Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Boston U MS Data Science $25K
Offered by Boston University Faculty of Computing and Data Sciences

Program will be launched August 2024.

Cost is $25K and 100% online.  Also, GRE and recommendations are NOT required.

https://www.bu.edu/cds-faculty/programs-...line-msds/

That's a pretty good deal for a brand-name data science degree.  Also, it's offered by BU's main faculty, not their continuing education school.
[-] The following 2 users Like smartdegree's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
Interesting. Thanks for posting. There seem to be a lot of online Masters in Data Science from well known institutions popping up. Wasn't there another one recently?

Ah, yes, I found the other one: Pittsburgh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnie...-coursera/
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • smartdegree
(08-02-2024, 09:28 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Interesting. Thanks for posting. There seem to be a lot of online Masters in Data Science from well known institutions popping up. Wasn't there another one recently?

Ah, yes, I found the other one: Pittsburgh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnie...-coursera/

A heads-up that the Pittsburg one is not really 15k. it has many fees which make it closer to this Boston U one in "actual cost"
I attended the info session. They are turning admission decisions around in 24 hours for those applying for Fall 2024.
To my surprise, I was admitted in about a day, despite not having graduated yet from UMPI and not having an unofficial transcript. I was rushing to make the application deadline but didn't expect to get admitted and need to commit to it quite so soon. I thought they would wait until I could provide the unofficial transcript before deciding but I got an official BU admission letter that didn't use any words like "contingent upon" etc.

I am waiting to see if I get into UIUC after I get my unofficial transcript in a week or two, and was not ready to pay the $400 deposit. I emailed to ask if I could defer it to a later term but haven't heard back.

That said, if anybody is thinking about it but worried whether they'd be admitted, from my experience, I would suggest you go for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • jg_nuy
Oh wow, congrats on getting accepted... I would hope you do wait for UIUC as that's an amazing institution as well, you can then decide which would be a better fit for you!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Kjnova
(08-21-2024, 03:40 PM)Kjnova Wrote: To my surprise, I was admitted in about a day, despite not having graduated yet from UMPI and not having an unofficial transcript. I was rushing to make the application deadline but didn't expect to get admitted and need to commit to it quite so soon. I thought they would wait until I could provide the unofficial transcript before deciding but I got an official BU admission letter that didn't use any words like "contingent upon" etc.

I am waiting to see if I get into UIUC after I get my unofficial transcript in a week or two, and was not ready to pay the $400 deposit. I emailed to ask if I could defer it to a later term but haven't heard back.

That said, if anybody is thinking about it but worried whether they'd be admitted, from my experience, I would suggest you go for it.

That's interesting. How were they able to review your course performance, though? Did you input your courses and grades into the system, or did they just use your stated GPA to make the decision?
I really do not understand how they made that decision.

When you apply, you upload your resume and your unofficial transcripts. I uploaded the unofficial transcript from my long-ago original university, which has a lousy GPA (barely above 2.0). In place of the UMPI unofficial transcript, I uploaded a PDF I made in Word that explained I will get the unofficial transcript in early September, estimated my GPA, and copied and pasted in a screenshot of the degree progress report that shows everything marked Satisfied - IP.

It baffles me how they would accept me based on that. I assumed they would put my application on hold until I could provide the unofficial transcript.
Free to apply
I was curious about it. I applied and was admitted. Figured I would be. We will see if I decide to do it or not.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Kjnova

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 30 5,079 08-08-2024, 07:00 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Georgia Tech Master of Science in Analytics Kjnova 2 468 08-05-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 14 1,913 07-24-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UK Level 7 Diploma OTHM Diploma in Data Science Imbanewbie 1 381 06-25-2024, 10:20 AM
  Clemson University online Master of Science in Computer Science (Coursera) frankc 5 1,063 06-17-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 1,236 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 463 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 2,383 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,697 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  MS Data Analytics vs MS Data Science smartdegree 10 2,605 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: mcjon77