Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Career Certificates & WGU Credits / UMPI Credits Comparison
Hello there!

I have a doozy for you all today!   Wink

Question 1:
Are Google Career Certificates allowed in definitively, as transferrable credits at UMPI?  These certificates don't seem to have an accreditation and don't seem to have any endorsements above other certificates in the same area, that I've taken somewhere else.
And when I e-mailed UMPI they said only transcripts can be evaluated, unless I asked for work/career approval, which I do have as a business in this area - digital marketing. 

I'm asking because I can fly through one of these Google certificates, versus having to take the course at UMPI, which I hear for this one area has a lot of writing.

There was some former post on this Degree Forum where someone said their Google Certificates could be transferred into UMPI.  

I'm confused on if they do take certificates or not.  

Question 2:
Also, I got my WGU evaluation in today.  They only gave me 20 credits, whereas UMPI gave me 44.  There were 11 classes that if I had my AS degree, I could bypass.  The only way to do that quickly, is finish my last 5 classes for an Associates by enrolling at Pierpoint. Which I did submit an application and transcript, before many of you felt I could do it faster somewhere else without the AS.  But this isn't about getting an AS Degree so to speak, it's about speeding through the Gen Electives.

Edited to add:  WGU I see has a note that the AS Degree needs to be in Business, so I'm pretty sure the BOG Degree from Pierpoint would NOT satisfy this ... right?

UMPI and WGU focus on different things for Business Administration, Management.  WGU seems more HR focused, while UMPI seemed more well-rounded of key sections in business.

So looking for confirmation - is it still faster and the best option for me to go to UMPI?  I feel like the answer is yes, but I do want to hear your opinions, now that I have more information today, and get validation that this will be best.

I did read one person was transferring 70 WGU credits to UMPI and she was like "OMG, I wish I had known of UMPI sooner, WGU is such a slow process...." but I wasn't able to find her post to see what she had encountered.

And my personal update:
Now, I have 2 pending clients that want to come on board, as I'm trying to get this last client project out the door.  One prospect, I can refer elsewhere, but the other is also a former colleague and friend, and if I stop to take that project, it's 2 more days of being stuck in my business.  The other client I will be missing out on a $2k sale.  I think I need a hard stop....otherwise, it's always like this.  Everytime I try and either get out of this industry, or do something for myself, I get sucked back in.  If you have any advice, I'm all ears.  Thanks for letting me vent again.
UMPI definitely takes Google Project Management and Google Data Analytics. I transferred in both. They are ACE recommended for 9 and 12 credits, respectively. Whether or not it is actually a plus to take them vs courses at UMPI will depend on what courses you need and especially how many electives you need.

I was able to complete the Google Certs for free using the Coursera free trial, and I did them while I had lag time at UMPI waiting for Milestones to be affirmed. Ultimately, though, I still wouldn't recommend them to most people. I kinda wish I had spent the downtime binging Netflix instead.

I don't have any information on any other Google Certs either way.
I just edited my post, so if anyone reads it, I think the BOG AS Degree at Pierpoint doesn't count as a AS Business Degree for the WGU purpose of what I posted.

(06-21-2023, 07:01 PM)LakeMomNY Wrote: UMPI definitely takes Google Project Management and Google Data Analytics. I transferred in both. They are ACE recommended for 9 and 12 credits, respectively. Whether or not it is actually a plus to take them vs courses at UMPI will depend on what courses you need and especially how many electives you need.

I was able to complete the Google Certs for free using the Coursera free trial, and I did them while I had lag time at UMPI waiting for Milestones to be affirmed. Ultimately, though, I still wouldn't recommend them to most people. I kinda wish I had spent the downtime binging Netflix instead.

Is there a way to find an ACE recommended list somewhere?  I took a Certificate Program at University of AZ for Digital Marketing that is well-known to be superior to that of the Google Digital Marketing certificate, but I'd have to challenge it.
I can't tell you for certain if UMPI will take them all, but my fiancé just applied yesterday and he has these ACE-recommended certs:
Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management, Google Data Analytics, AWIT Cloud Product Management, IBM Data Analyst Professional, IBM Data Analysis and Visualization Foundations, IBM Data Science Professional, IBM Applied Data Science

I'll definitely let the forum know what transferred once he gets his eval back.

You can check for ACE-recommendations in the ACE National Guide: https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/

BTW, if you are interested in knocking out some Coursera certs, check out https://theamericandreamacademy.org/
(06-21-2023, 07:46 PM)impasta Wrote: I can't tell you for certain if UMPI will take them all, but my fiancé just applied yesterday and he has these ACE-recommended certs:
Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management, Google Data Analytics, AWIT Cloud Product Management, IBM Data Analyst Professional, IBM Data Analysis and Visualization Foundations, IBM Data Science Professional, IBM Applied Data Science

You can check for ACE-recommendations in the ACE National Guide: https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/

BTW, if you are interested in knocking out some Coursera certs, check out https://theamericandreamacademy.org/

I never even knew this existed!  Thank you!

I've got 44 credits ready to go at UMPI, and was trying to develop a pathway that is the most efficient, I'm not a person who builds the plane as they fly it, I need to have a clear path defined.

(06-21-2023, 07:15 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: I just edited my post, so if anyone reads it, I think the BOG AS Degree at Pierpoint doesn't count as a AS Business Degree for the WGU purpose of what I posted.

(06-21-2023, 07:01 PM)LakeMomNY Wrote: UMPI definitely takes Google Project Management and Google Data Analytics. I transferred in both. They are ACE recommended for 9 and 12 credits, respectively. Whether or not it is actually a plus to take them vs courses at UMPI will depend on what courses you need and especially how many electives you need.

Is there a way to find an ACE recommended list somewhere?  I took a Certificate Program at University of AZ for Digital Marketing that is well-known to be superior to that of the Google Digital Marketing certificate, but I'd have to challenge it.
LakeMomNY:

When is my EC at UMPI going to reach out to me?  So far, I have only seen my degree report in my student portal. I have not received the official audit report yet, how long does it take to get that e-mail?   So I haven't been able to ask any follow-up questions or get any direction, or even change my start date. Can you tell me what the process is for this?
The institutions we recommend will grant credit for those who have ACE/NCCRS recommendations for credit. Unless the institution takes the transfers without the ACE credit recommendations like for some of the Google certs. See the links below...

Please review the WIKI link for Coursera/TADA here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera
I also suggest you to review the Cheap/Freebies too: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-21-2023, 08:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The institutions we recommend will grant credit for those who have ACE/NCCRS recommendations for credit.  Unless the institution takes the transfers without the ACE credit recommendations like for some of the Google certs.  See the links below...

Please review the WIKI link for Coursera/TADA here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Coursera
I also suggest you to review the Cheap/Freebies too: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

Going through all this tonight!
(06-21-2023, 08:04 PM)DolceDolce Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 07:46 PM)impasta Wrote: I can't tell you for certain if UMPI will take them all, but my fiancé just applied yesterday and he has these ACE-recommended certs:

I've got 44 credits ready to go at UMPI, and was trying to develop a pathway that is the most efficient, I'm not a person who builds the plane as they fly it, I need to have a clear path defined.

(06-21-2023, 07:15 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: I just edited my post, so if anyone reads it, I think the BOG AS Degree at Pierpoint doesn't count as a AS Business Degree for the WGU purpose of what I posted.

LakeMomNY:

When is my EC at UMPI going to reach out to me?  So far, I have only seen my degree report in my student portal. I have not received the official audit report yet, how long does it take to get that e-mail?   So I haven't been able to ask any follow-up questions or get any direction, or even change my start date. Can you tell me what the process is for this?

I don't think you will ever hear from the enrollment counselor again. If you have questions, you probably want to reach out to Jessica Winslow. Who, unfortunately, is very busy.
(06-21-2023, 09:14 PM)LakeMomNY Wrote:
(06-21-2023, 08:04 PM)DolceDolce Wrote:

LakeMomNY:

I don't think you will ever hear from the enrollment counselor again. If you have questions, you probably want to reach out to Jessica Winslow. Who, unfortunately, is very busy.
Actually, I didn't have an EC.  I guess I was thinking of Jessica.  Oh well.
UM...yeah, don't think you need the EC at all, it's your academic advisor such as Jessica or your professors you want to talk to. In brief... Education Consultants, err, enrollment counsellors are the 'sales people' you want to avoid. It's actually a good thing the enrollment sales people aren't spamming you! You want to speak with staff, not sales...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 102 5 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 17 1,163 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 23 1,625 09-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  UMPI Accounting Assistance NewbieLearner 9 354 09-24-2024, 08:51 PM
  Coursera Google PM Cert to UMPI dm.hans32 0 149 09-20-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 535 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 586 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 904 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 93,209 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 755 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger