Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighter Line College Algebra
I need to take a College Algebra class and I looked into Straighter Line but have never taken an online class so it makes me nervous. Do I need to buy the book?? Anyone taken the class have any advice for me?? I am looking to get this done as quickly as possible. Any insights would be great!

Thanks!!
I think it would be more difficult, though certainly not impossible, to take this without the book. I think I paid around $10-$20 bucks for the book from amazon.

A short term subscription to the mathway tool could help you over any rough spots. (you can even use it for free if your just checking your work).

I have to say, Straighterline College Algebra made it possible to get my degree where myself, countless professors, and ALEKS had failed. I'm a big fan!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Check the forums on here. Plenty said about SL algebra
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Ivana617 Wrote:I need to take a College Algebra class and I looked into Straighter Line but have never taken an online class so it makes me nervous. Do I need to buy the book?? Anyone taken the class have any advice for me?? I am looking to get this done as quickly as possible. Any insights would be great!

Thanks!!

Are you certain your college accepts Straighterline credit? Most colleges won't, SL isn't an online class in the traditional sense. If they won't, you could still use the course to prepare for the College Algebra CLEP exam, which many colleges DO accept. Just throwing that out there. Maybe a better suggestion is to see if your own college offers college algebra online?
I'm going to WGU for my Post-bacc for teaching and they suggested SL. I have a 4 year degree from a Big 10 school, but I don't have enough math credits for WGU so really I just need to do it before I can officially enroll and start my teaching stuff.

I looked on Amazon for the book and the cheapest one I could find was about $75 bucks! They had this "buy back" program where I pay for the book and then sell it back to them, and it ends up costing me like $23 bucks, but I feel like that's a scam. When I was in college, we could never sell back our books even tho the bookstores claimed that it would be easy. I'd buy a book for $100 bucks and try to sell it at the end of the semester and would get like $10 back. I just don't want to waste anymore money on books for classes especially when all I want to do is pass this course. I don't care if I pass by an inch or a mile, LOL I just want to get it over with as quickly and as inexpensively as possible

I apologize if people have posted about this topic in previous threads, I didn't come across it.
Since WGU takes SL, you'll be fine. I'd suggest getting started and seeing if you need the book. If you do, you could always resell it here. There are a lot of people here who use SL (maybe fewer than who use ALEKS Algebra or CLEP Algebra, but still you'd have a good shot).
[quote=Ivana617]
I looked on Amazon for the book and the cheapest one I could find was about $75 bucks! They had this "buy back" program where I pay for the book and then sell it back to them, and it ends up costing me like $23 bucks, but I feel like that's a scam.
QUOTE]

I buy all my books on Amazon & sell them back when I'm done and get an Amazon Gift Card. I haven't had any problems with it, it winds up costing me less than renting the books.
Testing CreditsALEKS- Beginning Algebra, CLEP Intro Psychology, CLEP Principles of Management, CLEP Principles of Marketing, CLEP Info Systems & Computer App, CLEP Intro Sociology, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, DSST Environment & Humanity, DSST Here's to Your Health, DSST Organizational Behavior, DSST Personal Finance, DSST Substance Abuse, DSST Supervision
Class Credits
English Composition 1, English Composition 2, Nutrition, Intercultural Communications, Introduction to Business, US History 2, College Algebra, HR Management, Professional Selling, Consumer Behavior, Managing Organizational Change, Art Appreciation, Music Appreciation, Statistics
I would try ALEKS.com to me straighterline's algebra was more harder. With ALEKS it is cheaper and it shows you what you are doing wrong. I got about 9 credits with them for $20 and my husband got about 12 for $20.00. It was a really good deal.
me:
ASBA-TESC-9/2011
BSBA-TESC-6/2012
Awards: Arnold Fletcher Award
MBA-CSU- 5/2014
DBA- undecided

hubby:
A.A.S-TESC-6/2012
BS in Interdisciplinary Studies-Starting Soon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,947 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,282 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 599 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 414 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 727 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 283 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 17 1,533 06-26-2024, 03:23 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,096 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,326 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene
  It Costs Over $10 Million in Opportunity Cost to Go to College LevelUP 7 913 05-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy