Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree
Not sure where you're getting $1000 for those TESU courses. Out of state, per credit tuition is $545 per credit or $1635 per course. Full time flate rate term is $4299 or about $860 per course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-21-2023, 02:01 PM)avi_learning Wrote: A few quick clarifications:
I read somewhere for the 15 credits in one term I need to have over 100 credits already and have completed the majority of my upper level courses. Is this correct?
And does the Artificial Intelligence course on Study.com transfer credits for the AI course?
Lastly should I verify I can transfer all these in with the academic advisor at Thomas Edison?

@avi_learning, How are you getting the exams from Strayer for $20? Study.com is $235 for two courses, $70/extra if you finish in a month. I would skip Coopersmith and take that at Sophia.org or Study.com instead for Calculus I...

1) Yes, get all your Sophia.org/Study.com, TECEPs completed before doing the 15 credit flat rate.
2) No, the Study.com AI course doesn't come in at all, there are a few courses that aren't transferable.
3) No. I'd skip the advisor step until a senior member or moderator tells you to get 'something' done.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-21-2023, 05:30 PM)davewill Wrote: Not sure where you're getting $1000 for those TESU courses. Out of state, per credit tuition is $545 per credit or $1635 per course. Full time flate rate term is $4299 or about $860 per course.

My mistake, I thought the full time rate was closer to $5000, but yes, I meant $860 per course for those.

Thanks

(08-21-2023, 06:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 02:01 PM)avi_learning Wrote: A few quick clarifications:
I read somewhere for the 15 credits in one term I need to have over 100 credits already and have completed the majority of my upper level courses. Is this correct?
And does the Artificial Intelligence course on Study.com transfer credits for the AI course?
Lastly should I verify I can transfer all these in with the academic advisor at Thomas Edison?

@avi_learning, How are you getting the exams from Strayer for $20?  Study.com is $235 for two courses, $70/extra if you finish in a month. I would skip Coopersmith and take that at Sophia.org or Study.com instead for Calculus I...

1) Yes, get all your Sophia.org/Study.com, TECEPs completed before doing the 15 credit flat rate.
2) No, the Study.com AI course doesn't come in at all, there are a few courses that aren't transferable.
3) No. I'd skip the advisor step until a senior member or moderator tells you to get 'something' done.

I was hoping to take the strayer challenge exams as detailed on this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/St...University. Hopefully I won't have to study any courses through them and can just take the exams. Even if I do have to take a course as well, this still seems to be my cheapest option. Alternatively I'll try and take the intro to programming and the calculus exams through ASU, and juggle around the remaining courses to fit, though this will be a bit more expensive.

I was also looking into college of DuPage for the operating systems course. Do you recommend that? The truth is I'm pretty scared about passing the Networking TCEP, I've heard its really difficult, so I may have to come onto these other resources anyway.

Thanks again for all your time.
(08-22-2023, 07:40 AM)avi_learning Wrote: I was hoping to take the strayer challenge exams as detailed on this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/St...University. Hopefully I won't have to study any courses through them and can just take the exams. Even if I do have to take a course as well, this still seems to be my cheapest option. Alternatively I'll try and take the intro to programming and the calculus exams through ASU, and juggle around the remaining courses to fit, though this will be a bit more expensive.

I was also looking into college of DuPage for the operating systems course. Do you recommend that?

If you go down to the bottom of that page, you'll see : This page was last edited on 31 December 2020

IIRC, you can't get a Strayer Challenge Exam on a transcript by itself - you would have to actually take a regular course there first. Back when they had MANY exams, esp UL, and it was harder to find alt-credit for them, it may have been worth doing.  My husband was considering it, and he had tuition reimbursement at work, so they would have paid $1500 for the course and then the exams, so it would have been a lot of bang for the buck.  But now, they don't offer much that can't be found elsewhere, especially UL, so it would not really be worth doing (taking a $1500 course and then taking exams). 

We should probably put a big note at the top of this page on the wiki.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • avi_learning
(08-22-2023, 08:08 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 07:40 AM)avi_learning Wrote: I was hoping to take the strayer challenge exams as detailed on this page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/St...University. Hopefully I won't have to study any courses through them and can just take the exams. Even if I do have to take a course as well, this still seems to be my cheapest option. Alternatively I'll try and take the intro to programming and the calculus exams through ASU, and juggle around the remaining courses to fit, though this will be a bit more expensive.

I was also looking into college of DuPage for the operating systems course. Do you recommend that?

If you go down to the bottom of that page, you'll see : This page was last edited on 31 December 2020

IIRC, you can't get a Strayer Challenge Exam on a transcript by itself - you would have to actually take a regular course there first. Back when they had MANY exams, esp UL, and it was harder to find alt-credit for them, it may have been worth doing.  My husband was considering it, and he had tuition reimbursement at work, so they would have paid $1500 for the course and then the exams, so it would have been a lot of bang for the buck.  But now, they don't offer much that can't be found elsewhere, especially UL, so it would not really be worth doing (taking a $1500 course and then taking exams). 

We should probably put a bit note on this page on the wiki.

Ahhh, that's a shame. I guess I'll have to try and get the credit through ASU and maybe college of DuPage. Do you or anyone else have experience with these?

Thanks
@avi... Tuition at Strayer is relatively expensive at $1480 per course (approximately $493 per semester credit). You have to take a course from them before they allow you to have any chance at the challenge exams...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-22-2023, 10:34 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @avi...  Tuition at Strayer is relatively expensive at $1480 per course (approximately $493 per semester credit).  You have to take a course from them before they allow you to have any chance at the challenge exams...

Yes, I didn't realize I had to enroll to take the challenge exams. It may be my cheapest option though, if I get 1 course for 1480 and take 2 challenge exams, although I don't know if they have 3 relevant courses for my degree. That or a mixture of ASU and college of DuPage. I guess I'll see how my TECEPS go and take it away from there.
Regarding Strayer Challenge Exams, do not treat those as options for transfer credit. I managed to get a handful of them transferred to TESU after extensive appeals and manual workarounds on both ends. Most of the Strayer Challenge Exams I passed never made it on to my Strayer transcript, and the ones that did weren't listed in a way that TESU accepted. Hopefully some day I'll win my fight to get everything transferred.
Strayer Challenge Exams only really work for Strayer students applying those credits to a Strayer degree. If you don't have an active Strayer degree program with room to accept the exam credit, they aren't likely to get transcripted. Even if credits do get listed, Strayer typically lists Challenge Exams under external transfer credits, not credits earned at Strayer.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • avi_learning
(08-22-2023, 01:44 PM)avi_learning Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 10:34 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @avi...  Tuition at Strayer is relatively expensive at $1480 per course (approximately $493 per semester credit).  You have to take a course from them before they allow you to have any chance at the challenge exams...

Yes, I didn't realize I had to enroll to take the challenge exams. It may be my cheapest option though, if I get 1 course for 1480 and take 2 challenge exams, although I don't know if they have 3 relevant courses for my degree. That or a mixture of ASU and college of DuPage. I guess I'll see how my TECEPS go and take it away from there.

It is certainly not your cheapest option. People have given you cheaper alternatives and you have ignored them. The only credits you need from TESU are 15, including the capstone. For this you can take the flat rate term.

The information lit requirement for BACS can be done via EdX. Apply for EdX financial aid. Most people get it if they write a convincing enough plea. 

Yes, you need 15 more RA credits after the TESU ones for a total of 30. But they can come from anywhere, including the free Finnish universities mentioned multiple times by others in this thread. These credits do not have to be inside the AOS either, they can go in the electives. The electives that are currently showing on your transcript will simply be moved off.

Pretty much the whole Comp Sci AOS can be done via Study.com. I think you may have also misunderstood about the AOS electives. The advisor told you which ones TESU offers online. You do not *have* to take them. You do not need to go searching for those specific courses at other universities.

There are discount codes for study.com all the time that get it under 200 a month for the college accelerator. That includes 2 exams. You can pay 70 bucks to add more.
[-] The following 2 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • avi_learning, Pikachu
(08-23-2023, 05:30 AM)sarahmac Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 01:44 PM)avi_learning Wrote:

It is certainly not your cheapest option. People have given you cheaper alternatives and you have ignored them. The only credits you need from TESU are 15, including the capstone. For this you can take the flat rate term.

The information lit requirement for BACS can be done via EdX. Apply for EdX financial aid. Most people get it if they write a convincing enough plea. 

Yes, you need 15 more RA credits after the TESU ones for a total of 30. But they can come from anywhere, including the free Finnish universities mentioned multiple times by others in this thread. These credits do not have to be inside the AOS either, they can go in the electives. The electives that are currently showing on your transcript will simply be moved off.

Pretty much the whole Comp Sci AOS can be done via Study.com. I think you may have also misunderstood about the AOS electives. The advisor told you which ones TESU offers online. You do not *have* to take them. You do not need to go searching for those specific courses at other universities.

There are discount codes for study.com all the time that get it under 200 a month for the college accelerator. That includes 2 exams. You can pay 70 bucks to add more.

Wow, this was helpful, thank you. I wasn't ignoring earlier advice, I misunderstood what someone said, and assumed that I can't move the electives that are currently on my transcript off by replacing them. So I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for. Thank you for the clarification.

As I now understand it, the best course of action for me to take is a combination of TECEPS and Finnish courses (probably XAMK) for 15 credits. (Or just all of them through XAMK, and forget the TECEPS.) Then I can take information literacy with edx (applying for financial aid.) After this, I can take study.com until I have 15 credits left, and then do a flat rate term. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

And you're right, I also misunderstood about AOS electives. I'm still slightly unclear, if I don't take a course that equates with one of the ones that Thomas Edison offers online, how will I know if it will be accepted? And which courses do you recommend to be taken for the 15 credit term?

I'm sorry if I'm being slow here. I really do appreciate all the help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 253 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 748 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 886 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  BA Computer Science Questions puga 18 1,412 08-16-2024, 11:23 PM
  TESU AAS Degree, Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies newdegree 2 347 08-13-2024, 06:53 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science / AAS Applied Computer Studies newdegree 15 1,049 07-26-2024, 11:31 AM
  Comp sci Degree [UK] asthewindblows 10 747 07-21-2024, 05:39 PM
  Upper level Computer Science Credits TESU BA CS newdegree 6 701 07-18-2024, 06:24 PM
  How to register / sign up for a specific degree at TESU? CreativeLearner 8 485 07-17-2024, 03:04 PM
  Urgent Help Needed: Am I Missing Out on a Double Degree or Associate Degree at TESU? User7364 15 1,413 07-04-2024, 02:58 PM