Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Does Your Bachelor's Major Matter if You Have a Master's
UptonSinclair Wrote:I am at a crossroads and would like some input from the DegreeForum community. I am currently an Excelsior student in the BS Technology program. Once I have my Bachelor's, I plan to the Master's of Professional Studies - Computer Networking degree at Fort Hays. I can complete a BSL-CIS at Exclesior a year earlier and much cheaper than the BST-Computer Technologies. I just don't know how much of a difference it would make to future employers.

Any thoughts?

I would think that your employers would see that as a bachelor of liberal arts not CIS, but you can just put bachelors, CIS. I have a few friends in the IT field and neither one of them has a college degree (one a GED). From what I see, most of them are self taught. One friend of mine always has a different story about the new "stupid" grad that screwed something up. Experience is king from what I understand.

On a side note, I see a lot of people who say your bachelor's doesn't matter if you have a master's, is this really true? Also, doesn't your getting into a good Master's program depend on the quality of your Bachelor's?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:I researched actuarial science years ago, and the most important thing in that field is the exams The key is THE EXAMS. But I think having a mathematics degree with a good school will help you in this field. As long as you have the right mix of math and business courses you should do well.

Vist the Society of Actuaries website. They have past exams you can view to see what you need to study and also suggested courses of study. good luck.

Education FAQs | Be an Actuary

SOA - Society of Actuaries - Past Exam Questions and Solutions

Thanks Prloko! I didn't know about the past exams on the website, that will be helpful later on. It's just a bummer that most actuary programs only prepare you for the first exam. I'm leaning toward Central Michigan University's program, but I haven't ruled anything out. If you don't mind me asking, what changed your mind about this career? I'm not dead set on it, I just know that I love math and a favorite Calculus professor of mine strongly recommended that route.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 445 09-09-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 708 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 510 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,018 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 2,595 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 1,031 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 1,045 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 465 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 9,282 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 540 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley