Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally Passed College Algebra ALEKS -
I had suffered from brain damage, several genetic issues and been math challenged for years. I have an allergy to artificial lights, cannot be out in the sun for very long without getting very ill, have severe chemical sensitivities to things like cleaners and sprays, I have a list of dozens of environmentals and drugs I cannot have near me... suffice it to say traditional college & work environments do not work for me. My family teases me and calls me "bubble girl". :p

I assessed at 18% ALEKS 4 days ago and felt pretty dejected. I didn't think there was any way to do this because being on the computer for long periods of time hurts my eyes. But, I sat down and read through all the Degree Forum posts about Aleks College Algebra and decided I would do it, no matter what. As of today, thanks to all of you here on Degree Forum, your insights, advice, resources, and kick-butt attitudes, I finally was able to assess at 70% today and ACE just approved the credit. I never thought I'd be able to get through a college algebra course. I had so many professors give up on me saying I was not cut out for school... :hurray:Confusedmilelol:

I wanted to thank you so much. DO NOT GIVE UP NO MATTER WHAT. If I can get through this course with everything going against me, you can do it too! Khan Academy really helped. modernstates.org is also an amazing resource that will help you test out of CLEP for free - They even helped me by paying for one of my CLEP exams.
cheersmate Awesome!! It took me 5 times over a couple weeks to get higher than a 70%. I kept getting 66, 68, and even a dreaded 69! A mere 1 POINT...HA!
I feel your pain.

Congrats!
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
Such wonderful news! You did it! So happy you stuck with it and finished. Great job
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Congratulations for sticking with it so many times and getting through it Smile That is sad you had professors give up on you. I'm glad you still have confidence in yourself Smile

My daughter passed ALEKS intermediate algebra today too!! She has some challenges as well, namely dyscalculia and an anxiety disorder. She will take the intermediate and call math done! :hurray:
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
originalamyj Wrote:My daughter passed ALEKS intermediate algebra today too!! She has some challenges as well, namely dyscalculia and an anxiety disorder. She will take the intermediate and call math done! :hurray:

Congrats to her!

yeah it was painful. :-) thank you!
originalamyj Wrote:My daughter passed ALEKS intermediate algebra today too!! She has some challenges as well, namely dyscalculia and an anxiety disorder. She will take the intermediate and call math done! :hurray:

AMAZING! My best friend's daughter is dyslexic. I'm so happy for her!
Ideas Wrote:Congratulations for sticking with it so many times and getting through it Smile That is sad you had professors give up on you. I'm glad you still have confidence in yourself Smile

I think it's just that this brain damage - I guess they believed I had a certain level of capability because I "sound" intelligent - they got frustrated because while concepts made sense, it would sound like they were speaking a foreign languate or like reading the jabberwocky poem to me over and over - just gobbledy-goop. I even had tutors get frustrated and walk out. I realized that I receive information better by reading it and doing it than listening to lectures or have someone tell me how to do something.

It's the way my brain now processes information - difficult for some concepts to be received verbally and "stick" + short term memory damage... Anyways this has been so empowering. thank you so much for this forum. You guys rock :-)
Ideas Wrote:Congratulations for sticking with it so many times and getting through it Smile That is sad you had professors give up on you. I'm glad you still have confidence in yourself Smile

I think it's just that this brain damage - I guess they believed I had a certain level of capability because I "sound" intelligent - they got frustrated because while concepts made sense, it would sound like they were speaking a foreign languate or like reading the jabberwocky poem to me over and over - just gobbledy-goop. I even had tutors get frustrated and walk out. I realized that I receive information better by reading it and doing it than listening to lectures or have someone tell me how to do something.

It's the way my brain now processes information - difficult for some concepts to be received verbally and "stick" + short term memory damage... Anyways this has been so empowering. thank you so much for this forum. You guys rock :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,018 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,380 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,209 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,938 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 604 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 872 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 917 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,412 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 817 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,892 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia