Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denied Admission to UMPI
If their entire rejection is based on the single "F" grade, especially if it was a long time ago, I'd appeal the decision. This is the kind of thing that I'd expect a dean or registrar to reverse if given a valid reason to.

I'd write my request explaining any extenuating circumstances. For example, if you were sick, or had a death or illness in the family, or you were 18 and not really ready to start your education, etc... Be sure to express how committed you are to the process going forward. If you have any certifications or professional accomplishments that would reflect well on your ability to be a successful student, mention them. Assuming you've followed the formula here and have a large number of alt credits, mention them, too.

Worst that can happen is that they say no.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(Yesterday, 11:43 AM)davewill Wrote: If their entire rejection is based on the single "F" grade, especially if it was a long time ago, I'd appeal the decision. This is the kind of thing that I'd expect a dean or registrar to reverse if given a valid reason to.

I'd write my request explaining any extenuating circumstances. For example, if you were sick, or had a death or illness in the family, or you were 18 and not really ready to start your education, etc...  Be sure to express how committed you are to the process going forward. If you have any certifications or professional accomplishments that would reflect well on your ability to be a successful student, mention them. Assuming you've followed the formula here and have a large number of alt credits, mention them, too.

Worse that can happen is that they say no.

It may be worth a shot, but the U of M system and UMPI have minimum standards for transfer students. Every college does. UMPI is giving the OP a way into YourPace by attending as a non-degree seeking student. We've seen a few others have to go through this program on here and on Discord. I haven't seen them budge on this GPA requirement, but maybe it could happen.
If you were going to appeal the decision, I think it would help your case to submit any Sophia/Study.com/etc that has recent grades.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
At accreditation time, schools are judged on how successful their students are. Having someone attempt two courses as a non-degree student doesn't affect their graduation rate. We haven't been told what the prior GPA is and note that the school is not regionally accredited. Add to that a certain ability at written English as shown by 11 spelling, capitalization and punctuation errors in 2 1/2 lines of type. Take the gift.
The email you received, the way I read it, does NOT suggest that taking courses as a non-degree student will necessarily guarantee or even increase your chances of getting admitted. It merely informs you that this is what they offer you at that point. We can only speculate why that is the case. If you are convinced that this decision is somehow unfair, I think the appeal option is more appropriate. With how they worded that email, signing up as a non-degree student does not seem very encouraging. I would explore other schools.

It seems strange and ironic to me what you have included in your signature. Namely, the "BAS in MIS,BA,PM | University of Maine @ Presque Isle (estimated graduation Fall 25)".
(Yesterday, 04:40 PM)Chankosumo Wrote: The email you received, the way I read it, does NOT suggest that taking courses as a non-degree student will necessarily guarantee or even increase your chances of getting admitted. It merely informs you that this is what they offer you at that point. We can only speculate why that is the case. If you are convinced that this decision is somehow unfair, I think the appeal option is more appropriate. With how they worded that email, signing up as a non-degree student does not seem very encouraging. I would explore other schools.

It seems strange and ironic to me what you have included in your signature. Namely, the "BAS in MIS,BA,PM | University of Maine @ Presque Isle (estimated graduation Fall 25)".

We have had other students receive the same email and go on to take the 2 courses as a non-degree seeking student who were admitted after they proved themselves.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 809 58 minutes ago
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,479 4 hours ago
Last Post: psychcs
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 4 446 Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 696 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 223 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 216 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,543 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  How to send Duolingo results to UMPI Solden81 4 293 09-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 19 1,302 09-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 160 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts