Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree
There's an abundance of info on Reddit about Sophia classes, how people go about doing them, how fast they complete them, etc. And there's videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbtrr3xOvc with thousands of views. This kind of info is readily available from various sources, it isn't some clandestine, hidden knowledge. All of their courses are open book and non-proctored, everyone knows what ctrl-f does. No one is shooting themselves in the foot. If schools decided to stop accepting Sophia credits, it would probably be something like what happened with Shmoop, where some dope tried to transfer in a ridiculous number of Shmoop credits to TESU in an unbelievably short period of time, and someone at TESU realized something wasn't right. So they temporarily stopped accepting Shmoop credits while they did further evaluation, which then became permanent, and then other schools followed suit.

You seem to be trying to find wrong where there is none, which is why everyone is being dismissive. If Pierpont decided that they don't want to accept Sophia's Intro to College Math because they consider it to be remedial math, that's their choice. If I go into a restaurant and try to pay with Discover Card, and the owner tells me they don't accept Discover, I'm not going to tell him that he's wrong for not accepting Discover, pretend that I know why he's wrong for not accepting it, and tell him that since the nicer restaurant down the street accepts Discover Card that he should too. I'm simply going to either use a different credit card or go to another restaurant that accepts Discover. There's enough other options to complete the Pierpont degree that it's really insignificant.
[-] The following 2 users Like RJ77's post:
  • allvia, jg_nuy
(02-24-2024, 07:25 PM)Ares Wrote:

(02-24-2024, 06:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: It's rare to find any college accept the foundations courses as they are at a remedial level from what I have seen.

I read that too but this is a myth as affiliated universities such as PUG, SNHU, UAGCUMGC, and UMass Global all do among others.

It is not a myth. Several colleges have stated that the foundations courses are remedial level courses. Again, every college decides which courses to accept so it's great that your list of colleges accepts those courses. You may find later in life that they won't be helpful if you go onto grad school. Grad programs often have specific requirements in the bachelor's courses. A class in foundations math isn't going to help someone who needs to understand a bit of College Algebra to complete Financial Management for their undergrad or grad degree.
(02-24-2024, 10:52 PM)RJ77 Wrote: There's an abundance of info on Reddit about Sophia classes, how people go about doing them, how fast they complete them, etc. And there's videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNbtrr3xOvc with thousands of views. This kind of info is readily available from various sources, it isn't some clandestine, hidden knowledge. All of their courses are open book and non-proctored, everyone knows what ctrl-f does. No one is shooting themselves in the foot. If schools decided to stop accepting Sophia credits, it would probably be something like what happened with Shmoop, where some dope tried to transfer in a ridiculous number of Shmoop credits to TESU in an unbelievably short period of time, and someone at TESU realized something wasn't right. So they temporarily stopped accepting Shmoop credits while they did further evaluation, which then became permanent, and then other schools followed suit.

I am well aware of what is being said on Reddit about this but the staff approving alternative sources of credit at colleges and universities are unlikely to be well versed in technology, let alone frequent Reddit. The YouTube video you linked which I had already seen only has 18K views, is relatively benign and is the equivalent of someone cramming to test out of courses. What I found on Reddit is much more concerning and freely shared by the idiots there who are predominantly kids and young men. So you don't think broadcasting some of those things on a site that shows up prominently in search engines like this is no big deal?

I have been dealing with end users in IT for over 30 years and no they all do not know how to use CTRL+F. I have done IT business directly with schools and most school administrators have a hard enough time logging into things using email properly.

(02-24-2024, 10:52 PM)RJ77 Wrote: You seem to be trying to find wrong where there is none, which is why everyone is being dismissive. If Pierpont decided that they don't want to accept Sophia's Intro to College Math because they consider it to be remedial math, that's their choice. If I go into a restaurant and try to pay with Discover Card, and the owner tells me they don't accept Discover, I'm not going to tell him that he's wrong for not accepting Discover, pretend that I know why he's wrong for not accepting it, and tell him that since the nicer restaurant down the street accepts Discover Card that he should too. I'm simply going to either use a different credit card or go to another restaurant that accepts Discover. There's enough other options to complete the Pierpont degree that it's really insignificant.

"Everyone" is not being dismissive, just a few here who do not even understand my actual argument. I will reiterate again, there is no discussion here about why Pierpont considers it "remedial math" yet has a GE course that appears to cover nearly the same math topics all the while accepting Introduction to Web Development for 3 college credits. WV has a transfer policy that all WV schools have to accept courses approved by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission that are 70% similar. That doesn't directly apply here but the concept applies.

If an owner of a restaurant tries to tell me that Discover card is not a real credit, yes you should argue with them. If an owner of a restaurant tells me they only take cards from Capital One and for that reason refuses to take Discover card, even after I tell them Discover is now owned by Capital One, yes you should argue with them. Either way that has nothing to do with this discussion as public colleges and universities are not restaurants.

I also do not believe it to be insignificant but rather an oversight or more likely just an arbitrary decision.

(02-25-2024, 12:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 07:25 PM)Ares Wrote:
(02-24-2024, 06:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: It's rare to find any college accept the foundations courses as they are at a remedial level from what I have seen.

I read that too but this is a myth as affiliated universities such as PUG, SNHU, UAGCUMGC, and UMass Global all do among others.

It is not a myth. Several colleges have stated that the foundations courses are remedial level courses. Again, every college decides which courses to accept so it's great that your list of colleges accepts those courses. You may find later in life that they won't be helpful if you go onto grad school. Grad programs often have specific requirements in the bachelor's courses. A class in foundations math isn't going to help someone who needs to understand a bit of College Algebra to complete Financial Management for their undergrad or grad degree.

It is certainly a myth here as I have read multiple discussions where there was no mention of the schools I listed as taking these courses just that effectively "schools do not take them". Actually it is not true that every college decides which courses they have to take as multiple states have transfer polices requiring schools to accept equivalent courses from other schools. There is also more schools than those I just listed that accept the foundational courses but I specifically selected more well known online Universities directly affiliated with prominent Universities to make my point.

(02-24-2024, 06:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You may find later in life that they won't be helpful if you go onto grad school. Grad programs often have specific requirements in the bachelor's courses. A class in foundations math isn't going to help someone who needs to understand a bit of College Algebra to complete Financial Management for their undergrad or grad degree.

Now you are changing the argument which has nothing to do with what I was talking about. My point is simple, people here should not be stating or implying that schools will not take these courses when that is not a truthful statement.
There are in fact colleges that do not accept the foundations courses. So I'm not sure why you're saying that "people here should not be stating or implying that schools will not take these courses when that is not a truthful statement." Some colleges do accept them and some don't accept them. Same with every other ACE course.
(02-27-2024, 12:17 AM)ss20ts Wrote: There are in fact colleges that do not accept the foundations courses. So I'm not sure why you're saying that "people here should not be stating or implying that schools will not take these courses when that is not a truthful statement." Some colleges do accept them and some don't accept them. Same with every other ACE course.

I understand that and never argued otherwise. My issue was when someone is not informed that they are accepted at certain schools like PUG.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 12 486 Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Pierpont BOG AAS - AoE Graphics Technology Aikuroa 2 175 04-19-2024, 06:06 PM
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 558 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 981 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 761 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Sophia's "Advisor of the Year" (Nominate Nancy Parks) Ariadne 10 478 04-07-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 810 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 840 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 519 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 704 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy