Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree
(08-23-2023, 08:54 AM)avi_learning Wrote: Wow, this was helpful, thank you. I wasn't ignoring earlier advice, I misunderstood what someone said, and assumed that I can't move the electives that are currently on my transcript off by replacing them. So I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for. Thank you for the clarification.

As I now understand it, the best course of action for me to take is a combination of TECEPS and Finnish courses (probably XAMK) for 15 credits. (Or just all of them through XAMK, and forget the TECEPS.) Then I can take information literacy with edx (applying for financial aid.) After this, I can take study.com until I have 15 credits left, and then do a flat rate term. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

And you're right, I also misunderstood about AOS electives. I'm still slightly unclear, if I don't take a course that equates with one of the ones that Thomas Edison offers online, how will I know if it will be accepted? And which courses do you recommend to be taken for the 15 credit term?

I'm sorry if I'm being slow here. I really do appreciate all the help.

For AoS Electives, and using XAMK credits, your best bet is to just ask here.  Lots of people have taken courses and transferred them in, so they'll be able to tell you what will work.

For the 15cr term, most people doing the BACS opt for the Capstone (obviously) and an UL course in the AoS - and then 3 "easy" (easy for you) courses including 1 or 2 e-Packs if possible.  CIS-1070: Computer Concepts & Applications is a given - that's going to be your best option for an e-Pack.  Day 1 of the term, take the quizzes if you want to prep, and then take the final exam as soon as you can.  You're done with 1 course right away.  I think many also do the Cornerstone instead of the edX option just because they're paying for a term, you may as well get a grade for that course, and you can also finish early IIRC.  There are 3 UL courses that are "popular" in the major: Software Engineering, Computer Architecture, and Artificial Intelligence.  SE can be done as a LL option through SDC, and then UL through Saylor; CA can be done as UL through SDC.  So AI is the only one you can't find cheaply elsewhere.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • avi_learning
(08-23-2023, 08:54 AM)avi_learning Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 05:30 AM)sarahmac Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 01:44 PM)avi_learning Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 10:34 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @avi...  Tuition at Strayer is relatively expensive at $1480 per course (approximately $493 per semester credit).  You have to take a course from them before they allow you to have any chance at the challenge exams...

Yes, I didn't realize I had to enroll to take the challenge exams. It may be my cheapest option though, if I get 1 course for 1480 and take 2 challenge exams, although I don't know if they have 3 relevant courses for my degree. That or a mixture of ASU and college of DuPage. I guess I'll see how my TECEPS go and take it away from there.

It is certainly not your cheapest option. People have given you cheaper alternatives and you have ignored them. The only credits you need from TESU are 15, including the capstone. For this you can take the flat rate term.

The information lit requirement for BACS can be done via EdX. Apply for EdX financial aid. Most people get it if they write a convincing enough plea. 

Yes, you need 15 more RA credits after the TESU ones for a total of 30. But they can come from anywhere, including the free Finnish universities mentioned multiple times by others in this thread. These credits do not have to be inside the AOS either, they can go in the electives. The electives that are currently showing on your transcript will simply be moved off.

Pretty much the whole Comp Sci AOS can be done via Study.com. I think you may have also misunderstood about the AOS electives. The advisor told you which ones TESU offers online. You do not *have* to take them. You do not need to go searching for those specific courses at other universities.

There are discount codes for study.com all the time that get it under 200 a month for the college accelerator. That includes 2 exams. You can pay 70 bucks to add more.

Wow, this was helpful, thank you. I wasn't ignoring earlier advice, I misunderstood what someone said, and assumed that I can't move the electives that are currently on my transcript off by replacing them. So I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for. Thank you for the clarification.

As I now understand it, the best course of action for me to take is a combination of TECEPS and Finnish courses (probably XAMK) for 15 credits. (Or just all of them through XAMK, and forget the TECEPS.) Then I can take information literacy with edx (applying for financial aid.) After this, I can take study.com until I have 15 credits left, and then do a flat rate term. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

And you're right, I also misunderstood about AOS electives. I'm still slightly unclear, if I don't take a course that equates with one of the ones that Thomas Edison offers online, how will I know if it will be accepted? And which courses do you recommend to be taken for the 15 credit term?

"I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for"

This was only for TECEPS because they're currently free. TESU won't let you take them for free if they don't fit in an empty slot. Otherwise, go for it. Bring in RA and bump out other things. Heck, pay 150 bucks to take a TECEP when they're no longer free if you like.

"If I don't take a course that equates with one of the ones that Thomas Edison offers online, how will I know if it will be accepted?"

Because TESU have transfer agreements and tell you. See here.

Based on the link above, here is the list of exams for the AOS core that you could take on SDC. Obviously, you could also do one or two in the 5 class (15 cr) flat rate term, or take them elsewhere. But Calc and Discrete Math are easy on SDC. So.

Data Structures & Algorithms
Calculus I
Discrete Mathematics
Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Architecture (UL)

Note that SDC Computer Architecture is Upper Level. You need 18 UL credits in the AOS in *total*. With Computer Architecture and the capstone both being UL, only 12 of the 18 AOS Electives would need to be UL, or four "classes".

So which 6 AOS Electives can you do? 

Go to that link above, type in computer science. You can see that Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, and Management Information Systems are all UL. Lots of lower level. There are cheaper places than SDC to get lower level credit in particular, but I think you can probably start to see here how easy it is to use SDC to fill this out.

Should you do any of the AOS Electives at TESU?

Maybe. Software Engineering is supposed to be easy and it is UL. If you are going to do a flat rate term I would do Software Engineering since it ticks 1 of 4 UL AOS Electives. The capstone and that take care of 2 of the 5 flat rate term classes.

I said there are other places than SDC to get lower level credit, what are those?

One of the Coursera certificates here. Apply for Financial Aid to get one of the certs free, or chance signing up for The American Dream Academy for free access (supposed to be US resident, but...). There are also other EdX options if you get the EdX financial aid. Including Data Structures & Algorithms which you are currently missing from the core.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • avi_learning
(08-23-2023, 10:18 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 08:54 AM)avi_learning Wrote: Wow, this was helpful, thank you. I wasn't ignoring earlier advice, I misunderstood what someone said, and assumed that I can't move the electives that are currently on my transcript off by replacing them. So I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for. Thank you for the clarification.

For AoS Electives, and using XAMK credits, your best bet is to just ask here.  Lots of people have taken courses and transferred them in, so they'll be able to tell you what will work.

For the 15cr term, most people doing the BACS opt for the Capstone (obviously) and an UL course in the AoS - and then 3 "easy" (easy for you) courses including 1 or 2 e-Packs if possible.  CIS-1070: Computer Concepts & Applications is a given - that's going to be your best option for an e-Pack.  Day 1 of the term, take the quizzes if you want to prep, and then take the final exam as soon as you can.  You're done with 1 course right away.  I think many also do the Cornerstone instead of the edX option just because they're paying for a term, you may as well get a grade for that course, and you can also finish early IIRC.  There are 3 UL courses that are "popular" in the major: Software Engineering, Computer Architecture, and Artificial Intelligence.  SE can be done as a LL option through SDC, and then UL through Saylor; CA can be done as UL through SDC.  So AI is the only one you can't find cheaply elsewhere.
Thank you so much for your time.

I think I saw on this forum that the XAMK game development for 35 ECTS can be successfully transferred in? I just want to check that before I take some of its modules. I also saw its recommended to take 1 other course with it, so I can get onto peppi? Any recommendations for that would be welcome.

Hopefully I'll post my updated plan and ask you guys what you think. I know I'm being repetitious but better safe than sorry.

I really do appreciate all the help.

(08-23-2023, 10:18 AM)sarahmac Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 08:54 AM)avi_learning Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 05:30 AM)sarahmac Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 01:44 PM)avi_learning Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 10:34 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @avi...  Tuition at Strayer is relatively expensive at $1480 per course (approximately $493 per semester credit).  You have to take a course from them before they allow you to have any chance at the challenge exams...

Yes, I didn't realize I had to enroll to take the challenge exams. It may be my cheapest option though, if I get 1 course for 1480 and take 2 challenge exams, although I don't know if they have 3 relevant courses for my degree. That or a mixture of ASU and college of DuPage. I guess I'll see how my TECEPS go and take it away from there.

It is certainly not your cheapest option. People have given you cheaper alternatives and you have ignored them. The only credits you need from TESU are 15, including the capstone. For this you can take the flat rate term.

The information lit requirement for BACS can be done via EdX. Apply for EdX financial aid. Most people get it if they write a convincing enough plea. 

Yes, you need 15 more RA credits after the TESU ones for a total of 30. But they can come from anywhere, including the free Finnish universities mentioned multiple times by others in this thread. These credits do not have to be inside the AOS either, they can go in the electives. The electives that are currently showing on your transcript will simply be moved off.

Pretty much the whole Comp Sci AOS can be done via Study.com. I think you may have also misunderstood about the AOS electives. The advisor told you which ones TESU offers online. You do not *have* to take them. You do not need to go searching for those specific courses at other universities.

There are discount codes for study.com all the time that get it under 200 a month for the college accelerator. That includes 2 exams. You can pay 70 bucks to add more.

Wow, this was helpful, thank you. I wasn't ignoring earlier advice, I misunderstood what someone said, and assumed that I can't move the electives that are currently on my transcript off by replacing them. So I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for. Thank you for the clarification.

"I thought I needed to get the remaining RA credits in areas I hadn't yet transferred credits in for"

This was only for TECEPS because they're currently free. TESU won't let you take them for free if they don't fit in an empty slot. Otherwise, go for it. Bring in RA and bump out other things. Heck, pay 150 bucks to take a TECEP when they're no longer free if you like.

"If I don't take a course that equates with one of the ones that Thomas Edison offers online, how will I know if it will be accepted?"

Because TESU have transfer agreements and tell you. See here.

Based on the link above, here is the list of exams for the AOS core that you could take on SDC. Obviously, you could also do one or two in the 5 class (15 cr) flat rate term, or take them elsewhere. But Calc and Discrete Math are easy on SDC. So.

Data Structures & Algorithms
Calculus I
Discrete Mathematics
Introduction to Operating Systems
Computer Architecture (UL)

Note that SDC Computer Architecture is Upper Level. You need 18 UL credits in the AOS in *total*. With Computer Architecture and the capstone both being UL, only 12 of the 18 AOS Electives would need to be UL, or four "classes".

So which 6 AOS Electives can you do? 

Go to
Thank you . This is incredibly helpful and really cleared up my confusion.
XAMK needs to be evaluated by ACEI before TESU will accept it. But, yes, you can at least use those courses for electives.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • avi_learning
@avi_learning, you want to maximize your TECEP plus the XAMK and/or Metropolia courses the best you can. The TECEPs are already RA and these Finnish credits will be RA equivalent, thus the only ones you need to take at TESU are the 15 credits for residency purposes. As again, review the WIKI for LevelUP and Rachel83AZ's guides to mix/match class options and create a spreadsheet. Once you're done with the spreadsheet, place it into your google/one drive and make it viewable (not editable), link us to the file and we'll advise any changes...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • avi_learning
Hi all,

I've uploaded a link of what I reckon my best route is. But given my record, I'm likely wrong, so I'd appreciate feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kSbRG1o...sp=sharing

A few quick points:
  • I probably won't go for the financial aid at edx, and instead will include it in the full term
  • I may like to specialize in AI so I chose it as an UL course through Thomas Edison
  • I have registered for the TECEPS (back when they were free)

And a few quick questions:

1. I want to clarify that if I have to take 6 UL courses, I can only do a couple of them in my flat term (i.e. I can't do software engineering) because I need to have have completed the majority of UL courses before doing that term
  2. If I fail the networking TECEP (I've heard its very hard) what UL course can I take instead (assuming point 1. is true)?
  3. Lastly, I'm strongly considering to try and take a masters afterwards (in AI or data science), at the University of Austin Texas or Georgia Tech or the like. Do you think this degree route will be enough? Is there anything I can do here to me, even if it is a bit more expensive? I'm also very happy to do certificates and the like to help my chances.

Thank you all so much for your time.

p.s. I spelled XAMK wrong...
avi_learning Wrote:And a few quick questions:
  1. I want to clarify that if I have to take 6 UL courses, I can only do a couple of them in my flat term (i.e. I can't do software engineering) because I need to have have completed the majority of UL courses before doing that term
  2. If I fail the networking TECEP (I've heard its very hard) what UL course can I take instead (assuming point 1. is true)?
  3. Lastly, I'm strongly considering to try and take a masters afterwards (in AI or data science), at the University of Austin Texas or Georgia Tech or the like. Do you think this degree route will be enough? Is there anything I can do here to me, even if it is a bit more expensive? I'm also very happy to do certificates and the like to help my chances.

1.  You need 6 UL total in the AOS, you can do the cornerstone and capstone, along with courses you've got in the spreadsheet.  I would switch some courses around though to maximize the transfer and course load to ease things a little.
2.  You should take the Software Engineering as recommend on the WIKI, it's an easier course and adds to your UL/RA and residency requirements.  This is what I mentioned in my answer to point #1.
3.  Not enough info, you did not do the addendum/template, we don't know your background, commitments, study habits, etc.  In short, for UT it's a flat no due to requirements.  GT, you've got a 50/50 as they aren't that selective with the requirements.  Plenty of other inexpensive public/state institutions I mentioned in the grad subforum.

(08-27-2023, 10:09 AM)avi_learning Wrote: Hi all,

I've uploaded a link of what I reckon my best route is. But given my record, I'm likely wrong, so I'd appreciate feedback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kSbRG1o...sp=sharing

A few quick points:
  • I probably won't go for the financial aid at edx, and instead will include it in the full term
  • I may like to specialize in AI so I chose it as an UL course through Thomas Edison
  • I have registered for the TECEPS (back when they were free)

And a few quick questions:

Thank you all so much for your time.

p.s. I spelled XAMK wrong...

The link I showed you to use before shows that Study.com's Software Engineering is Lower Level. Yet you have marked it UL in your spreadsheet. 

The TESU class Software Engineering is UL. It is very easy. I highly recommend taking it in the flatrate term, and taking that Python class somewhere else.
(08-27-2023, 12:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

1.  You need 6 UL total in the AOS, you can do the cornerstone and capstone, along with courses you've got in the spreadsheet.  I would switch some courses around though to maximize the transfer and course load to ease things a little.
2.  You should take the Software Engineering as recommend on the WIKI, it's an easier course and adds to your UL/RA and residency requirements.  This is what I mentioned in my answer to point #1.
3.  Not enough info, you did not do the addendum/template, we don't know your background, commitments, study habits, etc.  In short, for UT it's a flat no due to requirements.  GT, you've got a 50/50 as they aren't that selective with the requirements.  Plenty of other inexpensive public/state institutions I mentioned in the grad subforum.
Would you mind giving a link to your grad subforum with those school names. Thank you

(08-27-2023, 12:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

Would you mind giving a link to your grad subforum with those school names. Thank you
(08-27-2023, 06:24 PM)evenFair23 Wrote: Would you mind giving a link to your grad subforum with those school names. Thank you

Sure thing... You can review these links from this post and for extra review, read the entire thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid390874

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 253 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 746 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 886 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  BA Computer Science Questions puga 18 1,411 08-16-2024, 11:23 PM
  TESU AAS Degree, Environmental, Safety, and Security Technologies newdegree 2 347 08-13-2024, 06:53 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science / AAS Applied Computer Studies newdegree 15 1,049 07-26-2024, 11:31 AM
  Comp sci Degree [UK] asthewindblows 10 747 07-21-2024, 05:39 PM
  Upper level Computer Science Credits TESU BA CS newdegree 6 701 07-18-2024, 06:24 PM
  How to register / sign up for a specific degree at TESU? CreativeLearner 8 485 07-17-2024, 03:04 PM
  Urgent Help Needed: Am I Missing Out on a Double Degree or Associate Degree at TESU? User7364 15 1,413 07-04-2024, 02:58 PM