Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From College Board: How Many Q#s You Need To Get Right For Your Desired CLEP Score!!
So for anyone that's wondering how many questions they need to get right it's 63%.

50/80=62.5% but I'm just rounding to 63%

So to find out how many questions you need correct use the following:

x = number of questions on exam

x multiply by 0.625 = number of correct questions needed.

For example if a exam consisted of 90 question:

90 x 0.625 = 56.25 or 57 correct answers
There is no one formula that blankets every test. You can do all the math you want you will never figure it out. You should never take a test because you think you only need to get X correct. Study and pass the test. I have saw calculations and calculations and I would be willing to bet none of them are correct. You need more then 40% of the questions correct on any test to pass. If 46/115 is good enough for credit then I certainly wouldn't feel any accomplishment at all on that test. I could probably pass that cold. These numbers are also from 2012-2013 I believe so they hold zero weight today.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Quote:50/80=62.5% but I'm just rounding to 63%

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always understood it like this:

You start with a 20 (that's the lowest score you can get). So, if there are 120 questions, each question would be worth 1/2 a point. So you need 60 questions right to score a 50. 20 + (.5 X 60) = 50.

No, I'm wrong. I just checked the clep official website, and I'm quoting it here:

"CLEP uses “rights only” scoring, which means that the exams are scored without a penalty for incorrect guessing. The test taker’s raw score is simply the number of questions answered correctly. However, this raw score is not reported. Instead, it is converted into a scaled score by a process that adjusts for the level of question difficulty on the different forms of the test.

The scaled scores are reported on a scale of 20 to 80. Because the different forms of the test are not always equal in difficulty, raw-to-scale score conversions may differ from form to form. An easier form means a higher raw score is needed to attain a given scaled score."

So, each question does not have equal weight... I'm glad I didn't know this earlier or I would never have taken a test! I always assumed I just needed to get 50% right...
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
zapproximator Wrote:I passed!! I just got a 64 about an hour ago. A little lower than I expected, but still a pass!

I'm a little late, but congratulations! You're really doing great!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
sarg123 Wrote:I'm a little late, but congratulations! You're really doing great!

Thank you so much! I'm about to write my specific exam feedback...I doubt I'll remember every resource I used (I used A LOT!) :willynilly:
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
zapproximator Wrote:Thank you so much! I'm about to write my specific exam feedback...I doubt I'll remember every resource I used (I used A LOT!) :willynilly:

I used REA and Khan Academy. Worked out well!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:There is no one formula that blankets every test. You can do all the math you want you will never figure it out. You should never take a test because you think you only need to get X correct. Study and pass the test. I have saw calculations and calculations and I would be willing to bet none of them are correct. You need more then 40% of the questions correct on any test to pass. If 46/115 is good enough for credit then I certainly wouldn't feel any accomplishment at all on that test. I could probably pass that cold. These numbers are also from 2012-2013 I believe so they hold zero weight today.

sarg123 replied what I was going to say... each question has a different "weight" to the score. Also, a 50 is C grade or better... A+ students are not expected to get 100%... that's why 40% (of the questions) could be a pass and you can feel like you accomplished something, (that's because lets say hypothetically answering 70% correct translates to a score of 80 or an A+) It isn't like a normal exam where you get a letter grade, they expect you to get some wrong and then they calculate your equivalent level of knowledge. It varies from exam to exam, but in my biology case, 40% of questions right = a C grade. I heard here, C's get degrees. (in my case I got a B+)

I will say though, the links may be outdated and not have any weight, but I did want to explain the way it's scored... they don't expect 100%... (Still study for 100%... Tongue)
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
Synicaal Wrote:I used REA and Khan Academy. Worked out well!

Nice! Do you mean the MCAT section on Khan? I watched a couple of those
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,899 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,767 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,035 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,347 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 448 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 297 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,117 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,386 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene