Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Composition Essay - citation method?
Hey guys, I'm taking this tomorrow and I'm just curious about the 2nd essay. I believe it involves using an article or two and you need to cite your sources in the essay.

Did anyone go above and beyond by using APA or MLA formats?

Per the exam guide:
Quote:You must cite the sources whether you are paraphrasing or quoting. Refer to each source by the author’s last name, the title or by any other means that adequately identifies it.

It goes on to give an example of a "6" essay which is the highest grade given. In the example essay, the following simple format is used:
Quote:As Richard Epstein, in his article “The Creators Own Ideas,” argues, “just as we protect private rights in land for the benefit of the community, not solely for a property’s owner, so too we have a social reason to protect writings and ther intellectual creations.”

Thanks!

Goal: BSBA in CIS

1[SIZE=1]20
credits required, 33 to go!
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]34) - Various Credits/Classes
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
Money & Banking (70) - 10/27/11
Statistics (466) - 01/30/12
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
Org Beha[SIZE=1]vor (55) - 04/03/12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

Next up: 30 days of Straighter[SIZE=1]line for Accounting I[SIZE=1], Accounting
II & Business Communication[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Keithk,

No, you do NOT need to go beyond the examples that they provide. Following their examples helped me to pass. (I took the test in July or August.) I dislike writing, and the time limit REALLY hung heavy over me. Unless you're a super fast writer, don't make it more difficult for yourself. Also, and I don't know if this is the case, you might be dinged if you incorrecty attempt those formats. Why chance it?

Oh, a thought just came to mind. Have you enrolled in a college? If so, they'll grade your essay rather than the CLEP folks. If that's the case, my advice might not be as relevant.

Good luck.
keithk Wrote:Hey guys, I'm taking this tomorrow and I'm just curious about the 2nd essay. I believe it involves using an article or two and you need to cite your sources in the essay.

Did anyone go above and beyond by using APA or MLA formats?

Per the exam guide:

It goes on to give an example of a "6" essay which is the highest grade given. In the example essay, the following simple format is used:

Thanks!

Ok, ok, ok, hold on.
This is not going to be that kind of essay.

And just for fun, can anyone out there can do APA citation cold? That means you have memorized every author, title, edition, publication date and friggin PAGE NUMBER - not to mention the exact text, word for word, out there for an exact quote. Which library of book collections would you'd this for? Cuz you have to prepare for every topic they throw at you. Oh, wait, maybe it's a journal article you'd rather quote? I hope you see the absurdity of such a thought.

You are attempting to show them that you can skip FRESHMAN LEVEL COMPOSITION, nothing more.

Now, refocus.

Your question will be open ended and opinion based. Something like whether or not you think street drugs should be illegal. Maybe it's more about whether or not the Pledge should be said in schools. Now, clearly you could site something you've read/watched tv/internet site to help form an argument and support your position. You might cite an old adage like "all's well that ends well" etc. Maybe you'll site your family history or the bible, or say something like "according to the first ammendment.....". See? Supporting your argument (and possibly quoting someone/paraphrase) is a much different kind of citation that where you are thinking.

One of my questons (I was given 2, and had to choose 1 for my essay) was something like- when you're climbing the ladder of success, you're bound to get some splinters- true or not? Support your belief about that statement.
Thank you both.

LB, I haven't enrolled yet so I believe I'll just be typing out the essays and they will be sent off for review to a "random" group. I'm nervous about the timed element of the writing as well, but I'm hoping a lot of practice today will get me ready! I'll use the simple citation method. Like you mentioned, no need to chance getting dinged for incorrect usage if I don't know the methods very well yet.

Cookderosa, I think this might be a different test than you took. The College Composition has two essays. The first essay is still an opinion piece based on your own knowledge, observations and experience. The 2nd though is an essay that you need to synthesize two sources that are provided. The sample test shows these two sources:
Quote:Epstein, Richard A. “The Creators Own Ideas.” Technology Review 108.6 (2005): 56–60.
Quote:Lessig, Lawrence. The Future of Ideas: The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World. NewYork: Random House, 2001.

Each is followed by an excerpt from the book or article listed.

Thanks again for the replies. Time to get back to practicing Smile

1[SIZE=1]20
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
I took the test in July - You are required to complete two essays - the first is an opinion piece and you get 30 minutes to complete it; the second is a formal argument for your chosen position and you are allotted 40 minutes to complete. The second essay requires quoting twice from the sources provided - there is not enough time to worry about footnoting, APA or MLA style, etc. You can't even "copy" the quotations to add to your essay, so keep your quotations short and to the point.
I'm a professional writer and I found the essays a gruesome chore - Time is your nemesis and the minutes pass quickly.
Consider writing some practice essays between now and when you take the test - I didn't and I wish I had.
Good luck and don't fret over the essays. Do your best and then forget about it.
Whatever you end up scoring, you score - there is no rhyme or reason or explanation on how you did on the essays. A pass is a pass and worth 6 college credits. Yee Haw!!
Oops...I missed your reply by minutes. Practice makes perfect!!! So practice...practice...
Keith,

You are 100% correct, the second essay is a synthesis of two short sources with opposing views. But you are supposed to take a position on the issue.

I made two columns, one for each source, and wrote down the main points each source made. Then I drew a few lines between points to show which point supported or rebutted the opposing view. It really helped me determine how to approach the paper. I spent maybe 3-5 minutes doing that and the paper just flowed from there.

Just remember to cite them in any way that will tie your statement back to the source. Use a variety of techniques, for example for one statement you can say "According to Jones, ..." and then in another use a quotation or paraphrase "these are the most important items to consider" (Jones).

Just prove that you understand plagiarism and how to avoid it. That's all.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dcan's post:
  • camjenks
[QUOTE=keithk]
Cookderosa, I think this might be a different test than you took. The College Composition has two essays. The first essay is still an opinion piece based on your own knowledge, observations and experience. The 2nd though is an essay that you need to synthesize two sources that are provided. The sample test shows these two sources:QUOTE]

Yes, I took the old version, look at dcan's suggestions.
I took the test this morning and the essay portion was about as rough as I expected, but keeping the citations simple helped. The fast food sparknotes suggestion also helped and was one link I hadn't checked out before. Now to wait for the results. I'm just hoping the multiple choice section carries me to a passing grade.

Thanks again to everyone.

1[SIZE=1]20
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)

DSST (15)
HRM (63) -
03/06/12

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,876 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,756 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,033 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,345 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 624 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 437 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 758 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 296 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,116 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,384 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene