Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is online college easier now?
(02-23-2024, 01:08 PM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: My high school teachers always gaslit us with horror stories about how hard college supposedly was and how we were not nearly prepared for the amount of work it would take to even pass English Lit 101. "You'll have to read Chaucer for 6 hours every day just to make a B! You have NO IDEA what you're in store for!"

I've taken probably 15 credit hours worth of lit. I hold an English degree. Never had to reach Chaucer once. To this day I don't know if they were just gassing us up or if the rigor of my HS teachers really was significantly harder back in their day. The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

I suspect they were remembering the kind of studies they had to do as English majors in their upper division or graduate courses and convieniently forgetting that most of their students would never have to face that. Though I don't doubt that some of the most onerous requirements may well have been dropped or softened. Certainly, there are a lot more easy to access study aids for tough subjects like Chaucer than there used to be.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-26-2024, 05:41 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 01:08 PM)ReyMysterioso Wrote: My high school teachers always gaslit us with horror stories about how hard college supposedly was and how we were not nearly prepared for the amount of work it would take to even pass English Lit 101. "You'll have to read Chaucer for 6 hours every day just to make a B! You have NO IDEA what you're in store for!"

I've taken probably 15 credit hours worth of lit. I hold an English degree. Never had to reach Chaucer once. To this day I don't know if they were just gassing us up or if the rigor of my HS teachers really was significantly harder back in their day. The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

I suspect they were remembering the kind of studies they had to do as English majors in their upper division or graduate courses and convieniently forgetting that most of their students would never have to face that. Though I don't doubt that some of the most onerous requirements may well have been dropped or softened. Certainly, there are a lot more easy to access study aids for tough subjects like Chaucer than there used to be.

Ohhh yeah... I had to memorize the first 18 lines of the prologue Canturbury Tales in high school (1991).  We all had to take turns reciting it to the class.  (Remembered with the help of Google)

Whan that April with his showres soote 
The droughte of March hath perced to the roote, 
And bathed every veine in swich licour, 
Of which vertu engendred is the flowr; 
Whan Zephyrus eek with his sweete breethe 
Inspired hath in every holt and heethe 
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne 
Hath in the Ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye 
That sleepen al the night with open ye-- 
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages-- 
Thanne langen folk to goon on pilgrimages, 
And palmeres for to seeken straunge strondes 
To ferne halwes, couthe in sondry londes; 
And specially from every shires ended 
Of Engelond to Canterbury they wende, 
The holy blisful martyr for to seeke 
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seke.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,930 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 128 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 830 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 432 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,446 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 352 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 781 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,814 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 421 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader