Or is it an annually renewing thing?"

Correct ALEKS (owned my McGraw Hill) has not reapplied for accreditation, so you need their credits on a transcript (ACE) by the end of the month. They are only $20 a month, so if you already know your math it's very inexpensive credits
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:Correct ALEKS (owned my McGraw Hill) has not reapplied for accreditation, so you need their credits on a transcript (ACE) by the end of the month. They are only $20 a month, so if you already know your math it's very inexpensive credits

Yikes, Well it's been like 6 years since I've done math. I spent the 20 dollars for Aleks intermediate algebra. Is there an Icert flashcard system for this. Also When he says placement does he mean the "assessment" in the aleks course site?
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:Correct ALEKS (owned my McGraw Hill) has not reapplied for accreditation, so you need their credits on a transcript (ACE) by the end of the month. They are only $20 a month, so if you already know your math it's very inexpensive credits

Yikes! I haven't done algebra in like 7 years, and I just spent the 20 dollars for aleks! How can I pass this assessment by the end of the month? You mean the beginning assessment right?

EDIT: ugh sorry the format for this forum is slightly different than I am use to.
I can put the generic BALS degree here for you. It's not as helpful if you don't understand all the options, so start by reading on this forum to get a better understanding of what's going on: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...llege.html (some of it is outdated, but it still provides a ton of helpful info on how this whole thing works).

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 43.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SaebScholar Wrote:Yikes! I haven't done algebra in like 7 years, and I just spent the 20 dollars for aleks! How can I pass this assessment by the end of the month? You mean the beginning assessment right?

EDIT: ugh sorry the format for this forum is slightly different than I am use to.

You want your pie chart to reach 70%, if your first assessment over than your already done (and then it's about submitting it to ACE). If not you click on sections of the pie and do the work, after you have done enough it will give you a new assessment. Each time your score should go up, it's not exactly a test based system - think of it as marking your progress until you have learned x% of a subject - 70% of a subject is passing.

So yes in many ways it can be harder than some classes who often don't cover %70 or a subject - like the statistics course, in my opinion ALEKS was far more difficult than something like a business or intro stats class, those don't require nearly the breadth of knowledge the ALEKS course does.

Don't get discouraged if you find ALEKS difficult or odd, it is unique among the distance learning options available - it's just so inexpensive for 9-12 credits we all tend to jump on it right away. If it's a PITA just move on and you can always pick up a traditional math class
AJ_Atlanta Wrote:You want your pie chart to reach 70%, if your first assessment over than your already done (and then it's about submitting it to ACE). If not you click on sections of the pie and do the work, after you have done enough it will give you a new assessment. Each time your score should go up, it's not exactly a test based system - think of it as marking your progress until you have learned x% of a subject - 70% of a subject is passing.

So yes in many ways it can be harder than some classes who often don't cover %70 or a subject - like the statistics course, in my opinion ALEKS was far more difficult than something like a business or intro stats class, those don't require nearly the breadth of knowledge the ALEKS course does.

Don't get discouraged if you find ALEKS difficult or odd, it is unique among the distance learning options available - it's just so inexpensive for 9-12 credits we all tend to jump on it right away. If it's a PITA just move on and you can always pick up a traditional math class
I took the placement exam but i cannot tell what percentage i got. Where do you see this info?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,853 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,741 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Feeling overwhelmed JerBear3000 2 164 09-12-2024, 07:49 PM
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,030 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 39 3,323 08-26-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,342 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 432 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 294 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox