Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Straighter Line College Algebra - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Straighter Line College Algebra (/Thread-Straighter-Line-College-Algebra)

Straighter Line College Algebra - Ivana617 - 11-06-2011

I need to take a College Algebra class and I looked into Straighter Line but have never taken an online class so it makes me nervous. Do I need to buy the book?? Anyone taken the class have any advice for me?? I am looking to get this done as quickly as possible. Any insights would be great!

Thanks!!

Straighter Line College Algebra - rebel100 - 11-06-2011

I think it would be more difficult, though certainly not impossible, to take this without the book. I think I paid around $10-$20 bucks for the book from amazon.

A short term subscription to the mathway tool could help you over any rough spots. (you can even use it for free if your just checking your work).

I have to say, Straighterline College Algebra made it possible to get my degree where myself, countless professors, and ALEKS had failed. I'm a big fan!

Straighter Line College Algebra - Tasman - 11-06-2011

Check the forums on here. Plenty said about SL algebra

Straighter Line College Algebra - cookderosa - 11-06-2011

Ivana617 Wrote:I need to take a College Algebra class and I looked into Straighter Line but have never taken an online class so it makes me nervous. Do I need to buy the book?? Anyone taken the class have any advice for me?? I am looking to get this done as quickly as possible. Any insights would be great!

Thanks!!

Are you certain your college accepts Straighterline credit? Most colleges won't, SL isn't an online class in the traditional sense. If they won't, you could still use the course to prepare for the College Algebra CLEP exam, which many colleges DO accept. Just throwing that out there. Maybe a better suggestion is to see if your own college offers college algebra online?

Straighter Line College Algebra - Ivana617 - 11-06-2011

I'm going to WGU for my Post-bacc for teaching and they suggested SL. I have a 4 year degree from a Big 10 school, but I don't have enough math credits for WGU so really I just need to do it before I can officially enroll and start my teaching stuff.

I looked on Amazon for the book and the cheapest one I could find was about $75 bucks! They had this "buy back" program where I pay for the book and then sell it back to them, and it ends up costing me like $23 bucks, but I feel like that's a scam. When I was in college, we could never sell back our books even tho the bookstores claimed that it would be easy. I'd buy a book for $100 bucks and try to sell it at the end of the semester and would get like $10 back. I just don't want to waste anymore money on books for classes especially when all I want to do is pass this course. I don't care if I pass by an inch or a mile, LOL I just want to get it over with as quickly and as inexpensively as possible

I apologize if people have posted about this topic in previous threads, I didn't come across it.

Straighter Line College Algebra - cookderosa - 11-06-2011

Since WGU takes SL, you'll be fine. I'd suggest getting started and seeing if you need the book. If you do, you could always resell it here. There are a lot of people here who use SL (maybe fewer than who use ALEKS Algebra or CLEP Algebra, but still you'd have a good shot).

Straighter Line College Algebra - GoodtoGo - 11-06-2011

[quote=Ivana617]
I looked on Amazon for the book and the cheapest one I could find was about $75 bucks! They had this "buy back" program where I pay for the book and then sell it back to them, and it ends up costing me like $23 bucks, but I feel like that's a scam.
QUOTE]

I buy all my books on Amazon & sell them back when I'm done and get an Amazon Gift Card. I haven't had any problems with it, it winds up costing me less than renting the books.

Straighter Line College Algebra - emichele20 - 11-06-2011

I would try ALEKS.com to me straighterline's algebra was more harder. With ALEKS it is cheaper and it shows you what you are doing wrong. I got about 9 credits with them for $20 and my husband got about 12 for $20.00. It was a really good deal.