Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It”
Marc Novicoff (in Washington Monthly) Wrote:Overwhelmed—or perhaps underwhelmed—prospective students often resort to asking for information from schools directly.

And that’s when the salespeople intervene.  

“I signed up as someone who was interested and wanted more information about the program,” Sofia—who requested that we use only her first name—told me of her experience in the summer of 2019. “And the next day I got a recruitment call.”

According to Sofia, her recruitment agent was relentless, calling her almost daily and remembering every detail he heard. “He name-dropped some of my professors,” she said. “He remembered my pets’ names.” 

She expressed to him that the program [based on context in the article, apparently the online Master of Arts in Counseling from Northwestern University] seemed too expensive, with a tuition (not including housing or any other costs) of between $133,824 and $190,440, depending on the track. But the recruitment agent countered, selling her on the “incredible power of being able to say that you went to Northwestern.” 

This “incredible power,” as Sofia recalls him saying, is not recognized by the market. Northwestern’s median earnings five years after graduation, $56,897, are markedly lower than the median master’s program in this category: $63,675. 

That recruitment agent worked for 2U, a private, for-profit online education program management company which also runs the online infrastructure that Northwestern’s master’s program uses—software that, one alum told me, she felt was constantly having “technological glitches” and felt “clunky and old.” Though 2U’s exact compensation from Northwestern isn’t publicly disclosed, the company’s standard deals with universities in 2019 involved keeping 60 percent or more of tuition revenues. (More recently, 2U has reduced its standard revenue-sharing fee for degree programs to 35 percent.)

The article contrasts high-tuition, low-ROI master's programs like Northwestern's MA in Counseling, which it characterizes as "predatory," with lower-cost programs in similar fields such as those from Aurora University.

Posting to the General forum because the contentious issues here are also seen in undergraduate and vocational programs.

How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It (Marc Novicoff, Washington Monthly, August 25, 2024)
(08-28-2024, 11:05 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
Marc Novicoff (in Washington Monthly) Wrote:Overwhelmed—or perhaps underwhelmed—prospective students often resort to asking for information from schools directly.

“I signed up as someone who was interested and wanted more information about the program,” Sofia—who requested that we use only her first name—told me of her experience in the summer of 2019. “And the next day I got a recruitment call.”

According to Sofia, her recruitment agent was relentless, calling her almost daily and remembering every detail he heard. “He name-dropped some of my professors,” she said. “He remembered my pets’ names.” 

She expressed to him that the program [based on context in the article, apparently the online Master of Arts in Counseling from Northwestern University] seemed too expensive, with a tuition (not including housing or any other costs) of between $133,824 and $190,440, depending on the track. But the recruitment agent countered, selling her on the “incredible power of being able to say that you went to Northwestern.” 

This “incredible power,” as Sofia recalls him saying, is not recognized by the market. Northwestern’s median earnings five years after graduation, $56,897, are markedly lower than the median master’s program in this category: $63,675. 

That recruitment agent worked for 2U, a private, for-profit online education program management company which also runs the online infrastructure that Northwestern’s master’s program uses—software that, one alum told me, she felt was constantly having “technological glitches” and felt “clunky and old.” Though 2U’s exact compensation from Northwestern isn’t publicly disclosed, the company’s standard deals with universities in 2019 involved keeping 60 percent or more of tuition revenues. (More recently, 2U has reduced its standard revenue-sharing fee for degree programs to 35 percent.)

The article contrasts high-tuition, low-ROI master's programs like Northwestern's MA in Counseling, which it characterizes as "predatory," with lower-cost programs in similar fields such as those from Aurora University.

Posting to the General forum because the contentious issues here are also seen in undergraduate and vocational programs.

How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It (Marc Novicoff, Washington Monthly, August 25, 2024)
Thanks for sharing this. I also found their Best and Worst Colleges ranking, which is based on ROI rather than prestige and factors in tuition cost, debt, and income after graduation, to be really interesting. WGU was the top spot in a couple categories. On the other hand, Purdue Global ranked worst in a few, with little income improvement and high debt for graduates. It's a good reminder that most folks aren't like the ones on this board, choosing only self-paced programs from schools like Purdue Global and zipping through them in one or two terms.

The ranking is here: https://washingtonmonthly.com/2024/08/25...s-degrees/
[-] The following 3 users Like wow's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, midnite123, NotJoeBiden

I think the article is junk. I find it hard to believe 
Aurora University grads are making on average $20k more than northwestern grads for equivalent programs. No way if apples to apples are being compared. 
Thank you for sharing your cognitive bias with us, Pats20.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
(08-29-2024, 09:17 AM)wow Wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I also found their Best and Worst Colleges ranking, which is based on ROI rather than prestige and factors in tuition cost, debt, and income after graduation, to be really interesting. WGU was the top spot in a couple categories. On the other hand, Purdue Global ranked worst in a few, with little income improvement and high debt for graduates. It's a good reminder that most folks aren't like the ones on this board, choosing only self-paced programs from schools like Purdue Global and zipping through them in one or two terms.

Hi,
  What are some of the grad programs that can be completed,
 in 1 term or maybe 2?
Anything low cost?
Thanx!!!
(08-30-2024, 01:17 AM)midnite123 Wrote:

Hi,
 in 1 term or maybe 2?
Anything low cost?
Thanx!!!
WGU was high in the rankings for a couple of the different degrees. However, on average, graduates take longer than a term or two to complete the degree. Finishing it quickly really depends on your previous knowledge, your study and testing skills, and how much time you have to dedicate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • midnite123
(08-30-2024, 05:32 AM)wow Wrote:
(08-30-2024, 01:17 AM)midnite123 Wrote:

Hi,
 in 1 term or maybe 2?
Anything low cost?
Thanx!!!
WGU was high in the rankings for a couple of the different degrees. However, on average, graduates take longer than a term or two to complete the degree. Finishing it quickly really depends on your previous knowledge, your study and testing skills, and how much time you have to dedicate.

Thank you!
Very interesting article and institutions like those mentioned promote a bad reputation with certain niche private universities.
In Progress:
PhD in Organizational Leadership – Columbia International University

Completed: 
MBA – Webster University 
B.S in Business Management – University of Phoenix 

Certifications: 
CAPM®, PSM™

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,679 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 420 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 504 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 988 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 1,734 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 444 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 9,158 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,343 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 570 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  What are the weirdest programs you know? spohara 4 1,106 04-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77