Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encouragement For Newbies & Oldies Like Me!
I just got back from taking yet another DSST exam. Every week when I do one I get so excited about this site that I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone here and say Thanks again! I also want the newbies here to know this community and forum works! I started in February trying to find the push to finish my AS degree at EC. I did 18 credits in 1 month to finish my degree. I graduated 4/17 and immediately enrolled in EC's BS in Health Sciences degree. I'm now sitting as of today at 84 credits out of my 120 needed! I just enrolled in my first EC online course and I'm doing the ALEKS statistics course as well as finishing my last few CLEP / DSST exams. I have taken an exam almost every week since I started with a few weeks off for illness and I'm taking next week off due to the test center being closed! I'm taking Foundations of Education in 2 weeks. So this can be done!

Now for the Oldies like me! I'm 45 and although I took some college classes right out of high school, once I started working full time on an ambulance doing 24 hr shifts my school work went to H***. I have a ton of withdrawls and incompletes along with "A" & "B" grades for the classes I liked and finished! I didn't go back until I was in my 30's took a few classes then enrolled in the EC ADN program. I did 3/4ths of the ADN program including 5 of the nursing exams, then had a premie daughter and left school in the dust to be a full time Mom to her and my older son. Now at 45 I had to abandon the ADN because of the time limits, but EC gave me the chance to continue on and at first I did so reluctantly. Now 5 months later I can see the end of the road to my BS degree, which I would have told you 6 months ago I had no interest in earning. Now I'm looking into Master's programs! Who took my sensible brain and replaced it with this new brain? LOL! I will say that being a mother and wife has been all I have done and considered myself for many years. I do work as a teacher and love it, but never thought of myself as being able to be a student again. I'm here to say that it can be done, because if I can do it anyone can! I truly didn't realize that my old moldy brain could still work, although statistics is giving it a nasty workout! I guess I was on auto-pilot for so long I forgot I was a real live thinking, dare I say smart, human being. Not only have I discovered I'm not dead yet mentally, but I have found my self esteem. I know I couldn't have done it without the support and friendship of the wonderful people here, but just know you can do this and you are not alone in your journey! Don't be afraid to ask for help or ask those "stupid" questions because some of us have been there and don't think they are "stupid" questions. Keep plugging away and you will obtain your goals and maybe more than you bargained for along the way! Good Luck!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
marianne202,
Posts like yours is what helps keep me motivated. Keep up the fantastic work you are doing, that BS is just right around the corner for you. Congrats on the AS and thanks for sharing!
CLEP's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]A & I Lit-6CH (62), American Gov't (63), Introductory Business Law (64), History of the United States I (66), Introductory Psychology (61), Introductory Sociology (73), American Literature (63), Macroeconomics (58)[/SIZE]

DSST's Taken:
[SIZE="1"]Intro to World Religion (464), Astronomy (70)[/SIZE]

Up Next:
[SIZE="1"] Taking a break![/SIZE]
You passed another one? You go Girl! Keep up the good work.Smile
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Congrats Marianne202
Thanks for the motivation!!!

What masters program are you looking at?
Marrianne,
Congrats on the pass!
This becomes automatic after a while.

I did one today too. I got an A on the CLEP Marketing Exam.
Now, 37 credits in seven weeks!
Puts me at BS + 3 credits.
EC - BSLS Finally done!
Went from 86 to 120 credits in six weeks thanks to IC and the forum.
Currently doing MBA pre-reqs.
Now BSLS + 9 credits
Tasman - I'm trying to find a Master's In Education program I do online. I'm in the research phase and have found one at ECU (East Carolina University) that looks promising.

Malcs - I'm having so much fun, yes I said fun, that I worry I won't want to stop after my last 3 DSST exams! I have thought about doing a second BS degree, so that I keep compiling some exam credits! If I go back to work that will put a dent in my study and exam time, so we will see what happens!

Good luck to everyone!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more
marianne202 Wrote:I'm trying to find a Master's In Education program I do online. I'm in the research phase and have found one at ECU (East Carolina University) that looks promising.

Have you looked at the programs that Penn State offers?

Penn State | Earn an Online Masters Degree, Bachelors Degree or Associate Degree

Thank you for the inspirational words!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I hadn't thought about Penn State, shame on me since I was born in Pittsburgh, because I thought they were very expensive. I will check them out. I know my cousin's son is considering them when he graduates next year. Thanks for the suggestion!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more
Okay what the second BA going to be in?????
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Hey, Marianne202,

Another school with Masters but probably pricey -- but may have funding is Nova Southeastern University (NSU): Fischler School of Education and Human Services - Discover FSEHS

I also know of someone who got a full scholarship with them. It might be worth checking out.

and list of masters and doctorates available at: Fischler School of Education and Human Services - Discover FSEHS

With the following information: "The Fischler School of Education and Human Services offers 15 education degrees, ranging from associate's to doctorates, in more than 50 specializations to students throughout the world. Most are now available online or through a combination of live and online classes. Live classes in a number of specializations are offered at more than 60 sites throughout the U.S. and in other countries; online classes are available to students almost anywhere in the world."

Judy

P.S. Tried to PM again, hopefully it went through.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbies - PLEASE post your questions on the forum dfrecore 9 3,480 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  To the Newbies that think Penn Foster courses are a cake walk... Borashi 9 1,437 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  THANKS and ENCOURAGEMENT psclements 0 506 12-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Last Post: psclements
  FREE Resources for Newbies/Newer members/Homeschoolers HorseManiac 6 930 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Last Post: jenniferhc
  NEWBIES >>> OPEN if you are looking for the Specific Feedback Section! Aroob1989 1 459 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Aroob1989
  Where & How to start (newbies) DRS71188 11 1,719 11-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  StraighterLine Algebra tips, comments encouragement? :) HarleyMan 5 1,136 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Encouragement for 2 tests greatwall 13 2,228 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: greatwall
  Finished! (+ for the newbies...) cgnocal2 10 1,916 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Last Post: wannabeit
  New here, looking for guidance/encouragement DocChao 3 1,081 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Last Post: barcotta