Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI - Sophia into a BA of History & PoliSci
Hey y'all, I'm pretty new to this forum; found it thanks to the wiki page. 

I'm coming back into higher education from community college (no degree). I started the online application - haven't sent in transcripts or ACE credits - and met with an enrollment advisor today. 

I'm trying to complete as many credits for transfer into a BA of History & PoliSci with a focus on PoliSci and I'm wondering if anyone else has done, or is doing this degree. I'm going to activate my Sophia subscription and going to try to complete as many GECs as possible in a month using the UMPI Sophia Transfer Equivalent and the UMPI General Education Curriculum pages as references. 

If y'all can, could you share with me your experiences pursuing this BA and what you like and don't like about it? And do y'all have any advice for me on how to optimize my one month sub to Sophia and time at UMPI?

My reason for UMPI over others are: terms are shorter and thus terms are cheaper (which may not equal out as cheaper compared to other online competency-based programs which provide longer terms at higher price) and I want to get a degree relevant to my desired role as quick as possible (mainly to satisfy application requirements). 

Thanks.
(08-14-2023, 07:20 PM)Marlin9276 Wrote: Hey y'all, I'm pretty new to this forum; found it thanks to the wiki page. 

I'm coming back into higher education from community college (no degree). I started the online application - haven't sent in transcripts or ACE credits - and met with an enrollment advisor today. 

I'm trying to complete as many credits for transfer into a BA of History & PoliSci with a focus on PoliSci and I'm wondering if anyone else has done, or is doing this degree. I'm going to activate my Sophia subscription and going to try to complete as many GECs as possible in a month using the UMPI Sophia Transfer Equivalent and the UMPI General Education Curriculum pages as references. 

If y'all can, could you share with me your experiences pursuing this BA and what you like and don't like about it? And do y'all have any advice for me on how to optimize my one month sub to Sophia and time at UMPI?

My reason for UMPI over others are: terms are shorter and thus terms are cheaper (which may not equal out as cheaper compared to other online competency-based programs which provide longer terms at higher price) and I want to get a degree relevant to my desired role as quick as possible (mainly to satisfy application requirements). 

Thanks.

Hey, check out my threads. I have asked a lot about this major. Also check out the class review list.

Best sophia classes to knock out are

Spanish 1 and 2
US history 1 and 2 
Topics: US history

I would save the American Govt course for UMPI's version because I have been told its a really easy one to knock out

For me its a quick history degree, it doesn't necessarily have the classes I want but it fits my schedule. There are not really any other "yourpace" type history degrees. However, there are about a million online BA history programs out there if you don't need the competency-based approach
(08-14-2023, 07:50 PM)Duneranger Wrote:
(08-14-2023, 07:20 PM)Marlin9276 Wrote: Hey y'all, I'm pretty new to this forum; found it thanks to the wiki page. 

Thanks.

Hey, check out my threads. I have asked a lot about this major. Also check out the class review list.

Best sophia classes to knock out are

Spanish 1 and 2
US history 1 and 2 
Topics: US history

I would save the American Govt course for UMPI's version because I have been told its a really easy one to knock out

For me its a quick history degree, it doesn't necessarily have the classes I want but it fits my schedule. There are not really any other "yourpace" type history degrees. However, there are about a million online BA history programs out there if you don't need the competency-based approach

Thanks for your response, I'll definitely check out your threads. I'm the same, where I don't expect too much out of this degree and mainly doing it because it's a hist/polisci competency-based degree.
@Marlin9276, Welcome to the board, good initial post... I would check the WIKI and compare your current courses you have completed to the required courses and then work on the remaining courses from Sophia.org or another provider to get a max of 90 credits for transfer.  

Apply to see where credits go, you should have your evaluation/transfer credits completed to see where you stand and what is left to complete.  Here's the WIKI with available plans so you can check them out or use as a guide: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

Last but not least... You should also create a spreadsheet to reference/track your progress, if you have any extra details to provide us, please do so by following the addendum/template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You'd need to list which courses you've already taken, so that we can tell you which requirements remain. It does no good to discuss Sophia options without knowing what you've already done (for instance, if you took French I & II in CC, then you certainly don't need to take Spanish I & II at Sophia).

So, list all of the courses you've taken:

School (don't need name, but whether it's RA or NA, semester-based or quarter-based)
Course #, full course name, number of credits, and grade

Then we can tell you what remains, and the best courses to take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 425 10 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 497 Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 859 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,713 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 700 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 714 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 241 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 236 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Do I need to retake my sophia courses for a better grade? whereismyramen 2 160 09-14-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,591 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood