Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI?
Cybersecurity minor?
First, given the number of IT credits available on Coursera, would it be possible to transfer a cybersecurity minor into a UMPI YourPace degree using relatively easily obtainable alt credits? This is the mapping I have in mind:

COS 101 - Introduction to Computer Science | (?)
COS 110 - Programming Fundamentals | SAS Programmer Professional Certificate - 3 LL ACE credits (Introduction to Programming)
COS 210 - Introduction to Information Security | Google Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 3 LL ACE credits (Security Fundamentals)
COS 232 - Introduction to Cyber Forensics | IBM Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 4 LL ACE credits (Digital Forensics and Incident Response)

(elective) COS 290 - Special Topics in Cybersecurity | IBM Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 2 UL ACE credits (Advanced Computer Concepts)
(elective) COS 410 - Cybersecurity I | Google Cloud Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 3 UL ACE credits (Cybersecurity Risk Management)

I note that past Coursera credits have transferred as electives rather than the specific credits above, but at the same time, I'm thinking that since the cybersecurity minor is a new course, they might re-evaluate the courses to match the new cybersecurity requirements on petition.

Cybersecurity major?
Second, is it possible to transfer second majors into a YourPace degree, just as some people have transferred minors in? And if so, this is the cybersecurity degree plan I'm thinking of (for the courses not above):

Major Requirements (Business)
  • BUS 101 - Introduction to Business 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
  • BUS 343 - Project Risk and Cost Management 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
  • BUS 345 - Database Management 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
Major Requirements (CS)
  • COS 120 - Introduction to Data Structures 3 credits | SDC CS201 Data Structures and Algorithms
  • COS 240 - Network Concepts 3 credits | Coursera Microsoft Cybersecurity - 3 LL credits (Networking Fundamentals)
  • COS 340 - Computer Security 3 credits | Microsoft SC-900 exam, which currently transfers at CS3XX according to MaineStreet. Possible alternatives: CompTIA Security+, although MaineStreet shows COS1XX but for a prep course; Saylor CS402 Computer Communications and Networking, which is only ACE accredited at 3 LL credits and on MaineStreet transfers to COS 240.
  • COS 350 - Databases and Database Security 3 credits | Coursera IBM Data Science - 3 UL credits (Advanced Topics in Data Science). Alternative: SDC CS303 Database Management (transfers to COS 350 according to MaineStreet)
  • COS 440 - Network Security 3 credits | SDC CS336 Network Forensics
  • COS 485 - Cybersecurity Capstone 3 credits | Waived, replaced with UL CS Coursera credit 
  • COS 495 - Cybersecurity or Computer Science Internship 3 credits | Waived, replaced with UL CS Coursera credit
  • MAT 201 - Probability and Statistics I 3 credits * | Sophia Statistics
Electives
  • Business Elective (higher than BUS 101) 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
  • Computer Science Elective 3 credits | Coursera Google Cloud Data Analytics - 3 UL credits in Cloud Computing
  • MAT 131 - Calculus I 4 credits | Sophia Calculus
  • BUS 210 - Organizational Communication 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
Final thoughts
The ACE credit rating for Saylor CS101 has currently expired, so I'm unsure where an alternative intro to CS course can be found. I made a post yesterday that noted that CS50X on EdX should, according to the ACE website, give 3 credits upon completion - but I don't know what's the current status between the EdX and ACE partnership. Of the top of my head, two things I can think of are: (i) transfer in an UL CS elective, which should (in principle) satisfy the Intro to CS requirement by being a higher level course; (ii) credit bank the Saylor credential through TESU TECEP credit banking. I also see that on the Wiki, Sophia Intro to Networking transfers in as a CS elective, but on MaineStreet it transfers to CS 101.

Also wondering how the new free ISC2 Certified in Cybersecurity would transfer. On the ACE website it says 2 credits for a "vocational certificate".
(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: Cybersecurity minor?
First, given the number of IT credits available on Coursera, would it be possible to transfer a cybersecurity minor into a UMPI YourPace degree using relatively easily obtainable alt credits? This is the mapping I have in mind:

COS 110 - Programming Fundamentals | SAS Programmer Professional Certificate - 3 LL ACE credits (Introduction to Programming)
COS 210 - Introduction to Information Security | Google Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 3 LL ACE credits (Security Fundamentals)
COS 232 - Introduction to Cyber Forensics | IBM Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 4 LL ACE credits (Digital Forensics and Incident Response)

(elective) COS 290 - Special Topics in Cybersecurity | IBM Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 2 UL ACE credits (Advanced Computer Concepts)
(elective) COS 410 - Cybersecurity I | Google Cloud Cybersecurity Professional Certificate - 3 UL ACE credits (Cybersecurity Risk Management)

I note that past Coursera credits have transferred as electives rather than the specific credits above, but at the same time, I'm thinking that since the cybersecurity minor is a new course, they might re-evaluate the courses to match the new cybersecurity requirements on petition.

Cybersecurity major?
Second, is it possible to transfer second majors into a YourPace degree, just as some people have transferred minors in? And if so, this is the cybersecurity degree plan I'm thinking of (for the courses not above):

• BUS 343 - Project Risk and Cost Management 3 credits | Offered through YourPace
Major Requirements (CS)
  • COS 120 - Introduction to Data Structures 3 credits | SDC CS201 Data Structures and Algorithms
  • COS 240 - Network Concepts 3 credits | Coursera Microsoft Cybersecurity - 3 LL credits (Networking Fundamentals)
  • COS 340 - Computer Security 3 credits | Microsoft SC-900 exam, which currently transfers at CS3XX according to MaineStreet. Possible alternatives: CompTIA Security+, although MaineStreet shows COS1XX but for a prep course; Saylor CS402 Computer Communications and Networking, which is only ACE accredited at 3 LL credits and on MaineStreet transfers to COS 240.
  • COS 350 - Databases and Database Security 3 credits | Coursera IBM Data Science - 3 UL credits (Advanced Topics in Data Science). Alternative: SDC CS303 Database Management (transfers to COS 350 according to MaineStreet)
  • COS 485 - Cybersecurity Capstone 3 credits | Waived, replaced with UL CS Coursera credit 
  • COS 495 - Cybersecurity or Computer Science Internship 3 credits | Waived, replaced with UL CS Coursera credit
Electives
  • Computer Science Elective 3 credits | Coursera Google Cloud Data Analytics - 3 UL credits in Cloud Computing
Final thoughts
The ACE credit rating for Saylor CS101 has currently expired, so I'm unsure where an alternative intro to CS course can be found. I made a post yesterday that noted that CS50X on EdX should, according to the ACE website, give 3 credits upon completion - but I don't know what's the current status between the EdX and ACE partnership. Of the top of my head, two things I can think of are: (i) transfer in an UL CS elective, which should (in principle) satisfy the Intro to CS requirement by being a higher level course; (ii) credit bank the Saylor credential through TESU TECEP credit banking. I also see that on the Wiki, Sophia Intro to Networking transfers in as a CS elective, but on MaineStreet it transfers to CS 101.

Also wondering how the new free ISC2 Certified in Cybersecurity would transfer. On the ACE website it says 2 credits for a "vocational certificate".

UMPI doesn't offer Cyber Security through YourPace so this isn't possible at all I'm fairly certain.
In Progress:
Open University: BSc Cyber Security
Microsoft: AZ-104 Azure Engineer
Google: Associate Cloud Engineer
AWS: AWS Solutions Architect Associate
Cisco: CCNAv8

Completed: 
MS Certs: SC-300, MD-102, AZ-900, MS-900, AI-900, DP-900, PL-900, SC-900, MB-910, MB-920
AWS Certs: AWS Cloud Practitioner
Google: Cloud Digital Leader
GIAC Certs: GSEC
CompTIA Certs: Network+, Security+, Linux+
LPI Certs: LPIC-1 Linux Admin
Coursera: IBM Cyber Security, Data Analysis & Visualization, Google PM
TEEX: Cyber 101, 201, 301
I really like your positive attitude!

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: I'm thinking that since the cybersecurity minor is a new course
It is available since 2019-2020: http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....2&poid=232

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: is it possible to transfer second majors into a YourPace degree, just as some people have transferred minors in? And if so, this is the cybersecurity degree plan:
Double Majors are possible, and they can be fully transferred: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...ble-majors
One key point to consider is that YourPace doesn't offer Bachelor of Science degrees, and you are speaking about Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity. But by the previous link it should not be an issue really.

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: MAT 201 - Probability and Statistics I 3 credits * | Sophia Statistics

It's a great idea! I think getting Sophia's Statistics evaluated for MAT 201 credit would be a good first step. Not only would it benefit this program, but it could also open the door for other course re-evaluations in the future, as you really would need to do a lot of work.

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: Also wondering how the new free ISC2 Certified in Cybersecurity would transfer. On the ACE website it says 2 credits for a "vocational certificate".

Here you would need to contact ISC2 also, as by default ISC2 issues Credly badges without ACE recognition.
(08-14-2024, 02:26 AM)mdn Wrote: I really like your positive attitude!

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: I'm thinking that since the cybersecurity minor is a new course
It is available since 2019-2020: http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....2&poid=232

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: is it possible to transfer second majors into a YourPace degree, just as some people have transferred minors in? And if so, this is the cybersecurity degree plan:
Double Majors are possible, and they can be fully transferred: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...ble-majors
One key point to consider is that YourPace doesn't offer Bachelor of Science degrees, and you are speaking about Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity. But by the previous link it should not be an issue really.

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: MAT 201 - Probability and Statistics I 3 credits * | Sophia Statistics

It's a great idea! I think getting Sophia's Statistics evaluated for MAT 201 credit would be a good first step. Not only would it benefit this program, but it could also open the door for other course re-evaluations in the future, as you really would need to do a lot of work.

(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: Also wondering how the new free ISC2 Certified in Cybersecurity would transfer. On the ACE website it says 2 credits for a "vocational certificate".

Here you would need to contact ISC2 also, as by default ISC2 issues Credly badges without ACE recognition.

Actually, now that you've pointed it out, I think that the Statistics course would have to be transferred from elsewhere. Looking at the content, the Sophia course isn't equivalent to the MAT 201 course but the lower level statistics course that UMPI offers. I am wondering if an upper-level credit in data science from one of the Coursera certificates could satisfy it though. 

I think as a first step I might try appealing for re-evaluating the Coursera courses for transferring in the cybersecurity minor. The amount of re-evaluations for the whole major would probably be too much for anyone to handle at one go.

(08-14-2024, 02:19 AM)BritStudent Wrote:
(08-14-2024, 12:17 AM)Robson Wrote: Cybersecurity minor?

Cybersecurity major?

Major Requirements (CS)
Electives
Final thoughts

UMPI doesn't offer Cyber Security through YourPace so this isn't possible at all I'm fairly certain.
People on this forum have transferred minors in using credits they've earned elsewhere, but I'm not sure if anyone has transferred a second major in yet.
Minors and majors aren't the same thing. You need to complete a certain amount of credits in a major at UMPI. UMPI does not offer CS or Cybersecurity in YourPace. You'd have to transfer in the courses. With a minor it's not a problem because you only have to meet the residency requirements for the first minor. Majors aren't the same when it comes to residency requirements.

CS3XX means it does not transfer as COS 340. It transfers as a 300 level course in CS which is a general elective.

Not sure where this Waived, replaced with UL CS Coursera credit comes from as a replacement for COS 485.

Introduction to Statistics from Sophia transfers as MAT101. MAT201 is not the same course nor is it available in YourPace.

This link http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...ble-majors does not say that a second major is fully transferable. There's not mention of transfer credit at all.

Add to My Favorites (opens a new window)