Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Masters in Computer Science
without a background in computer science?
Can you get a master’s degree in computer science without a computer science background? | Fortune
You can but it will be very difficult as the foundation courses are taught in undergraduate. With no background in computer science this may be far difficult but not impossible.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15
Good to see universities (well, the American ones) are willing to consider people without a background in CS.

(09-03-2022, 11:25 PM)newdegree Wrote: You can but it will be very difficult as the foundation courses are taught in undergraduate. With no background in computer science this may be far difficult but not impossible.

Most of the key foundation courses can be taken online, individually, though. There are a lot of options these days. University of North Dakota, Outlier.org, UIUC, and University of Wisconsin have self-paced courses for Math and CS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • carrythenothing
There are plenty of Masters programs in Applied Computer Science, essentially they're very similar to Computer Science but with just one or two prerequisite courses for entry. These are geared towards those who do not have an undergraduate degree in CIS/CS or a very similar subject such as Computer Engineering or Software Development, etc.

I would recommend them as it's ideal for individuals to take the courses slowly in that two year time frame to get the "basics" and also ladder up to a "similar" upper level or final year of the Bachelors and beginning of the Masters. Essentially, it's like compacting the last year Bachelors and first year of the Masters...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, nomaduser
(09-04-2022, 12:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are plenty of Masters programs in Applied Computer Science, essentially they're very similar to Computer Science but with just one or two prerequisite courses for entry.  These are geared towards those who do not have an undergraduate degree in CIS/CS or a very similar subject such as Computer Engineering or Software Development, etc.  

I would recommend them as it's ideal for individuals to take the courses slowly in that two year time frame to get the "basics" and also ladder up to a "similar" upper level or final year of the Bachelors and beginning of the Masters.  Essentially, it's like compacting the last year Bachelors and first year of the Masters...
Bj
What about something like this. It’s a msds not mscs. It appears to have very little risk (other than your time to try it )  since you can take courses as non credit and bump them up to for credit at anytime during the course. It’s a little pricey at $20k but certainly not outrageous for a top 40 school. 
No application process or fees. 

Note if you try the courses for non credit at first you will have to pay a $59 per month (I believe) membership to coursera.

https://www.colorado.edu/program/data-science/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • Pikachu
weird -- that link doesn't show up
I can't see it unless I hit Reply and then i see the link in the quoted text
(09-04-2022, 11:18 AM)Pats20 Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 12:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are plenty of Masters programs in Applied Computer Science, essentially they're very similar to Computer Science but with just one or two prerequisite courses for entry.  These are geared towards those who do not have an undergraduate degree in CIS/CS or a very similar subject such as Computer Engineering or Software Development, etc.  

I would recommend them as it's ideal for individuals to take the courses slowly in that two year time frame to get the "basics" and also ladder up to a "similar" upper level or final year of the Bachelors and beginning of the Masters.  Essentially, it's like compacting the last year Bachelors and first year of the Masters...

Bj
What about something like this. It’s a msds not mscs. It appears to have very little risk (other than your time to try it )  since you can take courses as non credit and bump them up to for credit at anytime during the course. It’s a little pricey at $20k but certainly not outrageous for a top 40 school. 
No application process or fees. 

Note if you try the courses for non credit at first you will have to pay a $59 per month (I believe) membership to coursera.

https://www.colorado.edu/program/data-science/

U of C, Boulder is the flagship! If you're from the state of CO, I would recommend them for the recognition and their local/state ranking. Nationally, they're ranked pretty high as well. If you're not from the state, they're a good option to have as well, maybe have them as your third choice. For example, I am in WA, I would go for the GT/UT-Austin as my choices and have NYU as a third choice along with U of C, Boulder.

NYU has tuition scholarships https://cds.nyu.edu/masters-program/, but I don't think it's like their Cybersecurity fellowship, 75% discount for that program: https://engineering.nyu.edu/academics/pr...er-fellows - I remember a couple years ago, with the scholarship it was $15K, last year was $17K, this year it's now $18K for NYU.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Pikachu
UPenn had the MCIT which is a Master's in Computer and Information Technology. While the title of the degree can be a little vague, it is essentially a Masters in Computer Science for those who do not have a computer science background. Their graduates go on to careers in FAANG as Software Developers and so forth.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
The advantages to the UC boulder program like no application process and essentially try before you buy make it attractive and enticing . Although a major disadvantage to this program which could make it a dealbreaker for many is it doesn’t qualify for federal financial aid.
Georgia Tech's OMSCS program does not require an undergraduate CS degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Augusta U Online - $7-8k Masters Degrees!!! Captainrekt000 24 2,134 10-24-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 5 718 10-22-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 446 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,208 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 21 3,188 09-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,796 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 1,082 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 1,157 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 727 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader