Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Masters in Computer Science
(09-04-2022, 03:53 PM)ifomonay Wrote: Georgia Tech's OMSCS program does not require an undergraduate CS degree.

They require a CS degree or equivalent background. Their program is not at all friendly to those who do not have a strong background.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • davewill
(09-04-2022, 07:37 PM)jsd Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 03:53 PM)ifomonay Wrote: Georgia Tech's OMSCS program does not require an undergraduate CS degree.

They require a CS degree or equivalent background. Their program is not at all friendly to those who do not have a strong background.

From where did you get that information? I was in the program. 50% of the entering students cannot write a single line of code. In one of the AI courses I took there, we had a group of 5. Only two of us knew how to code. Your experience there may have been different.
(09-04-2022, 10:20 PM)ifomonay Wrote:

From where did you get that information? I was in the program. 50% of the entering students cannot write a single line of code. In one of the AI courses I took there, we had a group of 5. Only two of us knew how to code. Your experience there may have been different.

I graduated the OMS Cybersecurity program and am also currently an Instructional Associate at Georgia Tech for a few years now (and have been for multiple courses over the years) where the majority of students are OMSCS. The attrition is through the roof particularly for the few admitted without a CS background. I work with multiple professors and admissions folks where this information is regularly discussed and addressed, including ongoing changes in admissions standards where our input is specifically accounted for.

Your point that my "experience there may have been different" is a very true statement, it seems, but not for the purposes you intended.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

The attrition rate is indeed sky high but it'd be wrong to say they require a CS degree or equivalent. In fact, the high attrition rate indicates the exact opposite - that they admit a lot of people who shouldn't have been admitted in the first place.

The OMSCS subreddit has active admissions threads and there are a fair number of non-STEM people who get into the program every year:
Non STEM academic backgrounds are accepted, but they GENERALLY look for evidence of work or non-academic learning related to STEM which will allow for success in the CS field.

And even when accounting for that evidence, they're finding high attrition, which is the point I was making: "Their program is not at all friendly to those who do not have a strong background."

For what it's worth, I think a professional background in the field is much more telling than an academic background.

As ifomonay points out, there are plenty of CS majors that don't know how to write a line of code. That's why I appreciate the non-academic considerations GT includes.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • davewill, nomaduser
(09-04-2022, 10:20 PM)Kifomonay Wrote:

How was your experience in the program ? What was your background ? And how much time did you have to commit ?

(09-04-2022, 11:34 PM)Pikachu Wrote: The attrition rate is indeed sky high but it'd be wrong to say they require a CS degree or equivalent. In fact, the high attrition rate indicates the exact opposite - that they admit a lot of people who shouldn't have been admitted in the first place.

The OMSCS subreddit has active admissions threads and there are a fair number of non-STEM people who get into the program every year:
From what I’ve read it looks like it has somewhere between a 60-70% graduation rate. If what I’ve read is accurate.
https://omscs.gatech.edu/program-info/ad...n-criteria

Preferred qualifications for admitted OMSCS students are an undergraduate degree in computer science or related field (typically mathematics, computer engineering or electrical engineering) with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
(09-05-2022, 07:08 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

How was your experience in the program ? What was your background ? And how much time did you have to commit ?

(09-04-2022, 11:34 PM)Pikachu Wrote: The attrition rate is indeed sky high but it'd be wrong to say they require a CS degree or equivalent. In fact, the high attrition rate indicates the exact opposite - that they admit a lot of people who shouldn't have been admitted in the first place.

From what I’ve read it looks like it has somewhere between a 60-70% graduation rate. If what I’ve read is accurate.

I'm pretty sure your estimates are correct.  In fact, I think it must be closer to 80%. I don't think there is much attrition. GT's registrar publishes the grade distribution for every class. "W"'s are typically 15% and actual C's D's and F's is less than 10%. So that would be about 25% not completing the degree, or about 75% completing which is in the ballpark of your estimates. One of the professors said they fail about 3% due to people copying and pasting code (cheating). So now that's about 78-80% completing the degree for non-cheaters.
(09-09-2022, 11:29 PM)ifomonay Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 07:08 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

I'm pretty sure your estimates are correct.  In fact, I think it must be closer to 80%. I don't think there is much attrition. GT's registrar publishes the grade distribution for every class. "W"'s are typically 15% and actual C's D's and F's is less than 10%. So that would be about 25% not completing the degree, or about 75% completing which is in the ballpark of your estimates. One of the professors said they fail about 3% due to people copying and pasting code (cheating). So now that's about 78-80% completing the degree for non-cheaters.
Which if that’s the case is well within the norm for all grad programs.
This is one I’m considering.

https://ekuonline.eku.edu/lp/ekuonline-a...1662828552

Pros = reasonably priced $617 per credit
8 week course format
Mscs with a certificate in AI and data science
No application fee.
Fast process. Apply up to 2 weeks before courses begin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Augusta U Online - $7-8k Masters Degrees!!! Captainrekt000 24 2,126 10-24-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 5 715 10-22-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 444 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,207 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 21 3,183 09-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,793 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 1,081 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 1,153 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 724 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader