Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying...
Brick 
Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying to make it easier.

Quote:The accelerated studies are part of an effort to boost enrollment at the rural campus, which has seen a drop in numbers in recent years. [...]

Students participating in the rapid programs will still need to earn 120 credits, but they might do so on a tighter schedule that includes summer courses. Due to differences in how summer classes are billed, Ericksen estimated that some students could save as much as $20,000 over the course of their studies.

3-year degrees are definitely coming to more schools as they either adapt to lower costs or go out of business but jamming 120 credits into 3 years by taking summer classes is not the answer. Cutting out electives and trimming the credits down to 90-96 like BYU is doing will be the long term solution.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ares's post:
  • fmsoa, midnite123
If you take CLEPS or DSSTs, which most colleges accept at least 30 credits, you cut 1 year off your degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • indigoshuffle, midnite123, NotJoeBiden
To be fair, electives are the easiest part. Can easily take them elsewhere and transfer. I dont see this saving that much for students.
-
Joe
[-] The following 1 user Likes NotJoeBiden's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-23-2024, 09:40 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: To be fair, electives are the easiest part. Can easily take them elsewhere and transfer. I dont see this saving that much for students.

You save time and money period, unless they take courses from someplace like Sophia the savings can be significant.
CLEPs, DSSTs, and other avenues for credit before getting into college can save you energy, money, time. That's why we have options such as challenge exams and AP/IB, Dual Enrollment, and so on. Usually, by using these methods, you can get a year off, in some cases, 45 credits out of 60 can be done exclusively by going this route, thus, you just need to take the 5 classes for Dual Enrollment to get a cheap Associates at the local college for transfer into university while you're still in high school. There are ways where high schoolers or homeschoolers can get the Associates at the same time as their High School diploma.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Taking 30 less credits is still faster.
(02-24-2024, 04:22 AM)Ares Wrote:
(02-23-2024, 09:40 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: To be fair, electives are the easiest part. Can easily take them elsewhere and transfer. I dont see this saving that much for students.

You save time and money period, unless they take courses from someplace like Sophia the savings can be significant.
Most schools do not touch ACE credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-24-2024, 11:24 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 04:22 AM)Ares Wrote:

Most schools do not touch ACE credits

Exactly my point.
The state where I live has several programs for free CC and if you are low income you qualify for PELL CC is so cheap it covers all of it. Anyways, my local CC is $140/cr, but like I said many qualify for free/reduced and also many get scholarships, grants, etc. And on top of that my CC has a special 3 to 1 program a State Uni for a couple different degrees. (3yrs at CC and 1 yr at Uni) BUT after reviewing this plan I realized that 30 credits at CC for the third year as part of this plan are simply "free electives." Furthermore, both the CC and State Uni take and charts for CLEP, DSST, and AP on their website and have generous policies. So one could take Ten CLEP tests between summer, winter breaks, spring breaks and before they start college. It wouldn't be hard to graduate in 3 years with no debt!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,930 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 706 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,676 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 681 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 356 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,768 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,836 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 781 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,350 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger