Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
That just seems crappy once you realize how big of a PITA shmoop courses are. You earn those credits for sure.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

[-] The following 3 users Like icampy's post:
  • leland.kirk, Life Long Learning, scout2family
(05-04-2018, 04:09 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: I'm curious... what is the process for getting a transcript from Shmoop and sending it to TESU? It would be nice to know a rough drop-dead date for finishing what I can, and getting a transcript in by the 30th.

You don't get transcript from Shmoop. You request approval through your ACE account. After Shmoop approves it, you order an ACE transcript to TESU. I would allow at least 4-6 days for approval to be safe, but they would probably approve within 1-3 days.

(05-04-2018, 04:36 PM)Ideas Wrote: You don't get transcript from Shmoop. You request approval through your ACE account. After Shmoop approves it, you order an ACE transcript to TESU. I would allow at least 4-6 days for approval to be safe, but they would probably approve within 1-3 days.

Thanks! That's helpful.
(05-04-2018, 04:00 PM)scout2family Wrote: My husband and I both have submitted ACE transcripts that have 30+ credits of Shmoop on April 2nd. I inquired a few days ago, when to expect the credit to be applied. The response was "you're not enrolled yet, and we only do 2 free evaluations but I will approve this evaluation, but you need to enroll." I wanted to see where everything would be applied and then finally enroll- now I'm afraid to, if this is the norm for TESU (not taking Shmoop!?). We were both planning on graduating December, but this may have set us back quite a bit, not only in time but money.

It sounds like you are good because the person approved the evaluation.

There is no norm when it comes to Shmoop. This is first sudden announcement regarding Shmoop. But TESU has downgraded Study.com courses last year without a lot of notice.

Well, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, let's just wait and see how it plays out. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes. TESU is doing us a favor by allowing us to have ANY time to finish the courses; I know it's inconvenient but that's life. We don't have a "right" to anything as far as TESU is concerned, so if you've got something you're trying to finish, your time would probably be best utilized over at Shmoop finishing it up.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 2 users Like MSK9's post:
  • indigoshuffle, nnahh
I transferred from Excelsior to TESU because I wanted to do the BA English with Shmoop courses. I had already finished 3 Shmoop English classes and transferred them to TESU. I am currently in the long process of taking Shmoop Lit in the Media, and Modernist lit. I am 75% of the way through both.
I had absolutely no clue you could pre approve external courses on your academic eval at TESU, otherwise I would have added them as soon as I started at TESU. Is it completely hopeless for me to transfer these in?
If so I guess I have wasted the past month and $87 on these last two Shmoop classes. It’s nice how TESU waited until 4pm on a Friday to send out these emails.
(05-04-2018, 05:05 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Well, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, let's just wait and see how it plays out. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes. TESU is doing us a favor by allowing us to have ANY time to finish the courses; I know it's inconvenient but that's life. We don't have a "right" to anything as far as TESU is concerned, so if you've got something you're trying to finish, your time would probably be best utilized over at Shmoop finishing it up.

If we are entitled to nothing else, we are entitled to the approved course list that it was promised they would abide by, originally for that first year of enrollment. At the very least, if you have had course approved and planned into your degree, there should be more time allowed than a month to send in transcripts. The whole point of applying, planning a degree and getting it approved, and then enrolling, is to lock in what they will accept for your degree. If that's not being honored, that's a problem. We are entitled to whatever's left of our year of approval, but even a few months more than what they're giving would be better than this.
(05-04-2018, 04:00 PM)scout2family Wrote: My husband and I both have submitted ACE transcripts that have 30+ credits of Shmoop on April 2nd. I inquired a few days ago, when to expect the credit to be applied. The response was "you're not enrolled yet, and we only do 2 free evaluations but I will approve this evaluation, but you need to enroll." I wanted to see where everything would be applied and then finally enroll- now I'm afraid to, if this is the norm for TESU (not taking Shmoop!?). We were both planning on graduating December, but this may have set us back quite a bit, not only in time but money.

Evaluation is based on application - are you saying that you have not paid the application fees? They won't give you an unofficial evaluation until you have applied (paid the application fee, then send transcripts).

(05-04-2018, 04:09 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:54 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I submitted an ace transcript to them on 4/6/18 with an additional 12 credits from shmoop. I assume the eval would have been completed by next week. Do you guys think they’ll still include those credits? I don’t necessarily need them but it would be nice to have them as I spent time/money/energy on those courses. Does the unproctored nature of the courses have anything to do with this suspension of shmoop credits?

I'm curious... what is the process for getting a transcript from Shmoop and sending it to TESU? It would be nice to know a rough drop-dead date for finishing what I can, and getting a transcript in by the 30th.

You don't get a transcript from Shmoop, you add them to ACE - then you send the ACE transcript to TESU. Note this transcript shows the date you completed the courses, so I would avoid starting anything new - but if you already have completed the courses have them added to ACE and send them ASAP.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(05-04-2018, 05:05 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Well, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, let's just wait and see how it plays out. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes. TESU is doing us a favor by allowing us to have ANY time to finish the courses; I know it's inconvenient but that's life. We don't have a "right" to anything as far as TESU is concerned, so if you've got something you're trying to finish, your time would probably be best utilized over at Shmoop finishing it up.
I would respectfully disagree. As students, we have a "right" to have our approved degree plans honored. Otherwise, it's a pointless exercise. We also have a right to appeal any policies which we do not agree with, as per TESU's appeals and waivers policy. And if TESU feel that its students -- who are spending thousands of dollars for degrees -- don't have a right to anything, then there's a much bigger problem here than just Shmoop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jcasillas74's post:
  • a2jc4life
(05-04-2018, 05:32 PM)allvia Wrote:

Evaluation is based on application - are you saying that you have not paid the application fees? They won't give you an unofficial evaluation until you have applied (paid the application fee, then send transcripts).

You only get 2 free evaluations after paying your application fee (though they don't let you specify when you want the evals done, so in my case they did them back to back and only got 25% of my credits since all the transcripts hadn't yet arrived). You can only get additional evaluations and course planning after registering for a course/TECEP (or paying tuition) to officially enroll.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 180 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,757 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 372 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,170 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42