Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 craziest exam cheating ways caught by Examity
This was my first time using Examity's online proctoring service, so I did a search and came across this:
The top 5 craziest online cheating incidents - eCampus News

My favorite is "Someone just outside the room tried to cough Morse code answers"
hilarious
Nixi Wrote:This was my first time using Examity's online proctoring service, so I did a search and came across this:

My favorite is "Someone just outside the room tried to cough Morse code answers"
hilarious

:iagree: Ouch, those are insane... what were they thinking?!
For me, I'm going for the open book exams from PF/SL all the way!
If proctored, I'll just try extra hard to get the course passed before the final.
Note to self: Take the easy courses like SL
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Nixi Wrote:This was my first time using Examity's online proctoring service, so I did a search and came across this:

hilarious

Thumbs up for finding someone who knows Morse Code. Double thumbs up for knowing it yourself.

I like Mom under the desk lol. That's funny!

I think about things like this, because I taught in a B&M school for so long- but you know, there are always people who cheat, you just have to accept that. I can tell you that doing 99% of my work on a computer, it's simply a different skill set for *me than if I were doing calculations without a calculator or having to memorize something away from an internet connection. Just like with Morse Code, it's possible that needing to store everything in your brain when it's a mouse click away is also becoming unnecessary. I mean really, even having a PERFECT pager or VHS tape at this point is irrelevant.
cookderosa Wrote:it's possible that needing to store everything in your brain when it's a mouse click away is also becoming unnecessary.

I think it's more than possible, it's just a fact these days. Being able to know how to search efficiently is probably the most important "life skill" people living in modern societies need to have. I remember back when I was in grade school, the standard response to "why can't I use a calculator" was "what if you need to solve a problem like this some day and you don't have a calculator."

It made a certain amount of sense back then. Nobody carried a calculator with them everywhere, feature phones hadn't yet been invented (let alone smartphones), and the Internet wasn't a "thing" that the average person had any clue about.

Today though, it's a ludicrous response.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:I think it's more than possible, it's just a fact these days. Being able to know how to search efficiently is probably the most important "life skill" people living in modern societies need to have. I remember back when I was in grade school, the standard response to "why can't I use a calculator" was "what if you need to solve a problem like this some day and you don't have a calculator."

It made a certain amount of sense back then. Nobody carried a calculator with them everywhere, feature phones hadn't yet been invented (let alone smartphones), and the Internet wasn't a "thing" that the average person had any clue about.

I agree with all of this, but I'd say even back then, it was kind of a dumb response. In what situation other than an academic setting would you "need" to solve a problem like this where you wouldn't be allowed to use all the tools necessary? If your job involves calculations, no employer will prevent you from using a calculator, even back when we didn't all have one in our pockets. They were still easily obtained. I'm sure every office had plenty back then.

No one's going to hold a gun to your head and be like "factor this binomial, if you pull out a calculator it's over."
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
alzee Wrote:I think it's more than possible, it's just a fact these days. Being able to know how to search efficiently is probably the most important "life skill" people living in modern societies need to have. I remember back when I was in grade school, the standard response to "why can't I use a calculator" was "what if you need to solve a problem like this some day and you don't have a calculator."

I disagree. Teacher's responses are at an attempt to get at the level of a grade school student who would not understand practical answers, like developing logic, critical thinking, methodical problem solving, grasping abstract concepts, understanding how numbers interact and the "why"/, etc., etc., etc.

You can have the most advanced calculator in the world, but if you don't understand what operations you are supposed to be performing, its useless. A simple anecdote is how many people I know who cannot figure simple things like applying store discounts. They have trouble on a calculator, I can ballpark it in my head within a few cents. I'm not a genius, but actually learning the concepts in my head helped.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I understand why these skills need to be taught, I simply agree with alzee that the response of "what if you don't have a calculator" is stupid and kids can see through it. Explaining it to them honestly, such as how your reply explains it, would make more sense to students and would more likely lead to kids putting in the effort. it certainly would have motivated me, more so then a half-hearted excuse.

(I also agree with alzee that "Being able to know how to search efficiently is probably the most important 'life skill' people living in modern societies need to have," even if other foundational skills are still worth learning.)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
This does bring up something that has always bothered me around here; the notion some people have that just because a final is not proctored, it is all right to just Google all the answers. I would still call that cheating.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Regarding the calculator example, I would say this: If having the calculator is not going to help you if you don't have the skills to use it properly (which I agree with), then there is no point at all in disallowing them. That is the point I was making and what I think you're saying, davewill. Let everyone use their calculators at all levels of education.

davewill Wrote:This does bring up something that has always bothered me around here; the notion some people have that just because a final is not proctored, it is all right to just Google all the answers. I would still call that cheating.

I haven't seen/heard this argument myself (where are these non-proctored finals, anyway?!) and while I agree with you that it absolutely is cheating, I would lump it in with the calculator -- knowing how to search for an answer is arguably a more important skill than memorizing a bunch of flash cards just to forget them within days of taking your exam.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)

As a homeschool parent, I struggle with this on a daily (hourly?) basis. My kids ask me all the time why they can't use their calculators (or one of their other zillion electronic devices). I am sticking hard by the old fashioned "because I said so" but ate my words yesterday. My 11th grader is just registered for next year's classes, he's taking a real estate course/licensure exam. He told me he's pretty sure that his clients would appreciate him using a calculator instead of relying on his scratch pad long division. I agree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 3 1,214 09-23-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,825 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 829 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
Question Ways to Use ChatGPT for Language Learning? LevelUP 1 675 01-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 2,393 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  5 Ways You Can Be Discriminated Against Based on Your College Choices LevelUP 0 897 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 1,093 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Shocked College Student Stunned by Professor’s ‘Ridiculous’ Cheating Accusation! LevelUP 14 3,548 04-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: davewill
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,376 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  The World's Hardest Exam Alpha 4 1,633 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Alpha