Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree
Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree

Quote:Just one-third of students who started at community colleges transferred to four-year institutions, and fewer than half of those students earned a bachelor’s degree in six years, new research from a trio of organizations found. [...]

Community college entrants in 2007 had a bachelor’s degree attainment of 14% — meaning this level of degree completion has only climbed 2 percentage points for students who start at these institutions. [...]

Older students, defined as those ages 25 and over, showed only a 6% bachelor’s degree attainment rate.

I never realized it was that low.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ares's post:
  • RachelB
Ouch, the associates is the new high school diploma, bachelors is the new associates, and the masters is the new bachelors... everyone is going for higher and higher education. Having said that, there are still some companies out there that mentioned that a degree isn't needed, many go for trades, etc, that do not require a degree, but as I usually recommend, a balanced mix/match of the trifecta of certs, degree, experience will get you farther than just one of the three.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Community college is what I talk to a lot of my students in class about. Some people only take a few classes at a CC because that is all they need. Maybe they take a couple of automotive classes, or something else they are interested in and move on to the workforce. Some high school students graduate and start at CC and figure out that college is not for them, and join the workforce. Some students like my youngest, go to the local CC, and only take what classes will transfer to a University, then transfer and work on their Bachelor's. One of my son's friends, was sent home from a University and then started at the local CC and he is struggling and may just join the workforce.

I don't think we should look at CC and focus on people who earn an Associates or Bachelors. That is not the only purpose of a Community College. We have a few local CC's in my area and I think they are a valuable resource to residents. Post secondary education would take a huge hit if we did not have CC's.
In progress: Just Finished:
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership

Previous:
Sophia 27 Credits
San Jacinto College A.A.S. Automotive Technology
[-] The following 3 users Like ltw900rr's post:
  • CatsDomino, jch, Jonathan Whatley
I think that is the nature of community college. For instance, I think it could be a good option for my son who is STILL unsure what he wants to do with his life. They have career programs as well as associate degrees. While he is there, he may or may not decide to go further. As of right now, it's completely up in the air.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ltw900rr
(02-13-2024, 10:49 PM)Ares Wrote: Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree

Quote:Just one-third of students who started at community colleges transferred to four-year institutions, and fewer than half of those students earned a bachelor’s degree in six years, new research from a trio of organizations found. [...]

Community college entrants in 2007 had a bachelor’s degree attainment of 14% — meaning this level of degree completion has only climbed 2 percentage points for students who start at these institutions. [...]

Older students, defined as those ages 25 and over, showed only a 6% bachelor’s degree attainment rate.

This doesn't surprise me at all based on my own experience. I graduated with honors with my AAS and transferred within the same state system - SUNY and was made a second semester freshman instead of a first semester junior. I had to repeat most of my classes even though both colleges used the exact same textbook - same edition. I dropped out because I wasn't taking the courses again. A lot of people talk about how great community college is and you can save a lot of money, but that's not the reality for a great deal of people. Transferring isn't a bed of roses and can be quite difficult.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jg_nuy, Jonathan Whatley
(02-14-2024, 11:06 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 10:49 PM)Ares Wrote: Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree

This doesn't surprise me at all based on my own experience. I graduated with honors with my AAS and transferred within the same state system - SUNY and was made a second semester freshman instead of a first semester junior. I had to repeat most of my classes even though both colleges used the exact same textbook - same edition. I dropped out because I wasn't taking the courses again. A lot of people talk about how great community college is and you can save a lot of money, but that's not the reality for a great deal of people. Transferring isn't a bed of roses and can be quite difficult.
Wow, that number is abysmal.  I agree that part of the issue lies in making the transition from CC to a university more streamlined.  In my state, we have guaranteed junior status for AA or AS graduates who follow the CC guidelines for pre-majors at their chosen university.  We also have 2+2 programs that allow an AAS to transfer into specific BS or BA programs at certain four-year schools, both public and private.  It seems to be very state specific.

A am a CC graduate with my ADN and have since gotten my BSN and MHA.  Both my sons are CC graduates as well.  The oldest earned an AAS, got a job at his internship site, and they paid for his BS in electrical engineering.  He has since changed jobs and gotten his MS - he's 29.  My youngest (22) got his transfer degree at CC.  He is on track to graduate in December with his BS in computer science and a physics minor.  I'm just happy both of them are happy, and always encouraged using the free tuition at our local satellite CC campus as a way to get a feel for what they may be interested in pursuing or not.  College isn't for everyone and that's perfectly fine, but CCs fulfill a need for those both seeking college-level courses as well as specific training for the trades.  I don't feel their sole worth or purpose is to send grads to universities, and that shouldn't be the entire criteria upon which they are evaluated.
[-] The following 2 users Like CatsDomino's post:
  • ltw900rr, origamishuttle
Not too surprising. I imagine a lot of the people who end up here would add to that statistic. I know for myself, it was too difficult to transition from being a part-time student at CC to being a full-time student at a 4-year school. I had a job and a family by the time I was ready to transfer, so never did.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • ltw900rr, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 8 164 2 hours ago
Last Post: 3ichael7ambert
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,948 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 133 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 711 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,224 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,229 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,608 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 608 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar