Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Map my Future: BA in Psych Plan
Hello everyone!

I'm nearly 50% done with my Sophia transfer credits and will be enrolling at UMPI (BA in Psych). I read in another thread that Workplace Writing II will fulfill the 1B objective as an alternative to English Comp II.

Does anyone have experience taking this course on Sophia? If the Touchstones are too time-consuming, it sounds like UMPIs English Comp II might be more efficient.

Thanks in advance!
(06-07-2024, 11:23 PM)SpicySynapses Wrote: Hello everyone!

I'm nearly 50% done with my Sophia transfer credits and will be enrolling at UMPI (BA in Psych). I read in another thread that Workplace Writing II will fulfill the 1B objective as an alternative to English Comp II.

Does anyone have experience taking this course on Sophia? If the Touchstones are too time-consuming, it sounds like UMPIs English Comp II might be more efficient.

Thanks in advance!

It's one touchstone less than English II at Sophia and there seem to have fewer issues and delays with grading. Much easier if you have ever done any business writing. Current grading average is 2-4 days per touchstone.

The touchstones are:
  1. Write a rhetorical analysis
  2. Outline a persuasive proposal (can be submitted at same time as 1st touchstone if challenges and touchstones in section 1 are done)
  3. Evaluate a source (2nd touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  4. Create an annotated bibliography (3rd touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  5. Draft a persuasive proposal (4th touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  6. Revise a persuasive proposal (5th touchstone must be graded before submitting)
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 2 users Like jg_nuy's post:
  • Pikachu, RachelB
@SpicySynapses, It really depends on what you're trying to do and what you want to complete at UMPI, as you haven't filled us in with the info on the addendum and template, we don't know what you have in mind of transferring to UMPI and what you're completing at UMPI for residency credits. I suggest also to give us a 'bigger picture' of your scenario by completing the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

To answer your question, it's a Yes and No. If you're using the Sophia.org class and taking something else for residency, Yes, either English Comp II or Workplace Writing II at Sophia.org will work. No, if you're going to be using English II at UMPI as one of the 30 credits you need for residency credits. You should take 10 classes at UMPI, if your major already has 10 classes remaining, then take this at Sophia.org
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi everyone,

A complete breakdown of planned courses is here.

Your Age: 34

What kind of degree do you want?: B.A. in Psychology

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia Credits: 38
  • Intro to Ethics, 3, 92%
  • Project Management, 3, 96%
  • Visual Communications, 3, 98%
  • Art History I, 3, 93%
  • Intro to Stats, 3, 97%
  • Human Biology, 3, 99%
  • Environmental Science, 3, 92%
  • US History I, 3, touchstone grade, not returned yet but should be in the 90s
  • Introduction to Information Technology, 3, 95%
  • Introduction to Nutrition, 3, 98%
  • Introduction to College Mathematics, 3, 95%
  • Developing Effect Teams, 1, 95%
  • The Essentials of Managing Conflict, 1, 93%
  • Conflict Resolution, 3, 96%
Any certifications or military experience? No.

Budget: I have no set budget, whatever it takes. Ease and expediency take precedence over cost. 

Commitments: I work full-time but my hours are flexible. I'm chronically ill, so commitments in the form of weekly appointments are non-negotiable. Household commitments are a minimum; I have an incredibly supportive family and no children.

Dedicated time to study: Weekdays I can spend between 5 and 6 hours a day studying. On weekends, that increases to 12+ hours. My time to study is more influenced by my health than by my ability to find time outside of work responsibilities. Ive learned to take each day as it comes in regards to my health.

Timeline: Finishing the courses required as fast as possible would be ideal. I plan on applying to a master's program following the completion of this degree. I will not be able to accelerate the completion of the master's program due to licensure requirements in Oregon. I would like to enroll at UMPI starting with the Fall 1 2024 term and complete my degree by the end of the Fall 2 term.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I do not qualify for a Pell Grant due to my income. My employer does not offer tuition reimbursement. I'm not concerned with finding assistance for the UMPI program but I plan on seeking scholarships before enrolling in a graduate program.

Competency-based education is preferred. I excel when I have ample time to process information (read: not tests). Autism, ADHD, + OCD make for a nice cocktail of social anxiety. Just thinking about proctored exams gives me hives. I do have the necessary paperwork to request accommodations, such as additional time for exams and the option to take breaks. I'd rather not feel obligated to use them due to the aforementioned social anxiety.

Outstanding Questions:
  1. I've heard English Comp I and II are both faster at UMPI vs. Sophia. Is that still the consensus?
  2. Is it worth taking Psych 104 and 106 at Study.com prior to enrolling or should I just add them to my UMPI course load?
  3. Can anyone share their experiences with the psych coursework at UMPI? Is it reasonable to think I can finish the 10 UL psychology courses in 2 terms?

Thanks in advance!
(06-08-2024, 12:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @SpicySynapses, It really depends on what you're trying to do and what you want to complete at UMPI, as you haven't filled us in with the info on the addendum and template, we don't know what you have in mind of transferring to UMPI and what you're completing at UMPI for residency credits.  I suggest also to give us a 'bigger picture' of your scenario by completing the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

To answer your question, it's a Yes and No.  If you're using the Sophia.org class and taking something else for residency, Yes, either English Comp II or Workplace Writing II at Sophia.org will work.  No, if you're going to be using English II at UMPI as one of the 30 credits you need for residency credits.  You should take 10 classes at UMPI, if your major already has 10 classes remaining, then take this at Sophia.org

Thank you for your insight! I've just posted my complete plan. Would love to hear your thoughts if you could spare a moment.

(06-07-2024, 11:33 PM)jg_nuy Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 11:23 PM)SpicySynapses Wrote: Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

It's one touchstone less than English II at Sophia and there seem to have fewer issues and delays with grading. Much easier if you have ever done any business writing. Current grading average is 2-4 days per touchstone.

The touchstones are:
  1. Write a rhetorical analysis
  2. Outline a persuasive proposal (can be submitted at same time as 1st touchstone if challenges and touchstones in section 1 are done)
  3. Evaluate a source (2nd touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  4. Create an annotated bibliography (3rd touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  5. Draft a persuasive proposal (4th touchstone must be graded before submitting)
  6. Revise a persuasive proposal (5th touchstone must be graded before submitting)

This is all very helpful! I appreciate the details. Thank you.
Sophia English I is not problematic. My son did it in a couple of weeks.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • manyoptions4me
For 4A/4B in GE, you needed to take Intro to Stats, not Introduction to College Mathematics.

Intro to Stats is a requirement for the PSY degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • RachelB
I ended up taking English Comp I at sophia just because I had the time a few weeks ago while waiting to start with UMPI next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes manyoptions4me's post:
  • jg_nuy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 325 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 7 702 08-02-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Tequila 4 496 07-16-2024, 01:19 AM
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 10 1,417 06-24-2024, 10:23 AM
  Find holes in my BABA plan BoatShoes 16 1,014 06-17-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: BoatShoes
  Finishing BA Psych degree plan bonjourcat 21 1,344 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bonjourcat
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 6 1,224 06-10-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI - Degree Plan Help NJC2023 20 2,629 06-04-2024, 10:50 AM
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 17 2,804 05-25-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: 10YearBachelor
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 688 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02