Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
English comp or college comp? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: English comp or college comp? (/Thread-English-comp-or-college-comp)

English comp or college comp? - britfish - 02-28-2012

Did the English Comp Clep change to College Composition or is that something totally different? I have been trying to study online and I keep seeing refrences to College Comp.. I signed up for English Comp. with essay and not sure if its the same things.

English comp or college comp? - cooperalex2004 - 02-28-2012

They swapped the tests out a while back. Here is what CLEP says on their website:
On July 1, 2010, CLEP introduced two new exams — College Composition and College Composition Modular. These exams replaced three current exams, which have been discontinued:
English Composition has been replaced by College Composition Modular.
English Composition with Essay has been replaced by College Composition.
Freshman College Composition has been replaced by College Composition Modular.
Each college decides its own policy for the new exams, so check with your admissions office, test center, or academic adviser before taking a test.

See CLEP Exams | CLEP and click on the composition tab.

TESC takes both exams with College Comp being good for both ENC101 & ENC102 and the Modular test is only good for ENC101. Check with your school to see which one they take for the credits you're looking for. The test you signed up for doesn't exist anymore so be sure to check out any updated information you can find.

English comp or college comp? - LaterBloomer - 02-29-2012

To add to the confusion (!), the one that has the essays can be done two ways. Well, sort of "done." If you aren't admitted to a college/university, CLEP has your essays graded. And they choose the topics. If you're admitted to a college/university, I'm pretty sure that the college/university grades the essays. They might even choose the topics.

Good luck.

English comp or college comp? - BGSU_Alum_86 - 02-29-2012

LaterBloomer, you are sort of correct, especially if you are referring to College Composition Modular which has OPTIONAL essays. I have seen many colleges which grant credit for College Composition Modular without the optional essays. This means only completing the multiple-choice portion of the exam. If your university does require the optional essays, your university receives the essays no matter what. The only decision the college has to make is whether they will supply the essay topics or have CLEP supply the essay topics. Either way, the candidate handwrites the essays, the candidate receives a score right away for the multiple-choice portion of the exam and the test center sends the completed essays to CLEP for processing to the appropriate university.

Then there are the two built-in essays as part of the College Composition exam. These essays are delivered as part of the computer exam and the candidate types the essays on the computer. This is the only CLEP exam which does not produce a score right away as the essays are sent off to be "graded" by professors twice a month (see the candidate bulletin for the exam cut-off dates).