Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English comp or college comp?
Did the English Comp Clep change to College Composition or is that something totally different? I have been trying to study online and I keep seeing refrences to College Comp.. I signed up for English Comp. with essay and not sure if its the same things.
They swapped the tests out a while back. Here is what CLEP says on their website:
On July 1, 2010, CLEP introduced two new exams — College Composition and College Composition Modular. These exams replaced three current exams, which have been discontinued:
English Composition has been replaced by College Composition Modular.
English Composition with Essay has been replaced by College Composition.
Freshman College Composition has been replaced by College Composition Modular.
Each college decides its own policy for the new exams, so check with your admissions office, test center, or academic adviser before taking a test.

See CLEP Exams | CLEP and click on the composition tab.

TESC takes both exams with College Comp being good for both ENC101 & ENC102 and the Modular test is only good for ENC101. Check with your school to see which one they take for the credits you're looking for. The test you signed up for doesn't exist anymore so be sure to check out any updated information you can find.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
To add to the confusion (!), the one that has the essays can be done two ways. Well, sort of "done." If you aren't admitted to a college/university, CLEP has your essays graded. And they choose the topics. If you're admitted to a college/university, I'm pretty sure that the college/university grades the essays. They might even choose the topics.

Good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer, you are sort of correct, especially if you are referring to College Composition Modular which has OPTIONAL essays. I have seen many colleges which grant credit for College Composition Modular without the optional essays. This means only completing the multiple-choice portion of the exam. If your university does require the optional essays, your university receives the essays no matter what. The only decision the college has to make is whether they will supply the essay topics or have CLEP supply the essay topics. Either way, the candidate handwrites the essays, the candidate receives a score right away for the multiple-choice portion of the exam and the test center sends the completed essays to CLEP for processing to the appropriate university.

Then there are the two built-in essays as part of the College Composition exam. These essays are delivered as part of the computer exam and the candidate types the essays on the computer. This is the only CLEP exam which does not produce a score right away as the essays are sent off to be "graded" by professors twice a month (see the candidate bulletin for the exam cut-off dates).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,867 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,742 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,031 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,343 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 436 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 296 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,116 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,383 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene